Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Funerals

You never feel so bloody far from home as when someone in your English family dies.

The sense of loss seems magnified by the unreality of hearing about it when you're in a foreign country. And yes, it's always unreal anyway, especially when it's a sunny day.

It's not as if my uncle's death was unexpected, nor was it tragic as he did live a long, fairly happy life and was in very good health until the last couple of years.

But it does bring back the terrible memories of not being able to be there when my father died, though my brothers who didn't emigrate were. Thankfully.

This funeral is being delayed for what must be a family record - August 15th - as about half his close family emigrated. I think I'll make the effort and turn up, though I feel a fraud asking for compassionate leave when I know damn well that I'll make a holiday out of it.

This is the true price to pay for emigrating.

Re: Funerals

A Catholic family?

No, Church of England.
Although my eldest brother's family is RC.

And your children?

Sorry, yes, I realize that I'm nosey! But since my wife (a Polish catholic) will shortly give birth, I am interested in this subject.

Oh sorry , I misunderstood you.

My uncle's family is CofE, but I'm Catholic as are our children.