Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poles and Lithuanians defeat the Teutonic Knights

http://www.polskieradio.pl/zagranica/gb/dokument.aspx?iid=55468

Some 80 thousand spectators have witnessed a re-enactment of the famous
Battle of Grunwald held in that northern Polish locality. Over a
thousand volunteers and fans of medieval knighthood from all over
Poland and several European countries gathered to relive the historic
battle of 1410 which gave victory to joint Polish and Lithuanian armies
under king Ladislaus Jagiello over the overwhelming forces of the
Teutonic Order led by the Grand Master Ulrich von Jungingen. The bloody
encounter at Grunwald marked the decline of centuries long domination
of the Teutonic Knights over northern Polish territories

Re: Poles and Lithuanians defeat the Teutonic Knights

Damn, I was backing the Krauts this year ...

Although, curiously, the Teutonic knights were about as “German” as the Foreign Legion is “French”; a high percentage were second and third born nobility from all of Western Europe which had no prospects of land ownership. This, in combination with the monastic administration is one of the reasons for the lack of “German” genetic markers in Poland.

... and there was me thinking, sacrilegiously, that Polish women have never found German men attractive!
"Si, si, je bin aleman!"

"Some 80 thousand spectators have witnessed a re-enactment of the famous
Battle of Grunwald held in that northern Polish locality. Over a
thousand volunteers and fans of medieval knighthood from all over
Poland and several European countries gathered to relive the historic
battle of 1410 which gave victory to joint Polish and Lithuanian armies
under king Ladislaus Jagiello over the overwhelming forces of the
Teutonic Order led by the Grand Master Ulrich von Jungingen. The bloody
encounter at Grunwald marked the decline of centuries long domination
of the Teutonic Knights over northern Polish territories "

What a lot of nonsense this charade is

"Silly charade"

Alternatively, Hans, have you thought about going to a re-enactment of Stalingrad ...?

/some things are best passed over without comment/

/some things are best passed over without comment/

Maybe. But how utterly ridiculous is it to glorify a nothing event of 600 years ago ...

"Maybe. But how utterly ridiculous is it to glorify a nothing event of 600 years ago ... "

I agree that these people have no life, but it was only the largest European battle in medieval history. Far from a 'nothing event'.

Cmon Hans, the gerrys got crushed. You know Poles will celebrate this one for ever.

They re-create Civil War battles in the US all the time. I think thats were Poles got this from.

"I agree that these people have no life"

I think it's not that bad. "Knighthood" is just a hobby like any other. I can't see much difference between people spending a fortune on used pieces of paper (called postal stamps) and people spending a fortune (or less) on shiny swords and armours.

And what a kick it must be: to maul some krauts and get away with it

"They re-create Civil War battles in the US all the time. I think thats were Poles got this from. "

I doubt that.

They do renactments for historical battles in the UK too. It's a hobby for men who like to play grown up soldiers without the risk of actual injury. They get to dress up and make lots of noise for a day. I'm sure they do this in other european countries. e.g. look at the website below :

http://www.88thfoot.co.uk/

Not to mention the Sealed Knot, who captured my imagination by doing a few re-enactments of the Civil War battle in my village in Yorkshire.

http://www.sealedknot.org/

"And what a kick it must be: to maul some krauts and get away with it"

... or Royalists for that matter!

It's a hobby for men who like to play grown up soldiers without the risk of actual injury.

Not just men, but women too! When I was in the Sealed Knot, we had women in the pike block, the artillery and the musket regiment. At night, though, they used to tart-up wench style and hit the beer tent- marvellous

You were in the Sealed Knot? I'm impressed.

Wenches ...

That reminds me of : http://www.lotuselan.net/publish/p2_flush_door_overhaul.shtml

Look at the third bullet point. A must for every car fanatic!
A self-grip wench ...