Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The going price for goats in Poland?

My plan is to buy goats to keep my grass at a manageable height. The lazy man's lawnmower.

Last week I noticed a sign along the road advertising koza (goats) for sale. My question is what might be the going rate in Poland for these animals?

Do they need any sort of house?

Possible pitfalls?

Any goat people out there?

Re: The going price for goats in Poland?

I should add that when buying anything in Poland I like to have some idea of cost before going along to meet the seller. My usual source of information about prices in Poland is against the idea of goats, so I intend to surprise her with the purchase.

Being a foreigner often equals paying much more in Poland .

My usual source of information about prices in Poland (my wife!) ......

i've no idea about the zloty rate for a goat, but don't forget to factor in the cost of your dead trees ...

True. I'll have to keep them away from the boundary fence.

BTW - half of the christmas tree type conifers we planted appear to be dead already .

did you water them every day ? and talk to them ? if you want a healthy root system you need to go and actually touch the plant gently every couple of days. tell it you care.

i'm not sure a goat is the best idea, though - ever thought of a sheep or two?

No, I didn't talk to them. No, I dodn't water them. The problem is that they are a long way from the nearest water source and I'm lazy . And my wife says she can't do it as she can't lift anything now!

Sheep, yes, I like the idea. I suppose sheep or goats would do equally well. I've never seen any sheep in Poland though.

hans ... WATER THE DRATTED THINGS.
they are resilient, happy to live in poor soil, content to battle through cold weather, forgiving of nasty winds, and all the etcs. but they need WATER.
/words fail me/

Goats, Sheep, Cows, Bees, Pigs, Wild Boar, Snails!!!

Livestock for sale

I'm also toying with the idea of a grass-munching mammal for the same reasons .

Or if you have a very flat lawn you could buy one of those automated robot lawnmowers. Unfortunately, our lawn is way too bumpy to use one.

A link:

Robot Mower!

pay a local lad to come in and push your mower around.

http://allegro.pl/item211871680_koza_2_3_miesieczna.html

there we are. 120Pln what a bargain

How about an Alpaca or two. Cute looking creatures.

Hans-

One does not use goats for lawn maintenance. Goats are used for lot clearing as they will eat not only grass leaves but the roots as well. Traditionally the method of clearing land that has lain fallow is to graze 10 goats per acre for one year to clear the land of brush; 5 sheep per acre for two years to establish a grass (grass, clover, rye) monoculture; and then one cow per acre to either maintain the land or to prepare it for planting.

Goats have a bite that can pull plants from the ground and they will dig for roots to eat. The bite on a sheep can remove invasive new brush and saplings but will not remove shrubs as will a goat. To maintain an already established grass monoculture (lawn) often a single sheep per acre will suffice. If you are generating a high volume of vegetative scraps then a goat is of use in processing the refuse.

Considering the sandy soils in your region you would not need as many beasts per acre. (approximately 2.5 acres = hectare)

Merino sheep are an exception in that they will overgraze any parcel they are on. (Spain used to be a fertile grassland)

Also, sheep will not climb on lawn furniture, a goat will climb on your back if you are tying a shoelace.

Sheep it is then .

Thank you for the invaluable information .

Updates will follow.

buy a girl sheep

2 girls and a boy. Start a flock .

I'll certainly get two and at least one ram.

Sheep are a lot more expensive than goats and not to be found in the west of Poland. All for sale seem either to be in the mountains in the south and in the far north-east.

The search goes on .

Alpacas, no.

Do keep us posted. Hans the sheep herder

A friend of mine located sheep (3) by contacting the local large animal veterinarian.

Twice a year they a sheared with the shearer getting half the wool as compensation; doubtless alternative arrangements can be made.

Hans,
what were you planning on doing with these creatures during the winter?

I hadn't given that much thought. Leave them where they are, I guess. I know that in the Netherlands they tend to bring them in to barns. But if one visits England or Wales the sheep are out all year round.

i'm wondering how you will feel carting feed to them during the winter months. no ... wait ... by the sounds of it they'll have frozen solid in the first snowstorm.