Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
British factory snubs girl who can't speak Polish

UK FACTORY SNUBS GIRL WHO CAN'T TALK POLISH

A BRITISH woman was turned down for a job at a local factory - because she could not speak Polish.

Bosses at the food processing plant told her their staff were mainly Poles - and claimed she would not fit in.

And last night the unnamed teenager's MP claimed it was not an isolated case.

Tory Malcolm Moss warned it would spark racial tensions if it was allowed to continue.

And the Cambridge-shire North East MP added: "It has highlighted a growing problem and can only breed resentment.

"People are going to think, 'What's the point of trying to get a job?'

"They will worry about their employment prospects - but can't speak out because they're terrified of being called racists."

Immigration Minister Liam Byrne has now pledged an investigation into the shambles.

Experts believe 16,000 immigrants A MONTH are coming to Britain from Poland and other east European countries.

http://www.people.co.uk

Re: British factory snubs girl who can't speak Polish

A more detailed article :

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/text/article.html?in_article_id=462911&in_page_id=1770&in_main_section=&in_sub_section=&in_chn_id=

The British workers denied jobs 'because they can't speak Polish'
By ANDY DOLAN

British job- seekers are being refused work because they do not speak Polish, it has been claimed.

The influx of Eastern European workers means the language is now vital for jobs in agriculture, says MP Malcolm Moss.

His North East Cambridgeshire constituency has seen the arrival of a huge number of migrant workers to pick fruit and vegetables, as well as fill other low-paid jobs in packing and food processing plants.

Many of the farms and companies involved rely on local job agencies or gangmasters to supply workers.

Mr Moss told yesterday how a constituent had been denied work at one factory because she did not speak Polish.

"A woman came to my surgery to tell me about her daughter's experience when she was looking for work," he said.

"The daughter was aged 18 or 19 and had been to the job centre, where there was little work.

"Instead she was told to try the local factories in person.

"They, in turn told her they did not recruit directly and referred her on to a gangmaster who held the contract to supply the staff."

Mr Moss added: "This particular gangmaster told the woman, 'If you don't speak Polish I can't put you on the assembly line, because they all speak Polish.

"They won't accept you, and you won't be able to communicate with them anyway".

"This is obvious discrimination. It is no wonder that youth unemploymentis on the rise."

Mr Moss, a Tory MP, said the incident was reported to him at a constituency surgery early last year. He did not remember the woman's name or the factory involved.

He raised the incident publicly during a House of Commons debate on the effect of immigration in Cambridgeshire last week.

Mr Moss said it was indicative of the problems caused by large-scale immigration in his area.

"It is not just Polish workers", he said, "there are also Estonians, Lithuanians and others.

"Local people cannot get jobs in the factories in which historically they worked. I have tried each and every way to find a solution to the problem.

"Where have the indigenous population gone? These are people who do not have cars and cannot travel to find a job, so where are they in the local community?"

Mr Moss said it was no good arguing that the migrants were only taking the jobs that locals didn't want.

"In my constituency, they are doing jobs that my people did a few years ago. Let us not kid ourselves - there is displacement."

He also called for action to tackle gangmasters who exploit Eastern European workers by bringing them to the county, paying them poverty wages, and making them live in crowded accommodation at exorbitant rents.

Figures released last month revealed a massive influx of immigrants to Britain from the former Eastern Bloc since 11 countries including Poland, Estonia and Lithuania, joined the EU in 2004.

Around 640,000 Eastern Europeans, most of them Poles, have registered to work in Britain.

But the figure could be as high as 800,000, experts believe, because in most cases the Government keeps no record of the self- employed, spouses or children.

Sounds like there is a deliberate effort to keep locals out and create a situation where the Poles cannot learn English. This way they can be exploited to the max, paid subsistence wages, not be aware of their rights and treated like slave labour.

I think it's a good thing this has been exposed - but not for the reasons mentioned in the article. I hope they expose this racket for what it is. Pity they have not named the factories concerned.

"Sounds like there is a deliberate effort to keep locals out and create a situation where the Poles cannot learn English. This way they can be exploited to the max, paid subsistence wages, not be aware of their rights and treated like slave labour. "

In most cases Poles don't want to or need to learn English. They live in Polish ghettos within the UK. Sometimes 10 or more in one house meant for two adults. They are very happy to work and live in these conditions. Much like the Jews lived in Poland prior to 1945 for centuries, and as Poles have done in places like Chicago for generations. They obviously like it this way. That's why they keeping coming. 16,000+ new arrivals from Poland each and every week.

The UK is heaven on earth compared to their life in Poland.

Such exploitation must be stamped out. The only reason these companies don't want to give jobs to locals is because they can't fob them off with no rights and low wages.

Maybe. However, no-one is forcing these Poles to come to the UK. They do it only because life is better here.

How do you know they are not forced to stay? They might be trapped here and blackmailed by these "gangmasters" for all we know. If they don't speak any English they won't be able to find out their rights.

It all sounds very suspect.

It sounds suspect indeed. I suspect the girl was sent there by the job centre or whatever they're called nowadays.

How can you turn the story round and blame the company for exploiting Poles

The story was about, the Brit not fitting in as she would be an outcast, I don't suppose they thought she could learn Polish OK maybe not

Minimum wages would still apply, but very few brits will work for min wage. Poles getting paid min are not being exploited as in Poland they would be on 5-6 PLN per hour so 5x that is not too bad.
If they feel exploited simple, leave.

I wonder what will happen when chinese start applying for work in Poland, should be OK if they are not Gay

"In most cases Poles don't want to or need to learn English. They live in Polish ghettos within the UK. Sometimes 10 or more in one house meant for two adults. They are very happy to work and live in these conditions. Much like the Jews lived in Poland prior to 1945 for centuries, and as Poles have done in places like Chicago for generations."

Angela....your ignorance (or racism) is truly disturbing.

These people come to UK in search of a better life or opportunity. These conditions are not permanent.

Jews and Poles are some of the most economically successful groups in the US. Jews did well in Poland for years before the partitions. Learn some history woman!

Have you ever been to a Polish neighborhood in Chicago? Or a Jewish one for that matter?

UK businesses and the country as a whole benefit from their hard work.

Anyway...

"The story was about..."

Newspaper stories and reality rarely match exactly Dajwid. Although you know this because you have used the word "story" rather than "report".

I am sure you yourself have met Poles who have been treated as slave labour under terrible working conditions and subsistence wages. I thought you had many Polish friends over here, they must have heard of such situations through Polish contacts. It is well documented that this is happening and this looks like a prime example of exploitation. Why else do you think they don't want any English working there?

"Why else do you think they don't want any English working there? "

Cost. Lack of awareness among Poles of rights.

I give up!

Bloody hell! Can people not understand plain English. The aim of both articles is to illustrate the undeniable fact that lesser-educated native Britons are now being displaced by foreign workers who will work for less money. This is precisely why we do not allow Polish workers to work in Germany. The newspapers are probably pro-Conservative and print this sort of story to promote negative feelings about the government. It's not out of any love for Poles .

Oh chill out Hans.

The real situation behind this and why it is happening is more important than some stupid article passing on the banal opinion of a tory politician who is trying to get the border BNP voter to see him as a friend.

I've made it pretty clear that I am just as much against such practise as you are. Just because I am against it for other reasons than you does not change the fact that fundamentally we agree that this should not be happening.

I am interested to know why you feel so strongly about this anyway. It is not like you are a resident of the UK or as if you are likely to lose your job because of this situation. Why the expletives?

"Why the expletives? "

People who don't understand their own language .

"He also called for action to tackle gangmasters who exploit Eastern European workers by bringing them to the county, paying them poverty wages, and making them live in crowded accommodation at exorbitant rents. "

Hans based on the extract from the same (but more detailed) article taken from your favourite paper "the daily mail" please could you tell me how I have misinterpreted English in any way shape or form....

I've already answered that:

"Bloody hell! Can people not understand plain English. The aim of both articles is to illustrate the undeniable fact that lesser-educated native Britons are now being displaced by foreign workers who will work for less money. This is precisely why we do not allow Polish workers to work in Germany. The newspapers are probably pro-Conservative and print this sort of story to promote negative feelings about the government. It's not out of any love for Poles"

BTW - my favorite British newspaper is the Daily Telegraph.

"It is not like you are a resident of the UK"

P.S. I am in the process of adding a small property in the UK to my property portfolio . It'll make a nice vacation spot, and is a super investment.

""He also called for action to tackle gangmasters who exploit Eastern European workers by bringing them to the county, paying them poverty wages, and making them live in crowded accommodation at exorbitant rents. ""

LIP SERVICE. BESIDES THE GANGMASTERS ARE ALSO POLISH.

GANGMASTERS ARE POLISH.

It is the Poles stitching up the poles ANIA!!!!!

Lets guesse they are lithuanians with Polish passports

The article is about , what is the bloody point, Ania will have some warped answer anyway.

Why do you think I would be for Polish gangs stitching Poles up Dajwid?

It is precisely this I feel the UK government should be doing more to stop.

Polish gangmasters (or whatever you want to call them) supplying cheap workers to UK companies - I am very much against this. If they don't have contracts and they get paid cash in hand then there is no way to prove they are getting the minimum wage.

I think you just automatically ridicule everything I post Dajwid even if you would normally agree with another poster saying the same thing, because you take this all so personally.

"LIP SERVICE"

Most likely. In reality it's handy for the government to turn a blind eye when the economy is booming.

If they don't have contracts and they get paid cash in hand then there is no way to prove they are getting the minimum wage.

the rate of pay doesn't make a whole lot of difference. the poles running these operations take lots of cuts out for other expenses - rent, transport, other costs.

the workers don't feel so exploited. they are still making much more than they would in poland.

the only people really losing out are the uk tax office, national insurance scheme and the native british who won't now be employed.

this sort of thing does not in the end help the UK economy.

my girl say that for many poles these organised worker schemes are the only option. they speak no english. wouldn't be given a normal job, and could organise accommodation, etc.

90% of poles in the uk can only exist in the uk because of living in polish ghettos, as hans calls them.

"""could not organise"""

most are happy to work and live in such a way.

"this sort of thing does not in the end help the UK economy. "

Well it does because the individual tax revenues lost on anything like this are negligible compared to the efficiencies generated by cheap production. The company ends up paying corporation tax on its profits.

Jews did well in Poland for years before the partitions. Learn some history woman!

not true. jews lived separate from poles in poland. they considered poles unclean and beneath them. this explains in part the polish hatered for jews.

read some bashevis singer some time!

Well it does because the individual tax revenues lost on anything like this are negligible compared to the efficiencies generated by cheap production. The company ends up paying corporation tax on its profits.

sorry. as an economist i can tell you it doesn't.

"most are happy to work and live in such a way"

Not really the point Neil. Ignorance is after a fashion bliss.

This shouldn't be happening. It creates a situation where foreign labour is undercutting the domestic labour force seemingly without the government batting an eyelid - as you say "lip service". This will increase the benefits culture and further deskill even the most unskilled of potential workers.

This shouldn't be happening. It creates a situation where foreign labour is undercutting the domestic labour force seemingly without the government batting an eyelid - as you say "lip service". This will increase the benefits culture and further deskill even the most unskilled of potential workers.

this i can agree with

sorry it wasn't hans but angela who first used the term polish ghetto to describe the way poles live in the uk and ireland

"not true. jews lived separate from poles in poland. they considered poles unclean and beneath them. this explains in part the polish hatered for jews."

This is a rather dressed up explanation of how certain jewish groups view gentiles, rather than how Jews view Poles.

In fact Neil there were Jewish communities which were completely separate from Poles and there were Jews who lived and worked within the Polish community. There was little integration in the way of marriage but much integration in the way of business dealings. Those jews who lived outside the communities in Shtetls tended to be poorer. Those who lived within Polish communities were often wealthy and educated. It was the fact that Jews were allowed to have their own separate communities and carry on their culture that attracted them to Poland when they were being persecuted in other parts of Europe, e.g. spain during the inquisition period. I think in Places like Germany they were forced to integrate.

*viewed not "view"

"polish ghetto "

A rather offensive term.

no it is quite apt

ghetto - refers to very high concentrations of people drawn from a particular ethnic or cultural background living in specific parts of an urban area.

"not true. jews lived separate from poles in poland. they considered poles unclean and beneath them. this explains in part the polish hatered for jews."

This is a rather dressed up explanation of how certain jewish groups view gentiles, rather than how Jews view Poles.

dressed up, no.

the basic facts.

jews sold things to poles. period.

There was little integration in the way of marriage

maybe. but jewish dna is present among many poles.

confusingly different sources will tell completely different stories of jewish and polish contact in poland

Neil
You are right, don't waste your time, Ania will disagree anyway.

These Poles have a choice, they don't speak a word of English, how else will they find work? The leader will take money for rent, transport and other costs. they will finish with about £300 a month. Still more than they could actually save in Poland after paying bills.
They have the choice, simple.
If a person is silly anough to work for peanuts, that is their fault.
As you said it is the Tax and NI that loose out, but Poles fiddling tax and ZUS is normal practice, so that is the biggest problem.

"confusingly different sources will tell completely different stories"

This is the case with most historical research, not just Polish/Jewish history.

Polish/Jewish history is a complex area and is off the original subject. Maybe you should start a new thread if you want to discuss it Neil.

"ghetto - refers to very high concentrations of people drawn from a particular ethnic or cultural background living in specific parts of an urban area."

depends on your dictionary or source as to original definition but these days has negative connotations associated with poverty and squalor.

Poles live all over the place in the UK not in any concentrated or confined area. The post war generation settled on the area along the Thames from Ealing to Hammersmith in London but that's since changed. Maybe outside London that's different but please give examples.

"
depends on your dictionary or source as to original definition but these days has negative connotations associated with poverty and squalor.
"

Most Poles in the UK do live in squalor! The gardens and areas around a local Polish ghetto are overgrown and full of trash. The environmental health are constant visitors. Warning notices have to be translated into Polish at the expense of the taxpayer. A landlord friend rents out bedsits to Poles. They live three or four to a room in order to have more money for alcohol and never clean the place. Polish ghetto is the ideal terminology. My clear and solid example is Exeter - a city in south west England.

"
Well it does because the individual tax revenues lost on anything like this are negligible compared to the efficiencies generated by cheap production. "
"

The UK's economy is not bsed on cheap production.

Angela,

Any economy is more efficient if costs of production are reduced to the minimum. Production costs are passed on in prices which has a knock on effect on inflation. Excessive inflation overstates the real cost of goods and creates an artificial value which makes goods less competitive in international (and domestic) markets.

The UK manufacturing sector has long been in deline and stagnation. Cheap domestic labour can only improve rather than create a deterioration of the current situation. From the point of view of the UK economy it is a win win situation. From the point of view of the social and political fallout it creates it is not....

"The gardens and areas around a Polish ghetto are overgrown and full of trash"

I lived in the UK for a few years (before the invasion of the Poles) and saw exactly the same on council estates so I don't think it is a Polish thing.
Overall I think the gardens and areas around a lot of the UK homes are ugly and badly maintained, peeling paint, overgrown garden (if there is any beside the tarmac , and dirty windows.

I think much depends on where exactly you come from in the UK or anywhere else, for that matter. None of the things Suzanne describes are present in my particular 'neck of the woods'. But then I don't know anyone who lives on a council estate. I imagine though they're very similar to the apartment block estates here in Poland.

"A landlord friend rents out bedsits to Poles. They live three or four to a room in order to have more money for alcohol and never clean the place. "

If your landlord friend allows people to live three or four to a room then he should be reported to environmental health. It is down to a landlord to ensure a property is well maintained and not trashed by tenants. It is also the responsibility of a landlord to ensure living conditions are adequate. Unfortunately many landlords are disinterested in what is happening in rented accommodation and its impact on local residents as long as they receive rent. If he is not happy he should ask the Polish tenants to leave.

" But then I don't know anyone who lives on a council estate. I imagine though they're very similar to the apartment block estates here in Poland. "

I've come across such squalor in the UK when I was looking for student accommodation in Birmingham in my final year at uni. Some of the places you come across as offered for rent are disgusting and not fit for human occupation, in areas you would not even feel safe walking during the day. Much worse than anything I've seen in blocks in Poland. I ended up going for a house with a resident landlady as could not face the awful alternatives.

Probably nobody else would renbt these bedsits!

Much worse than anything I've seen in blocks in Poland.

You haven't seen much of Poland then.

I think we've had the discussion about the state of Polish apartment blocks before.

Many places in Poland still don't have indoor toilets.

"You haven't seen much of Poland then. "

Or you've not seen much of Brum!

"Many places in Poland still don't have indoor toilets. "

Hans some indoor toilets in rented accommodation in the UK might as well be a hole in the ground, in fact a hole in the ground might be more hygienic. There is a programme on TV here where environmental health people go around cleaning up such places which are infested by rats or whatever. There is another UK programme where cleaning ladies go and help ordinary people clean their houses because they have lost control completely. Like the woman who had a pet bird and droppings were all over the floor, her furniture etc.

Ania, You have a funny picture of the UK. I lived there in total for more than six years and for two years off and on in Ireland and never came across such things. I visit three or four times a year. More often than you vist Poland for sure.

Maybe you have spent too much time on these 'sink estates' for blacks, asians and welfare scroungers?

It makes no sense to always make such comments. If you knew Poland, you would see that the place is terribly rundown in every respect compared to most of western Europe. Why else do you think more than one million Poles have left for Britain and Ireland.

"You haven't seen much of Poland then. "

Or you've not seen much of Brum!

True. One trip to the NEC in the 1980s.

"Ania, You have a funny picture of the UK. I lived there in total for more than six years and for two years off and on in Ireland and never came across such things. I visit three or four times a year. More often than you vist Poland for sure. "

Hans as I have pointed out, the experience I have described goes back to looking for rented accommodation as a final year university student in Birmingham, a semi industrial city in the Midlands. Have you been there?

My other comments relate to television programmes about real people/situations in the UK.

I did not make the initial comparison with Poland. Suffice it to say that the places I visit in Poland are far nicer than the places you visit. Lets leave it at that because as you have said, we have already had a protracted debate about Polish blocks.

My point is that there are and always have been areas of squalor in the UK and this is nothing to do with the recent influx of Poles as some people seem to be inferring.

"Hans as I have pointed out, the experience I have described goes back to looking for rented accommodation as a final year university student in Birmingham, a semi industrial city in the Midlands. Have you been there? "

No, I don't think so. But I have visited nearby Warwick and Stratford upon Avon. Didn't see anything as you describe there.

BTW - I've traveled all over Poland over the last few years. Not just the tourist center of Krakow!

"No, I don't think so. But I have visited nearby Warwick and Stratford upon Avon. Didn't see anything as you describe there."

Well those two areas are extremely upmarket compared to parts of Birmingham Hans. They are also outside Birmingham.

There are some very nice parts of Birmingham too by the way. Sutton Coldfield and Edgbaston to name but two. Unfortunately there are pockets of extreme deprivation in between.

"BTW - I've traveled all over Poland over the last few years. Not just the tourist center of Krakow! "

Good for you! Is there a point you are making?

Groan. Yes I think it is plainly obvious what point he is making.

Just that you and others attempt to give the impression that I only know about the area of Poland close to the border. This is not true, at all .

But, please, let's stop this particular debate. We won't agree .

Ania has never agreed with anything if it mentions anything negative about Poland or Poles or positive about Germany or the UK.

As has been said many times. IF IT SO GREAT GO BACK, If THE UK IS CRAP GO HOME!

Then agin do you have a home UK? PL? Maybe that is the problem.?

I might not agree with Ania. But a different opinion is useful. It adds some balance. After all most group members are more negative than positive about today's Poland.

The British workers denied jobs 'because they can't speak Polish'
By ANDY DOLAN

British job- seekers are being refused work because they do not speak Polish, it has been claimed.

The influx of Eastern European workers means the language is now vital for jobs in agriculture, says MP Malcolm Moss.

His North East Cambridgeshire constituency has seen the arrival of a huge number of migrant workers to pick fruit and vegetables, as well as fill other low-paid jobs in packing and food processing plants.

Many of the farms and companies involved rely on local job agencies or gangmasters to supply workers.

Mr Moss told yesterday how a constituent had been denied work at one factory because she did not speak Polish.

"A woman came to my surgery to tell me about her daughter's experience when she was looking for work," he said.

"The daughter was aged 18 or 19 and had been to the job centre, where there was little work.

"Instead she was told to try the local factories in person.

"They, in turn told her they did not recruit directly and referred her on to a gangmaster who held the contract to supply the staff."

Mr Moss added: "This particular gangmaster told the woman, 'If you don't speak Polish I can't put you on the assembly line, because they all speak Polish.

"They won't accept you, and you won't be able to communicate with them anyway".

"This is obvious discrimination. It is no wonder that youth unemploymentis on the rise."

Mr Moss, a Tory MP, said the incident was reported to him at a constituency surgery early last year. He did not remember the woman's name or the factory involved.

He raised the incident publicly during a House of Commons debate on the effect of immigration in Cambridgeshire last week.

Mr Moss said it was indicative of the problems caused by large-scale immigration in his area.

"It is not just Polish workers", he said, "there are also Estonians, Lithuanians and others.

"Local people cannot get jobs in the factories in which historically they worked. I have tried each and every way to find a solution to the problem.

"Where have the indigenous population gone? These are people who do not have cars and cannot travel to find a job, so where are they in the local community?"

Mr Moss said it was no good arguing that the migrants were only taking the jobs that locals didn't want.

"In my constituency, they are doing jobs that my people did a few years ago. Let us not kid ourselves - there is displacement."

He also called for action to tackle gangmasters who exploit Eastern European workers by bringing them to the county, paying them poverty wages, and making them live in crowded accommodation at exorbitant rents.

Figures released last month revealed a massive influx of immigrants to Britain from the former Eastern Bloc since 11 countries including Poland, Estonia and Lithuania, joined the EU in 2004.

"read some bashevis singer some time"

I have....

"If you knew Poland, you would see that the place is terribly rundown in every respect compared to most of western Europe. Why else do you think more than one million Poles have left for Britain and Ireland."

Some parts are. This is slowly changing.

Poles left because of higher wages. The ONLY reason.

Many opinions here are seriously warped and prejudiced.

Dajwid's opinions tend to be accurate.

There is a British lady here who goes out of her way to find negative stories on Poland.

Hans is familiar with Poland but sometimes his Prussian tendencies get the best of him.

Cheers