Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Polish bicyclist crashes into police car

Polish bicyclist crashes into police car

WARSAW, Poland, May 18: Polish police said they arrested a heavily intoxicated 80-year-old man who tried to crash his bicycle into their patrol car.

Police officers were stunned by the man's blood alcohol level of 0.48 percent, which is extremely high for a person of any age, Polish Radio said Friday.

Laws in most ountries tolerate motorists having a 0.05 percent alcohol level.

Police files indicated the Polish man was renowned for his abuse of alcohol. The latest incident may send him to jail for 12 months, the radio said.

http://www.newkerala.com/news5.php?action=fullnews&id=31031

What do members think about higher taxation on alcohol in Poland?

Re: Polish bicyclist crashes into police car

"What do members think about higher taxation on alcohol in Poland"

A regressive tax. Alcohol has inelastic demand so you can tax what you want but poor people will end up taking the hit. Do they have alcohol rehab programmes in Poland? I read somewhere that the Finns have the biggest alcohol abuse problems in Europe.

The UK does the same with Cigarettes. Today a UK smoking ban in enclosed spaces goes into force. Unfortunately this meant that the minute we sat down to have a cappucino in a cafe outside someone started puffing away at the next table... Smoking doesn't seem to be as popular in Poland as it once was. I went to Prague three years ago and everyone was smoking. You could hardly breathe in cafes and restaurants. I haven't felt bothered about this in Poland. Is this because in Poland they don't allow smoking in restaurants? I can't remember seeing anyone smoking. I do know that it was banned in the central train station in Krakow years back.

This old man story made me laugh because my Polish friend's 95 year old (irish) aunt was taken to hospital with a broken leg on Friday. She has apparently been complaining vociferously to the doctors about the lack of brandy... If someone gets to that age and can still enjoy a drink I say good luck to them!

The old guy is obviously an extreme case, but it raises an interesting point about Polish law which I can't understand - not only is riding a bicycle 'under the influence' illegal, but as far as I can ascertain carries as heavy a punishment as drink driving! (including jail).

>>Is this because in Poland they don't allow smoking in restaurants? I can't remember seeing anyone smoking. I do know that it was banned in the central train station in Krakow years back.

You can smoke in the vast majority of Polish restaurants.

I wouldn't agree with Ania's smoking comments. Smokers are everywhere in Poland.

"not only is riding a bicycle 'under the influence' illegal, "

It's illegal in most countries. I know someone who was arrested for this in the UK. How seriously it is taken varies.

I imagine he must have been seriously wasted. Was he released without charge?

I think the guy I knew may have spent a night in the cells having been charged with being drunk in charge of a bicycle. He used to regularly ride his bike home from the pub or parties when out of his head. This was years ago and he was not a Polish guy.