Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tesco Faces Sunday Trading Protests

See also the thread about closure of all shops on twelve day every year.

At the end of the day, businesses would not do anything to alienate their customers. If majority of people in Poland did shop on Sundays, the stores would be closed.

Free market is an alien concept to PiS and LPR hypocritical assholes.

I agree!!! No work on Sunday!! Shut the churches!!!!

It's interesting that during communist times I don't recall shops being open on Sundays. Was that because sunday was a worker holiday? Considering communism was so anti religion I'm surprised sunday was a day of rest.

Does nobody think that taking away the centuries old workers rights to have a day off on sunday in the name of consumerism is exploitation then?

saturday was the official day of rest in commie Poland and small private stores were open on Sundays.

Interestingly enough, there always were church-run little shops on Sundays in big cities.

"Does nobody think that taking away the centuries old workers rights to have a day off on sunday in the name of consumerism is exploitation then?"

Good one Ania. Lenin would be proud.

How about letting people decide when they want to shop??

touche Mike!

I knew you would like my question....

You're right about the flower stalls and candle shops on sundays these days. But I don't recall any of that in 1980. Maybe in czestochowa...

'Shopping is the new religion of the affluent or comfortably off in Poland'. Discuss ?

Polish commies were scared to go after churches after we got the Polish Pope. If you recall, even during martial law - the most f**ed up times when any notion of civil law was disregarded, the priests were exempt from personal search and seizue.

Polish Church was a great institution during communism, but unfortunately not now.

Case and point - a buddy of mine is currently battling local priest because he own a couple of restaurants that are open on Sunday. The priest has repeatedly denounced his business practices during Sunday sermon, but what he failed to tell his flock is that he owns a competing restaurant nearby

There are similar scenarios all over Poland where priests take advantage of Polish Catholicism to make money. In the words of GW, 'that ain't right'

“during communist times I don't recall shops being open on Sundays. Was that because sunday was a worker holiday?”

One less day to look at empty shelves.

Vinegar in abundance!