Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does anybody have a holiday home?

I must admit I have been tempted in the past by the prospect of having a place in another country.

Somehow I never got round to taking the plunge, but I don't particularly reget it - it seems a lot of hassle having to get someone else to look after your property for the most part of the year just so your holidays are cheaper - and confined to the same place.

Has anybody got a holiday home, and was it worth the hassle?

Re: Does anybody have a holiday home?

My girlfriend is Polish. She now lives in NI with me. We plan to buy an old, cheap, village house for holidays. It will have to be in need of some renovation and close to Poznan. She has family there who can keep an eye on it. Been looking for a long time. Going back again in September.

Ah - it's ideal to have family who can keep an eye on your property. It might be a better idea to buy some land and build on it instead of renovating.

Planning permission is pretty easy to get and a one storey building can be put up and finished off quickly, without all the waiting time otherwise required (for poured-in concrete ceilings etc).

We like canoeing and boats, so a couple years back, we bought a 66 sq m holiday apartment in a small town with three lakes. It's only 30 minutes drive from the city, and because of this manage to get a lot of use out of the place. In fact, we now use our country place much more than our city apartment.

We also purchased the basement of the same building to convert to a holiday let. But haven't got around to it, yet. It's now very difficult to find reasonably priced labour. They all want to be paid UK or German rates!

I probably wouldn't buy a place in another country, unless it was as an investment, as we just wouldn't get to use it enough - and would generally be too much hassle.

I have a place in another country .

And soon in three different countries.

I have a holiday home. In Poland, where else?

And soon in three different countries.

Sorry Hans in days of old it used to be a show off thing (a status thing) ie I have a house overseas etc.
Most smart investors invest in there own country, interest in shares, managed investments and real estate.
You have no control over a house if for say it is in Poland, the chance of it being demolished by local low lifes is very high. Most people prefer to rent a house in Poland and have the variety of going to different places when on holidays. Unless you have a house on Warsaw or Krakow rent returns are very low, there may be a capital gain but it seems the price of homes have now peaked.

the price of homes have now peaked.

My house in Poland is looked after, 'managed' to avoid vandalism. The outlay is very small.

Don't a lot of polish citizens have dzialkas my family over in Poland has. They told me they were given to them for free by the communists. They are on a lake about ten minutes from their homes driving distance and are what we call cottages here in the states.

Most Poles do have (or their family has) some sort of land with a shed on it. These are mostly very small and primitive. Hardly what you would call a cottage. More of a shack. Richer Poles have bought larger pieces of land and have built cabins or houses on them. Most Poles do not have these. In Poland there is a huge gap between the rich business or criminal types and the majority of the population.

I cannot remember the name of the lake, I do remember it is not far from the basilica in Lichen and they are not shacks my mothers cousins have pavers cobblestone down the walkway to the lake, a dock for a boat, fireplaces in the living rooms very beautiful gardens though small. I was thinking we should be so lucky in america.

Maybe your family were communist party people. Normal people weren't given places like this. Normally it's small garden with wooden shed. No toilet or water.

Marek my father would roll over in his grave that is why he never returned to Poland after the war because of the commies

Don't a lot of polish citizens have dzialkas my family over in Poland has. They told me they were given to them for free by the communists.

Most of these pieces of land are nothing more than an allotment garden with a crudely constructed building of sorts. A tiny fraction of the population would have the sort of place you describe, Bill. These would cost 'big bucks'.

I'll try and take some photos of typical lots tomorrow.

Don't a lot of polish citizens have dzialkas my family over in Poland has. They told me they were given to them for free by the communists. They are on a lake about ten minutes from their homes driving distance and are what we call cottages here in the states.

Thats a good point you make and I would like to hear any comments on this matter, from my information dzialkas were given to communist party members, most of these people lived in chicken type flats (like most of Polish citizens) they would claim to be big shots because they have a dzialka. Things are different now. I think in time most of these dzialki's will be removed and replaced with housing.

Bill-

There are several lakes in the region but the two of significance are Jezioro Licheńskie and the Jezioro Ślesińskiego.

These two are significant in that the regional electrical power plant takes its cooling water from Ślesińskiego and discharges it into Licheńskie which is connected back to Ślesińskiego by a canal. The water in these lakes is extraordinarily warm. When I visited there in the mid 1970’s there was also an aluminium foundry which used the lakes for cooling. Swimming in the lake was an amazing experience. The locals warned everyone of the importance of monitoring yourself as it was not uncommon for strong swimmers to be stricken with hyperthermia from aggressive swimming. As I was happy to do the casual swim and float I would spend long periods languishing in what can best be described as the largest bath tub.

Of course the water temperature caused other dilemmas. The temperature killed all the local fish, which in turn meant that nothing ate the algae which in turn clogged the intakes at the power plant. In the end they had to bring in fish from the Aral Sea to consume the rampant plants.

Back then one could not imagine the basilica that has been built since. At that time there was still a caretaker at the church of Our Lady of Czestochowa who related stories of when she was a servant at the Hitler Jugend camp that the Nazi’s established there during the war. The program for the young campers consisted of party indoctrination and training to be cold-blooded killers: the Jugend raised rabbits as pets and were awarded ribbons for prize animals. They were then forced to skin the animals alive. The alacrity with which they took to torturing the animals was noted in their records for future determination as to which military units to assign them.

The headmistress of the camp, Berta Bauer, marched the campers into the chapel one day in 1944 and announced that there was no God. To illustrate her point she took several shots at the crucifix and challenged God to strike her down. A couple of hours later, on the road to Konin, she was killed by a round fired from a damaged German plane returning from the Eastern Front as it emptied its magazines over open country before landing.

When I was last in Lichen they had only just started to assemble the Golgotha mound, I had no idea what they were planning although I did help move a barrow with rocks. Who knew?

The allotments near to where I live are generally far from basic, because it is treated as a holiday camp by the plebs from Pruszkow. In fact, summertime a whole load of them de-camp from their flats and live there permanently.

the confusion is there are 3 types of dzialka

Dzialka ogrodnicza
This is the same as an allotment in the UK, people build little shacks on them ans often in Poland little brick houses. These were given away free by the commies and can be bought for 1000-2000zloties, they are ver often not actually owned as such, and can be taken away at any time.
The buildings are in most cases illegal and you should not sleep over night of live there. It should be a storage shed.

Dzialka rekreacyjna
These are the holiday homes. You can build with planning permission 'see other thread about bribes'
. These cost a lot more, are very often near a lake. These can be bought by non Poles. You cannot be registered as living at the address (it normally only has a plot number anyway) You can sleep there but not all year round.
Many Poles do

dzialka budowlana
Building land. The real thing. this is as it says for building a house.

Oh forgot there are also dzilka (agricultural) I forget the name.
This is for growing food or grass and laying on You must not build on this land, many Poles do. This is the cheapest land.

Bloody hell, Dajwid, I was just about to explain all that .

I took some photos of two different types earlier, and will post them once I have a cup of tea.

"Dzialka ogrodnicza
This is the same as an allotment in the UK, people build little shacks on them ans often in Poland little brick houses. These were given away free by the commies and can be bought for 1000-2000zloties, they are ver often not actually owned as such, and can be taken away at any time.
The buildings are in most cases illegal and you should not sleep over night of live there. It should be a storage shed."

Maybe there are different rules in different regions but these "dzialki" seem to pass hands for cash. Many people also have summer houses on them. My understanding is that you are allowed to build a summer house as long as you don't live there all year round. Some of the houses I have seen are very nice (not shacks at all). If anyone was plannign to take these away I think they would have a civil war on their hands.....

Three examples ...

Dzialka ogrodnicza

ogrodnicza

Dzialka rekreacyjna

rekreacyjna

Dzialka budowlana (prime agricultural land until this fence and monstrosity appeared six months ago)

budowlana

Spot the differences

3rd one is great, I love the colour

Our summer house sleeps 12 has 3 very large bedrooms, Bathroom, shower room, double garage and overlooks 3 lakes
And it is only Dzialka rekreacyjna.

Next door was sold 3 years ago for 140,000PLN and is half the size.
We paid less than 10% of that a few years back.

Have some 'Dzialki budowlana' too. Prices are climbing nicely.

Teraz Polska!!

Sorry, am I too late for the pissing competition?

My girlfriend tells me that we are looking at an old house in a village on our next visit. Price 70 000 zloties. Sounds cheap.

Next door was sold 3 years ago for 140,000PLN and is half the size.
We paid less than 10% of that a few years back.

Its hard to imagine that you paid less than 14,000zl and made that sort of money in a couple of years?

I think most of the boom has peaked, remember Poland is a new starter in the real estate market and property prices were trying to establish themselves.
A property is only worth what a person is prepared to pay for it, and like all things there will be a ups and a downs. I don't think prices will increase on the mere fact that average income for most poles is no more than 2500zl a month.
Somebody might want to explain to me how a person on a income of 2500zl a month is able to buy a house/apartment say for 500,000zl, unless he intends living for 200 years!

A few and a couple. I bought 7 years ago for 12,000
At that time people needed cash :-) right place right time. I was offered many cheaper places when I first moved to Poland.
There are still plenty of cheap places to buy. Just go to the right places:-)
looking at another at the moment under 20,000

remember never believe how much a pole tells you they earn. They will also have the money from other houses they rent, a pole never has money and then will suddenly buy a new Merc, cash.

remember never believe how much a pole tells you they earn. They will also have the money from other houses they rent, a pole never has money and then will suddenly buy a new Merc, cash.

What you say is very true, everyone you speak to has no money but they drive the best cars and have plenty of money for alcohol etc.
I agree also that there a plenty of cheap properties to buy in Poland (you have to know where to look) just avoid the foreign real estate companies!

The houses on dzialki ogrodnicze I have seen are far more luxurious than the shed above. The are more like the budowlane one above. People either don't have a house on the land at all or they have a really cute chalet type thing. I've not seen any sheds in our neck of the woods. The air was really really fresh too, plus all the flowers made it a lovely place. I can see the attraction of spending the summer there.

"It might be a better idea to buy some land and build on it instead of renovating"

With the cost of materials like cement and labor in Poland now I don't agree.

Ania I agree we do have some very nice ones near Sopot an Gdansk, many of the domki are really nice.