Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Metal detecting Poland

A question has been sent in from JJ in the netherlands. Can anyone help with an answer or opinion?

"Is it legal to metal detect in Poland"? Do people in Poland do it? I'd like to come to Poland and look for old buried objects, but am unsure of the law""

Re: Metal detecting Poland

What do you plan to do with the old, un-buried objects?

My girl says that the law has just been changed on metal detecting in Poland and large fines are now possible - even a prison sentence .

Poland does indeed have new laws in place to protect it's heritage from treasure hunters. Confiscation of equipment, fines, and even imprisonment.

However, it seems that the situation in neighbouring Ukraine is totally different!

Treasure hunt and visit to Ukraine

A more direct link to the story:

Ukrainian Treasure Hunt

Well, as a visitor, I wouldn't do it in Poland. Only hassle could result. My advice: look at history, but don't touch.

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.htm

A discussion about laws in Polish:

http://www.ioh.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=998

Can anyone translate?

It is illigal in Poland but is very popular, mostly II World war bits and bobs (mind the unexploded stuff).
looking for treasure is illigal most Poles search for Astroids which is legal

"looking for treasure is illigal most Poles search for Astroids which is legal"

So if you were caught with your metal detector and said you were looking for asteroids, you'd get away with it?

Thats right Unless you had a bag of second WW guns which is what many are looking for in Poland. Many of the second hand markets have a couple of found treasure for sale, rusty gun parts and shells.

meteorites not asteroids, I guess

meteorite hunting looks more interesting than looking for rusty guns and ammunition.

http://www.meteoriteadventures.com/

Meteorite : a natural object of extraterrestrial origin (meteoroid) that survives passage through the atmosphere and hits the ground.

Asteroid: an object orbiting the Sun that is smaller than a major planet (tens of meters to about 1,000 km diameter), but shows no evidence of an atmosphere or other types of activity associated with comets.

metal detecting? Meteorite hunting? crikey I am really missing out in life!

we found our bomb-ette without benefit of a metal detector. a few feet into the pile of delivered field soil and there it was...
the horse thigh-bone came later (the half-rotted reins were in another load ... omg ... they buried the horse where it fell?)

... all I got was 2 kopecks dating from 1861

You have a detector?

I have a lie detector = wife!!

No - I found it with my bare hands.
English sweat, Hans.

". omg ... they buried the horse where it fell?) "

Maybe it fell in the snow?