Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joint history of Britain and Poland

I was inspired by a comment of Mike's about Scots in Poland to put up this thread which I thought might be an interesting topic.

I've just read that Bonnie Prince Charlie was half Polish, being descended on his mother's side from Jan Sobieski and his fifth name was Casimir.
I was wondering if anyone has any more historical links between the two nations.

Re: Joint history of Britain and Poland

Canute the Great was the son of our first king's sister Świętosława (Sigrid, Storrada), that is the grandson of Mieszko I. Bolesław Chrobry (the uncle) helped Canute conquerring England sending him reinforcememts.

John Dee (a court magician of Elisabethan era) after beeing expelled from the court of Jacob I worked in Kraków at the Jagiellonian University where the only Departament of Magic was created. He could have been the inspiration for the legend of Master Twardowski. The legend says that Twardowski helped king Zygmunt August meet the ghost of his beloved wife Barbara Radziwiłłówna. He used a mirror that can be seen now in the church in Węgrów. John Dee used a mirror where his helping spirit appeared - Uriel... Can you remenber a guy called Prospero? And Ariel?

British pilots helping Warsaw Uprising and Polish pilots helping defeat London in the Battle of England.

defend

John Dee was a true loony.
Great link.
Bonnie Prince Charlie was a right charlie in the end - heroic failure who led a doomed rebellion which ended up in the rape of the Highlands (and the destruction of their culture) for which he cared little.

and Canute?

Good bloke - legend says he took the mick out of his yes-men ... as every English child of my generation was taught.

Denis McShane - former Min. for Europe
Father was Polish, but he ditched his name for unclear reasons. Strangely, some Irish mothers of that era hated the Polish background of their husbands - so "Matyjaszek" was dumped.
Nice.