Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PILOT I JA / THE PILOT AND ME

anyone come across this little gem? i found it down the back of the bookcase last night and had a quick peek inside once again - horrifying stuff. (it's a dual-language book for younger children - imo the English is of an appallingly low standard yet it came to us as an english teacher's end of term 'gift' to her pupils )

Re: PILOT I JA / THE PILOT AND ME

The Pilot and me

I haven't seen this one, but, I bought a similar dual language 'Little Red Riding Hood' last week. That was very good.

However, a lot of Polish translation is truely dreadful. Check out this garbage, supposedly done by an official sworn translator:

Polish English

truly dire

The website was funny!

Never one to betray a confidence (well, almost never), I was approached for English lessons by a Polish translator of English bodice-ripping bestsellers.

Says it all, really.

omgosh ... i've just realised it. that's what i'm missing - haven't read a good bodice-ripper in ages. last weekend was Ludlum and goodness but he's careless with his bodies.
part of me yearns for English as only Barbara could do it. With lots of. Short. Sentences and very ... little ... in the way ... of. Continuity. But a lot. Of excitement and.
/click went the bedroom door in my face/

If you're a foreigner and decide to get married in Poland you need the services of a sworn translator. Our sworn translator asked my wife to translate the whole service for her in advance, and on the day, couldn't pronounce half the words correctly. She still asked 200 złoties for 15 minutes in the registry office.

The vast majority of sworn Polish translators suck .

That town website is dire. Wonder how much they paid, and whether a local Native Speaker teacher mightn't have corrected it free, out of goodwill. Maybe it was translated by the same person who translated the notice in Poznań Bus Station: "The paid toilets find themselves under the cash."