Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The problem of mosquitos

As any regular visitor to Poland will know much of the country suffers from the presence of mosquitos. Two nights back I was bitten twice on teh arms. Last night I was bitten around seven times on the legs. In the dead of the night, I'd hear the thing buzzing around my head, get up, and then couldn't locate it to squash it.

The bites now itch like hell!

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this problem?

Has anyone tried any anti-mosquito products or have any tried and tested anti-flying-insect control methods ?

Re: The problem of mosquitos

deal with them like you would anywhere - screens on the windows and keep the doors closed. we used to use nets on the beds but they're a bit of a tangle.

the *best* product i've used for afterwards has ammonia in it ... got it in Canada though (called Afterbite) and no idea if you can get it this far east.

Yes, I was thinking of some screens. Our place doesn't have them and it really is difficult to keep windows closed now. The last couple of nights have been incredibly hot and sticky.

I suppose it's just a country forest laeland thing. Something one has to live with.

Most annoying is that my wife is never bitten .

ikea do (did) nets - but you'll need a couple to cover a bed of any size.

and then ... watch out for horseflies ... oh, and ticks too

I've been warned about the increased presence of ticks already by my mother in law. She told me that my grass is too long and because of this I am sure to be bitten by ticks. My plan is to buy goats to keep the grass down .

See goat thread for futher information .

Same problem. I think not helped by the number of lakes and ponds in these parts. Look for Raid products at Tesco.

Yeah they are a real pain this year - I think especially becuase of the mild winter. Apparently there are also higher than average numbers of kleszcz, which can be quite dangerous.

Thankfully I've not had any experience with the ticks, but like you Hans I seem to react quite badly to mosquito bites.

Sprays with DEET in them are best for repelling. You can also try citronella candle - but these don't seem to work too well. I friend of mine swears they don't like cigarette smoke!

I remember seing something you could plug in to an electrical socket a few years ago - it apparently produced some ultrasonic noise that mosquitos avoid. I've never tried one though, so they may be as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Are kleszcz the same as the ticks in England or a different beast altogether?

"Are kleszcz the same as the ticks in England or a different beast altogether? "

Yes they are the same things as ticks in England.

In the UK a small percentage of ticks carry Lyme disease. (I know someone who caught this from a tick bite in the UK and was very ill).

In European Forested areas a larger proportion carry Lyme disease (this was 40% a couple of years ago) About 1% also carry Tick Borne encephalitis (a form of meningitis) which can be fatal if not treated.

Ticks are most likely to fall on you from trees in densely forested areas or near water. They crawl into your clothing and go for a damp spot like armpits or groin. You can get a jab to protect against Tick borne encephalitis but not for Lyme disease. In Austria this used to be given as an innoculation to the entire population. There was an encephalitis epidemic in Mazury in 2002 but seems to have died down now. Best to cover up if you're going into this type of terrain and worried.

I've heard from a woodsman type that kleszcz are most present on land with lots of silver birch trees (for some reason).

I guess we should be thankful that we don't live in Ohio or Texas ...

A friend recently sent me some photos of a spider bite!

Day 1 of spider bite

day 1 of spider bite

Day 4 of spider bite

day 4 of spider bite

Day 6 of spider bite

day 6 of spider bite

Day 9 of spider bite

day 9 of spider bite

The spider in question normally lives in sheds, attics and cellars. Wherever it's dark.

The initial bite usually cannot be felt and there may be no pain. Bites usually become itchy within 2 to 8 hours, pain and other local effects worsen 12 to 36 hours after the bite. Necrosis develops over the next few days. Over time the wound may grow to as large as 25 cm in extreme cases.

Day 4 (again!)

Day 4

er, i didn't want to see that. not the blackened flesh one, anyway.

off to throw up in the corner.

what's the spider called?

God, that's horrible. I'mm off to vacuum away all the cobwebs at home. They don't live in Poland do they?

Kleszcz are nasty though. My doggie (Cezarek) was bitten by a kleszcz when he was a puppy (in the dog pound) and had to go to the vets every day for a saline drip. His stomach still isn't quite right.

Brown Recluse Spider

Just the USA, as far as I know.

Ten or more mosquito bites on my legs now .

Mosquitos / mosquitoes (which I wonder is correct?) are one creature I'd like to wipe out completely.

Apparently these spiders lay 50 eggs at a time. Such a shame if a few breeding pairs escaped in the area around the Presidential Palace in Warsaw.

I can't see why these spiders wouldn't survive and flourish in Poland. The climate and environment is probably very similar.

The winters are probably too harsh.

They'd have to be released in summer .

Snakes?

We have a colony of swimming snakes in our ponds! Probably feeding on our frogs? Any idea what species they may be.

Probably a grass snake. They often feed on tadpoles and frogs.

Here are some photos of the main European snakes.

I had the pleasure of trying to put a WWF guide right by telling him that there are biting spiders in Poland - this can be confirmed by generations of peasants weeding strawberry fields. The swelling is unpleasant but not dangerous.

For that matter a biting spider lives in England too, but few people there now work that way - I saw it on a David Attenborough programme so it must be right!! (Mind you, he believes in global warming so he must be slightly cracked.)

>>Mind you, he believes in global warming so he must be slightly cracked.

Oh no, you're not one of barmy Bellamy's brigade are you?