Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Nazis reduced Poland's EU voting rights

PM Kaczynski says Poland would have more power in EU if Germany had not reduced the population in WWII

Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski is essentially challenging the new EU voting mechanism on the grounds that Poland would have a higher population if the Germans had not killed so many Poles during WWII.

"If Poland had not had to live through the years of 1939-45, Poland would be today looking at the demographics of a country of 66 million," Kaczynski said. "We are only demanding one thing, that we get back what was taken from us."

Poland has proposed using the square roots of national populations to narrow the voting power gap between large states like Germany and smaller ones.

Re: The Nazis reduced Poland's EU voting rights

Oh dear...

When is the next election? I am sure I am allowed a proxy vote if I get my Polish citizenship set up.

I sincerely hope that the Polish people see sense at the next election and send these pantomime twins back home to their mum.

Their cynical world view and self riteous arrogance is doing no one any good.

The often xenophobic Sun wrote this:

POLAND may have come to Britain’s rescue AGAIN to stop Germany dominating Europe — after its Nazi jibes threatened Treaty talks.

The plucky Poles — whose pilots helped win the Battle of Britain — sparked a bitter punch-up, by accusing Hitler’s Germany of wiping out one fifth of its people in the Second World War.

They demanded more voting powers in the Treaty to compensate for its population being slashed by the Nazis.

That broke an unwritten rule among EU leaders of NEVER mentioning the war. And if the summit collapses, it may let Tony Blair off the hook from signing away British power.

One in eight RAF fighter pilots in the Battle of Britain was Polish. Hitler killed six million Poles during the war.

Swedish foreign minister insults Poland

Polska jest krajem jak z innej planety - ocenił szwedzki minister spraw zagranicznych Carl Bildt, komentując na swoim blogu nieustępliwe stanowisko Polski w sprawie sposobu głosowania w Radzie UE podczas pierwszego dnia szczytu unijnego w Brukseli.

They're behaving like a country from another planet, he says after the first day of the EU summit.
What a wazzark!

"If Poland had not had to live through the years of 1939-45, Poland would be today looking at the demographics of a country of 66 million," Kaczynski said. "We are only demanding one thing, that we get back what was taken from us."

Pure speculation about Poland's population - and in any case, 66 million would be gross overpopulation.

This shower must go, before they reduce the country to a laughing stock.

Pause all EU funding for Poland until it gets itself sorted out!

The guy is clearly half-witted.

My mum believes this has been taken out of context. I cannot see how this is possible. Anyone have a transcript?

Having read a few articles on the subject I am starting to think this foot in mouth comment is not necessarily a bad thing. It brings the whole WWII crap into the open as it has clearly been festering between Poland and Germany for years. Maybe talking about it openly will finally enable both countries to heal their relationship rather than continue drifting further apart. Although clearly a political faux pas, it is an issue which divides and maybe addressing it is no bad thing in order to move forward.

No comment!