Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost souls

How do Poles that have moved from Poland for one reason or another feel?

1st 2nd 3rd Generation.

I would have thought 2nd generation would have nothing to do with Poland at all.

Re: Lost souls

It varies. Depends entirely on the individual and their upbringing and experiences.

By the 3rd generation I don't believe they could call themselves Polish in any way. White populations integrate quickly in white surroundings.

"White populations integrate quickly in white surroundings."

Not always.

Look at Brits in Spain.
And certain Poles in the UK !

Just seems we expect Non whites to intergrate and consider themselve British when they move to the UK but Poles will still proudly go on as to how great it is to be Polish forever, apart from new imigrants that still feel like the underdog.
I watched 'America has talent' last night and there were some eastern Europeans with really bad English doing the America is great bit. Are they still Hungerian, russian, polish or what nationality are they. they have sworn eligence to America in doing so given Up their nationality to become American???

I don't know!! When I was in Poland I bought Polish as much as I could, I still prouly wear Polish Tshirts. I felt Polish in poland (although I was still a brit).

My grandparents came from Poland, and I have made a few visit to Poland, and I am 100% Polish-American.
A part of my heart is still in Poland, and will be there forever.

We have to be proud to be Polish-Americans.

So that makes you American, as apposed to Polish. Your parents were American, you were born in the USA. You are American surely. I can't see how after digging a couple generations back to find roots we can then pick our nationality. my great grandmother was Irish. Should I say that I am Irish/English?
The chances are that if you dig enough they could have been from anywhere in Europe 'Even German'.

Surely that's an american thing? Going back centuries to your ancestral roots. I wonder how long it will be before we call ourselves Europeans rather than Brits, Poles, French etc?

True very true

I feel I am just as Polish as you are and I have only been to Poland once in my life. I may not know daily living there but I speak the language fluently and traditionally am Polish. You are not a place you are who you are.

My view is that we all choose some sort of identity for ourselves. Choosing to think of yourself as a Polish-American rather than an American is no different to the choices made by every individual every day - style of clothing, the car you drive, attitudes, etc.

I have no problem with Michael Dabrowski thinking of himself as 100% Polish-American. What I find bewildering is his seeming inability to make any sort of even half-way sensible comment on any discussion point or news item .

Your parents make those first choices for you. We spoke Polish at home, ate pierogi, cooked Polish meals, read the Dziennik Polski, went to Polish dance classes, followed the Polish soccer teams we even drove five hours to Cleveland to see the soccer team that won the world cup. We cried when our Polish Pope was elected every Pole here was excited. Being American is a misnomer the only true Americans are the Indians.

"My view is that we all choose some sort of identity for ourselves. Choosing to think of yourself as a Polish-American rather than an American is no different to the choices made by every individual every day - style of clothing, the car you drive, attitudes, etc"

Do you think it's that simple Hans? This would mean that someone could just decide to be say Japanese one day.

Identity is more to do with culture and upbringing, not something that you really choose, but something you are given. In reality we are all basically the same but this identity we are given colours our views.

I agree Ania, and if Mike D. was brought up with Polish culture even if he lives in America he is Polish. Being American is not necessarily your nationality. So whether you are second or third generation doesn't matter.I

I think nationality and national identity or culture are seen as different things. Nationality is usually deemed to be based on citizenship.

If someone say british goes to live in say Australia and becomes an Australian citizen, they will automatically be an Australian national but will still retain their British national identity. I mean they aren't likely to be saying g'day and bonzer very quickly are they. Maybe their kids will say bonzer and g'day but unlike their aussie compatriots will also like chips and mushy peas, washed down with a pint of bitter whilst watching coronation street on satellite telly. Maybe they will end up coming to the UK to live and work permanently because they had british born parents.

I guess in a way former colonies are a case in point. They have been taken over to the extent that the original invading national identity has become the nationality, to the detriment of the original culture. I guess it's an evolving, fuzzy thing.

Let's be honest. Grandparents don't have much of an effect on the culture of someone in their 60s. Michael D is American grasping desparately for some sort of cultural root system. The red Indians were also immigrants to the US.

"Grandparents don't have much of an effect on the culture of someone in their 60s. "

Why do you think this Angela?

Grandparents are often around in formative years when identity is formed or they form the identity of parents who then pass their customs etc on. People become very attached to this identity, particularly if they had great affection/respect for parents or grandparents.