Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Język polski

Tak sobie pomyślałam, że to bardzo znamienne... Na forum dot. Japonii, na którym udzielają się fascynaci kultury "kraju kwitnącej wiśni" (nie-Japończycy) wszystko po japońsku, na forum hiszpańskim sytuacja analogiczna. Na naszym jedynie narzekania na słabą znajomość angielskiego wśród Polaków.

Nie zdziwię się jaśli ta "nitka" pozostanie bez komentarza

Re: Język polski

so...you're saying we should 'talk' in Polish??

Well ... I won't be writing in Polish

The whole idea of using English is that the debate is open to non-Poles.

I am a very slow typer in Polish. Prefer English for this type of exchange. Wole po angielsku

... which to be honest makes the place a whole lot more stimulating.

How's your Polish coming along Hans?

So, so. I think I understood the basics of the message - using Japanese to discuss Japan and Spanish to discuss Spain.

I know the basics. Not enough to have a conversation. But enough to communicate crude meaning using vocabulary. That's enough for me.

Using English, however, opens up the board to all. Besides the opinions of Poles who don't use English aren't worth bothering with - in my view! It shows a rather insular closed outlook. Typical of buraks - PiS / LPR voters.

"Typical of buraks - PiS / LPR voters."

CLASSIC. Hans you are more Polish than you'd like to admit brother

Maybe .

There are some Polish features and habits I don't wish to adopt.

What's that weird strip at the top of a room wall all about? The one that Poles add to make the ceilings on already low ceilings look lower !

To be honest, I have seen those at the country/village homes a few times. This was many years ago. Yes it is not exactly highly decorative but whatever...local custom.

Thanks boys.
My point was not that we SHOULD use Polish. I only meant it could be natural to have some conversations in Polish with people trying maby to use their skills in the language of the country they are interested in.
No problem for me...
(I sometimes think this interest is not really deeply grounded)

Signed: a PiS voter

My in-laws just decorated their whole house that way. I couldn't get my wife to translate what I wanted to say to my father-in-law and he didn't understand my Polish attempts at good-natured ridicule .

They must live in a small town or a large village then. You know what they say Hans - when in Rome...

Down with PiS

The whole ideal and appeal of the board is that people the world over can read an informed outsiders view of Poland. As for PiS - a burak party, nothing more. Like it or not, Poland is now a laughing stock in the WORLD's media because of them.

Sorry, Lilka.

"They must live in a small town or a large village then. You know what they say Hans - when in Rome..."

Yes, quite right - a small town. New house though.

How about this then, Lilka.

PiS to partia burakow .

I agree Poland is now Europes big joke. Pis have not done anything but make Poland look stupid.

Very sad, I saw it coming and fled

The problem with the flow of information from Poland outside is that often the view of "the more informed foreigners" is enough and noone really wants to hear what Poles have to say.
You can find the news about Teletubbies riot on BBC but you wont find the innformation on 5 families (200 waiting for the end of their trials) loosing their property that is to be given back to people who left Poland in 70', acquired money for the land and who are suing Poland now promped to do it by their government... and so on and so forth.
Just an example...

Kurcze, sama staram się nikogo nie urazić a czuję się jakby mi ciągle gasili peta na czole

"You can find the news about Teletubbies riot on BBC but you wont find the innformation on 5 families (200 waiting for the end of their trials) loosing their property that is to be given back to people who left Poland in 70', acquired money for the land and who are suing Poland now promped to do it by their government... and so on and so forth."

So Lilka, let's hear such stories from you in English. I'm sure we'd all like to be able to read such news here.

Looking forward to your first news report.

"The problem with the flow of information from Poland outside is that often the view of "the more informed foreigners" is enough and noone really wants to hear what Poles have to say."

Typical PiS propaganda. Lilka, granted, I am not a Polish citizen but I assure you I know plenty of accomplished Poles who share my views regarding PiSs

I never voted PiS. Never would.

We all know Magdalena you are cool

Propaganda has nothing to do with the fact that I check the news on BBC and other foreign sources to read what "the world" learns about my country and compare it to what really matters here. There are differences I assure you, Mike.

It's like that in any country, Lilka. Dajwid was referring to the view from the outside. I can tell you Poles (and others) have a media-crafted view of the US which is far from accurate.

I lived in Poland, built a business in Poland from scratch, own property in Poland so that entitles me to an opinion.

My little nephews and nieces (born American) speak Polish and spend their summers in Poland. Unlike your average tourist visiting Krakow we actually give a damn about Poland.

It's not about being cool.

I have no problems with the international reporting of Polish news. I suggest the Gazeta Wyborcza, for balanced open reporting in Polish.

It's not a popular paper with PiS voters.

Yes, Mike. I don't suggest you don't know a thing and you sould not share your oppinions. On the contrary, you may have a fresh eye and see things that escape Polish observers. I'd only be satysfied if someone sometimes said "all right, she could have her point" instead of "this must be ridiculous - she is a PiS voter".

I'd suggest "Dziennik" for balanced news - just my oppinion

My wife tells me that PiS / Radio Maria types are always bleating that interferring foreigners are to blame for everything wrong in Poland. It's the usual nationalistic response. The Nazis did the same. BNP do the same thing to get votes in England.

" I'd only be satysfied if someone sometimes said "all right, she could have her point" instead of "this must be ridiculous - she is a PiS voter".
"

OK, please, start by opening a thread about those people who left in the 1970s and now want their property back. I assume you are talking about the Poles who claimed some dilute German ancestry in order to go and clean toilets in Germany?

I have no idea what they did back in Germany. Could we arrange it for tomorrow? I'm a tired pregnant woman spending too much time in front of PC, waiting for her husband to come back from work (he left at 7 a.m.)

Good night, everyone.

"Could we arrange it for tomorrow?"

Super.

Good night. What does your husband do?

I only know a handful of Polish words .

Are they rude ones Neil?

Dzjenkuja, prosha, spadej (get lost!), piwo, herbata, kawa, kocham cie, jeden, dwa, pzeprasham, kurwa

And Hans's favourite - borak.

I can't spell in Polish.

Thank you Hans for teaching me borak. Very useful.

What would 'you fucking borak' be? Kurwa borak?

'ty pierdolony buraku'

well those should pretty much get you by Neil

I liked reading Neil's Polish - this is why I like reading trashy American literature translated into Polish: I can see how to spell the words I use.

The newspapers are useless for learning Polish because they are so divorced from the language of everyday people (and I don't mean vulgarisms, just normal stuff), as is Polish literature.