Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boom times for McDonalds Poland

McDonald's to grow in Poland

McDonald's Corp. aims to double its outlets in Poland to 420 over the next 10 years, making the country one of its five biggest European markets. The Oak Brook-based firm expects 2007 revenue growth to outpace last year's 17 percent gain in the country of 38 million people, Piotr Jucha, managing director of McDonald's Polska, said Thursday in Warsaw. McDonald's, which rolled out its first Warsaw restaurant in 1992, faces growing competition in Poland's expanding fast-food market. AmRest SA, which operates Pizza Hut and KFC outlets in Poland, also is opening new stores. Burger King, which opened its first Polish eatery last month, plans to set up seven more this year. "We have about 60 percent of Poland's fast-food market, and in the most modest scenario, we want to keep this position," Jucha said. "We are modernizing our restaurants, adding new locations and constantly changing our menu." This year, McDonald's will start selling breakfast in Poland and widen its range of coffees, he said. It is negotiating with Poland's third-biggest mobile-phone company on introducing free Internet access at all of its restaurants in Poland. McDonalds will soon also allow credit card payment.

Re: Boom times for McDonalds Poland

Anyone noticed how fat the avarage Pole is getting .

"Burger King, which opened its first Polish eatery last month, plans to set up seven more this year."

They have already been here and escaped so this will be teir second try - I can remember a Burger King adverts with Boguś Linda in early ninghties I think.

There was a Burger King here in Gorzow that opened in the late 90s and closed after a few years. I guess they want to try again. There was also a Pizza Hut that closed down.

A lot of people tell me how much they dislike McDonald's and all it stands for, that it is not good food, that they manipulate children with their marketing, etc. I always ask how many of them have been forced to eat at a McDonald's. That usually quiets them. We have two McDonald's restuarants here in Gorzow and they are both consistently packed. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a McDonald's that wasn't packed here in Poland. Scratch that, I once stopped at the one in Pulawy, and it only had a few customers at that moment.

They did a UK survey on mcdonalds vs other convenience foods and found that it actually has less fat than supposed healthy choices like sandwiches.

The only good thing about these places is that if you are caught short you can use the loo in there without having to buy anything. Mind you I seem to remember Mcdonalds in Berlin in 1987 having an old lady asking for change before you could use the facilities!

"A lot of people tell me how much they dislike McDonald's and all it stands for, that it is not good food, that they manipulate children with their marketing, etc."

It's very PC to pretend you don't like or eat in McDonalds. As you say it's incredibly strange why these places are always full - especially in Poland.

I admit to sometimes grabbing a burger there if very hungry, but, I much prefer Burger King or KFC, if there is a choice.

"They did a UK survey on mcdonalds vs other convenience foods and found that it actually has less fat than supposed healthy choices like sandwiches. "

Are you sure

Have you ever seen the plastic chemical-filled bread being delivered to McDonalds by the thousands in dirty trucks. McDonalds certainly isn't the healthy choice.

"The only good thing about these places is that if you are caught short you can use the loo in there without having to buy anything."

Not in Warsaw - you need to have a bill.

This is an article on the survey I probably mean.

High street sandwiches 'loaded with fat'

Health campaigners have accused High Street chains of selling sandwiches loaded with fat.

A survey found some sandwiches contribute around two-thirds of the amount of fat health professionals suggest women should have in a whole day.

The research was conducted by diet and fitness website DailyDietTracker.co.uk, which analysed the contents of almost 50 sandwiches available in well-known retailers.

The highest content was found in a cheese and onion sandwich from Marks & Spencer, which has 41.9g of fat per pack. It contains red Leicester and medium Cheddar cheese, mayonnaise and salad cream.

Obesity crisis>

The Food Standards Agency suggests no more than 35% of the daily energy intake for an average adult should come from fat.

This works out at around 86g of fat for an average man and 61g for an average women.

The Marks & Spencer sandwich, priced £1.40, provides more than two-thirds of the guideline daily fat intake for women and almost half the figure for men.

Cheese-based sandwiches featured prominently in the list of fattiest sandwiches in the survey.

In second place was a mixed cheese and onion sandwich from supermarket chain Asda with 41g of fat, followed by a red Leicester and Spanish red onion variety from bakery chain Greggs, containing 37g of fat.

Sandwiches from Tesco, Sainsbury's and Pret-a-Manger also feature in the top 10.

The companies pointed out they also offered low-fat sandwiches and provided customers with nutritional information to enable them to make a choice.

Marks & Spencer's egg and cress sandwich had the lowest fat content in the survey, at just 4.7g per pack.

A ham salad sandwich from Waitrose contained 4.8g of fat and a Tesco Healthy Living prawn and mayonnaise sandwich 4.9g.

Jacqueline Hewitt, dietician at DailyDietTracker.co.uk, said: "A diet high in fat contributes to the rising obesity problem which has implications for diabetes and cancers.

"It increases risk of coronary heart disease by elevating blood cholesterol levels and, in some cases, diets high in fat reduce the intake of other essential vitamins and minerals such as iron and vitamin C."

Low-fat options

Amanda Johnson, a spokeswoman for the British Dietetic Association, said: "It is important that people look at the label of pre-packed sandwiches because the ones loaded with mayonnaise and meats can be high in fat."

The British Sandwich Association estimates that more than 2.4 billion sandwiches are bought in Britain every year, generating sales of £3.5 billion.

Almost one in five sandwiches are bought in the workplace, 18.6% in supermarkets, 18% in sandwich bars and 17.6% in bakers.

Marks & Spencer said in a statement: "We have over 70 sandwiches in our product range, offering a variety of fillings, types of bread, calorie content and fat levels, which provide our customers with a wide choice depending on their needs and preferences."

Sainsbury's said: "For health-conscious customers we offer 15 sandwiches in the Be Good To Yourself range, all of which contain less than 3% fat."

Asda commented: "We provide customers with the choice of standard or low-fat sandwiches in our Food To Go fridges.

"We have 17 varieties in the Good For You sandwich range, including those included in the survey."

A Tesco spokesman said: "All our sandwiches show full nutritional information which is not something customers get from some other shops selling sandwiches."

A spokesman for Greggs said: "Our recipes are outstandingly successful and our customers should be reassured that we will not compromise taste, texture or customer satisfaction in our traditional products."

A spokeswoman for Pret-a-Manger, questioned about its ham, cheese and mustard sandwich, said: "This is a sandwich which is very heavy at 300g in weight so it works out at 9.5% fat.

"If you want a sandwich like this you can have it, but you can also get lighter sandwiches." The 10 sandwiches in the survey highest in fat are:

1. Marks & Spencer cheese and onion (41.9g fat) 2. Asda mixed cheese and spring onion (41g) 3. Greggs red Leicester and Spanish red onion (37g) 4. Sainsbury's cheese and onion (35.7g) 5. Greggs tuna and sweetcorn (34.8g) 6. Asda prawn and mayonnaise (34.7g) 7. Tesco smoked ham and cheddar (33.1g) 8. Pret-a-Manger ham, cheese and mustard (32.3g) 9. Tesco egg and cress (30.7g) 10. Pret-a-Manger mature Cheddar and pickle (30.3g)

http://news.homesandproperty.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.html?in_article_id=320214&in_page_id=17

The following is an extract from a similar article on junk food
(link to full article below)

"So why are some fatty foods defined as "junk", but others are not? Government ministers and celebrity chefs look down their noses at French fries (which in McDonald's contain about 5g of fat), and at the same time think nothing of tucking into a dish like duck a l'orange (which can contain 15 to 20g of fat in a single serving). "

HAMBURGERS
McDONALD'S:
Hamburger and strawberry milkshake
640 calories
18g fat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6187234.stm

"Have you ever seen the plastic chemical-filled bread being delivered to McDonalds by the thousands in dirty trucks. McDonalds certainly isn't the healthy choice."

I would not say it is a healthy choice and I would not subject my body to it (what was that film again...."super size me"). However, I thought it was interesting that it is lower fat than some items which are not labelled as junk food.

"Anyone noticed how fat the avarage Pole is getting"

People in general are getting fat all over the place. It's disgusting.

"Not in Warsaw - you need to have a bill. "

I see not much has changed in Poland post communism! I remember my friend telling a story about going to a public toilet in Poland in communist times. You would give the babcia a grosz (they were still legal tender in those days!) and she would give you a single sheet of toilet paper. My friend had a little emergency and needed more paper and there followed a frantic exchange of groszy under the toilet door and more sheets of paper!

What really annoys me is that if you go a London club they have these african women (I think all the ones I have seen are african) and they sit there with lots of perfumes and tissues, cotton wool all sorts of delights for women and a coin tray. So you go to the loo and you cannot just do your business and go. You are courted with a smile and a hello and encouraged to wipe your hands on some luxury soft paper towels instead of the drying machine and invited to sample the large range of perfumes etc. The coin tray is "optional"......so even if I don't partake of any of these "optional" extras I feel guilty because you know she will scowl if you don't put a £1 in the tray....

"What really annoys me is that if you go a London club they have these african women (I think all the ones I have seen are african) and they sit there with lots of perfumes and tissues, cotton wool all sorts of delights for women and a coin tray."

Same in every decent club in US

Decent? I think it's indecent if you can't even go to the loo without being bothered by someone who wants money! Some things in life should be free, especially if you have paid to get into a club or have paid for a meal.

that's funny. Clubs are a tough business, they have to make money on whatever they can. You can always be 'that person' who doesn't tip the bathroom wench;)

At usually £5 or more for a drink plus an entrance fee I consider the "bathroom wench's" salary paid.

Also we don't have a tipping culture in the UK like you do in the US Mike.

Do thse women collecting money also hang around in male toilets? I'm not a clubber .

Decent? I think it's indecent if you can't even go to the loo without being bothered by someone who wants money! Some things in life should be free, especially if you have paid to get into a club or have paid for a meal.

McDonald is one of the only places in Poland for a free poo, maybe that is why it is doing so well.

As for tipping Brits tip if it is worth it, americans tip anyway.
Poles tip much like Brits, if the service is worth it.

"At usually £5 or more for a drink plus an entrance fee I consider the "bathroom wench's" salary paid. "

Now I know you're from Myslenice;)

All those parsimonious Scotts....

"Do thse women collecting money also hang around in male toilets? I'm not a clubber "

That's a very good point Neil. Mike you seem to go clubbing. Do you get some bloke sitting in the mens room with a coin tray and spraying you with aftershave while you use the urinal?

"Now I know you're from Myslenice;)

All those parsimonious Scotts.... "

ok you are coming up with some interesting snippets today (like the sarmatia comment which I was not aware of). What is the scotts connection with Myslenice...?

Someone I was talking to today said that scots settled all over Poland. Merchants, traders etc. I was only aware of the mercenary soldiers in gdansk.

"What is the scotts connection with Myslenice...?"

I told you about that joke -- Scotts who were expelled from their native land for being too frivelous settled in Krakow area.

My clubbing days are pretty much over, but yes, when I do get out there is always a Hatian demanding a tip for the spray of fake Polo Sport.

As far as Poland, there are bathroom wenches all over the place.

Ania, my Sarmatian comment is 100% accuarate. Perhaps someone else well versed in Polish history can back me up on it.

In W-wa Centralna McDonald's has no toilet.
Too many bums in more ways than one.