Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UK: THE POLISH FOOD WARS

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/13963/The-Polish-food-wars

TESCO announced plans yesterday to double its range of Polish food to
cater for the influx of Eastern Europeans.

Britain's biggest supermarket chain has been overwhelmed by demand
since launching the range in 10 stores last September.

It was extended to a further 240 stores in April and will soon be
available in 370 branches.

Bosses are also doubling the size of the range from 75 to 150
products. It means Tesco will sell Polish food in more British stores
than it does in the stores it has in Poland.

Rival Sainsbury's is also selling traditional Polish products, such
as stuffed cabbage, as the battle for the Polish pound hots up.

With an estimated 1.1 million Poles living and working in Britain it
is a very lucrative market to capture.

Poles say they are homesick for all kinds of foods such as pulpety
(meatballs), borscht (beetroot soup) and delicje (biscuits with
chocolate and jam).

Included in the Tesco range is typical Polish fare such as sauerkraut
soup, pea soup with pork and sausage, white sour soup and meat balls
with tomato sauce. Other popular Polish foods are goulash, mustards,
pickled vegetables and beer brands such as Tyskie.

The move reflects the big changes to the UK's workforce since a
number of former Eastern bloc states joined the EU.

Borders bookshop chain put more than 100 different titles in Polish
on sale at a handful of its stores earlier this month.

Tesco ethnic food buyer manager Elena Connell said they wanted to
give Poles living in Britain a true taste of home.

Re: UK: THE POLISH FOOD WARS

Of course what they are in fact trying to do is to undercut all the little Polish food shops that have opened up in the last couple of years. Typical aggressive niche marketing to leave no authentic retail outlets in peace.

Why would the Poles miss Delicje cakes in the UK? Aren't they exactly the same as Jaffa cakes which you can buy in any supermarket?

Top editing there by the express, this sentence is complete gobbledygook:

>>It means Tesco will sell Polish food in more British stores than it does in the stores it has in Poland.

I wish Tesco would sell the occasional bit of English food in Poland.

/now someone will write back that they do/

"Why would the Poles miss Delicje cakes in the UK? Aren't they exactly the same as Jaffa cakes which you can buy in any supermarket? "

the same reason we pay twice as much for certain foods/products - the huge marketing scam of "brand loyalty".

I'm not a fan of Polish food. Unhealthy. Fatty. Lacking in taste. Unoriginal. Even the relatively unique recipe for Bigos can be improved on dramatically.

"Even the relatively unique recipe for Bigos can be improved on dramatically. "

It really depends on who cooks the bigos. The pre packaged stuff is really foul.

People like to go with what they are used to where food is concerned. I remember an australian girl I once worked with raving about veggiemite on crackers. She made us all try some. It was foul stuff just like concentrated marmite, but to her it was delicious because it reminded her of home.

I imagine almost all the foods mentioned are already available BUT labeled in English in British supermarkets.

Nope Hans. They have been available in Tescos near me labelled in Polish for quite a while. We always had Krakus brands labelled in English and I think they still are (they have been in supermarkets since the 80s).

You sometimes get some English brands labelled entirely in Polish these days. I found some "Kiri" cheese (a delicious memory of my childhood)entirely labelled in Polish. Most of the stuff in tesco has several translations including Polish these days, esp the electrical items.

I think they mean to expand outside London where there is not that much ethnic food in tesco stores. They tend to market to local tastes.

What he means is that most of the things are hardly uniquely Polish.

Pulpety = meatballs
Delicje = Jaffa cakes
Mustard = mustard
Chrzan = horseradish sauce
Goulash = goulash!
Piwo = beer
Pickled vegetables = pickled vegetables
pea soup = pea soup

All have been available in the UK for many years and their presence has nothing whatsoever to do with Poland.

The problem is that Poles aren't known for being open to new experiences. Food just being one example.

We have 3 local Polish shops.
Braintree, Safron Walden, Harlow.

1st shop Safron Walden, owned by an Indian guy, Has 1 large shelf of Polish bits and bobs. Staff very helpful;

Braintree recently opened, 'Polish Pantry' Only sells Polish food. Lots of shelves full of the same stuff. Bread is £1.50 a loaf!!! Very Expensive. Staff are rude! Owned by an English builder who opened the shop as his Polish staff said it was Needed. (Chance of survival zero)

Harlow shop, Stocks only Polish food. Same size as shop above but sells everthing from Polish headache pills to Kubus Play drinks. Shop was full of Poles. Staff still rude.

Come on Tesco lets have the same stuff, Cheaper and polite staff.

Every Polish shop I have been in has had Rude staff, Just like Poland, what they forget is that they are in the UK we expect customer service.

Tesco, Sainsburies will take over if they can't sort it out. People only go to small shops for good service.

I remember an excellent Polish deli in Bradford - superb German sausages!

Yes but Dajwid they might miss the rude staff and go there to get the authentic Polish shopping experience....

Tesco will be employing an old Polish lady in a nylon apron to say 'Nie Ma'and ' nie wiem' when people as for things.
They will also be putting the price sticker over the sell by dates and telling people that sell by is English for date made.
Eggs will also be sold in 10s not 12.

>>Tesco will be employing an old Polish lady in a nylon apron to say 'Nie Ma'and ' nie wiem' when people as for things.

..and she will insist on correct change

What exactly is it with this change thing?

I mean, can't I buy something for 50zl and pay 100zl without always being asked for smaller notes?

Then they never have the odd grosze to give you, they make a fortune with all the odd money.

The change thing is a pet hate of mine - It seems that many Polish shops don't carry floats. I don't understand this - it's just plain laziness. You would think that there has been enough time since communism for shops to start running like propper businesses.

And so in came Tescos

Some shops always ask for the correct change even though the cash till is groaning under the weight of coins & they have to empty it 3 times daily!

Wonder why?

Infamy, infamy they've all got it in for me!
Kenneth Williams.

"
I remember an excellent Polish deli in Bradford - superb German sausages"

I think you mean "Renata's" by the market. Closed now, I think.

Thinking about Food Miles, I wonder how much of that stuff could be produced in the UK, & what difference it would make (if any) to the flavour or price?

Brits have been trained to eat rubbish, why make the effort to de-train their mangled taste buds?