Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sweden's Eurovision Song Entry - Poland

How's your Swedish?

Sweden's song from this year's Eurovision song contest.

The lyrics are supposed to be unkind to Poles.

Re: Sweden's Eurovision Song Entry - Poland

Ok I am not going to ask why you were researching eurovision Angela, suffice it to say that it's perhaps best to keep such an interest under wraps

Nothing to see here; a song about bored Swedes looking to spend their way to happiness. They want to remodel their house so the missus and bored guy phone a Pole.

Apparently it is news that Poles are remodeling most of Europe.

Magnus Uggla - För kung och fosterland. Melodifestivalen 2007.

(För kung och fosterland)
(För kung och fosterland)

Woah oh, woah oh
Woah oh, woah oh

Vardagens problem sätter par på prov
Vissa går i terapi
Far till bara vara för att få ro
Men så funkar inte vi
Har vi tråkigt min fru och jag
Ringer vi in en skum polack
Källar'n blir till ett hemma-spa
Inga halvmesyrer, tack!

En dag kan hela världen stå i brand
Så kör för kung och fosterland
Köp mera, spendera
Så mycket som du kan
För kung och fosterland

Woah oh, woah oh
Woah oh, woah oh

Vi drar till Paris, shoppar loss som få
Ingen tid får gå till spill
Ser jag något snyggt vill jag köpa två
Kosta vad det kosta vill
Adoption är vår nya grej
Det lättar upp för en liten stund
Vi beställer en gullig tjej
Och sen köper vi en hund

Köp mera, spendera
Så mycket som du kan
För kung och fosterland

Vi lever varje timme som att allting ska ta slut
Vi struntar gärna i kritiken om vårt överflöd
Väsker, skor och möbler måste alltid bytas ut
Imorgon kan man faktiskt vara död

En dag kan
Köp mera, spendera
Så mycket som du kan
För kung och fosterland

Köp mera, spendera
Så mycket som du kan
För kung och fosterland

För kung och fosterland
För kung och fosterland

Hey, I don't speak (or read) Swedish, but words "skum polack" certainly sound unpleasant.

I hope it means "nice Pole" or something .

Nope does not mean "nice"

If it gets through then I guess it will get "nil point" from Poland!

Here's a link to an article in Swedish:

Swedish Pop Song 2007

You should be able to make out the gist of the article.

I'll ask my Swedish friend to tell me more.

It's actually an old story from earlier this year. They didn't win. Enough said.

http://www.softcom.net/webnews/wed/db/Usweden-uggla.RG_A_HM1.html

The singer is very popular and not the usual eurovision type at all.

Some words straight from the dictionary:

Swedish entry word
skum [skum:] skumt skumma adj.
dåligt upplyst, mörk
English translation
dark, dirty, murky

Swedish entry word
skum [skum:] skumt skumma adj.
misstänkt, suspekt; illa beryktad
English translation
shady, suspicious, fishy; disreputable
Examples
skumma affärer---shady business

Shady; Murky: these would be used in the context of black market or non-sanctioned. Is it a secret that there are a lot of Poles working “under-the-table”?

"Is it a secret that there are a lot of Poles working “under-the-table”?"

Granted. There's exactly as many of them in Sweden as Swedes who wish to hire Poles "under-the-table".

So a "skum Swede" wants to hire a "skum Polack", right?

BTW, usually they hire not single Poles but entire teams of workers. So who's more "skum": a Swede who commits, say, five crimes by hiring five Poles, or a Pole who commits one crime by working for a Swede?

I believe it came 18th so could not have been that good.

Mind you the standard of Eurovision these days is dire to say the least. Needless to say I am not a fan and don't understand the appeal.

yea, all that moaning and complaining about Poles working under the table by these Brits and Swedes…except they are the ones doing all the hiring.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

The weekday problem am putting couple on trial Certain going today therapy Father to only product for that poll peace But so function nots wes Have we bore mine wife and self Calling wes in a foam Pole Cave am becoming to one housewife spa Inga halvmesyrer , cheers! One day able heal the world be in ablaze So kör for king and fosterland Bargain more , spend As much as you tin For king and fosterland Woah ah woah ah Woah ah woah ah Wes am leaving to Paris , shop relax as poll None term sheep go to play Am seeing self somewhat tidy shall self buys two Cost what the cost shall Adoption is ours nya thing The easier up for awhile Wes order a darling tjej And late am buying wes one hundred One day able heal the world be in ablaze So kör for king and fosterland Bargain more , spend As much as you tin For king and fosterland Wes liver hourly as that everything ska ends Wes not care deed in contempt if wart abundance Case , fragile and furniture must always exchange out Imorgon able husband really product dead One day able One day able heal the world be in ablaze So kör for king and fosterland Bargain more , spend As much as you tin For king and fosterland One day able heal the world be in ablaze So kör for king and fosterland Bargain more , spend As much as you tin For king and fosterland

Free online translators are rubbish

"foam Pole"
I love it!

That's hilarious Dajwid!

For once you have made me laugh instead of cry

Uggla is a bizarre little troll but in this song he is ripping on the Swedes more than the Poles.