Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Visa Requirement

I see that a Congressional subcommittee has recommeded that Poland (and all other former Communist countries in central Europe) not be allowed into the Visa Waiver program. I predicted this would happen.

The main reason given is security concerns, but I think the real reason is immigration. If several million left for the U.K., how many do you think would leave for the U.S.?

As it is, 90% of all visa applications are approved (according to the New York Times), so maybe the requirement is not that bad. But 30% of those who do go, overstay their visa (again according to the NYT). So if the requirement is lifted, I think we would see another mass exodus.

I don't think the issue will be discussed in Washington until the next administration takes power.

Re: Visa Requirement

The Americans would be crazy to allow Poles into the visa waiver program.

I’m not confronted with product instructions, automated telephone messages or bank teller machines wasting my time mis-communicating to me in Polish the way that my time is wasted with constant bad Spanish.

The U.S. immigration problem is not 38.5 million people across an ocean with 99.8 % literacy but 109 million people with a purported 90% literacy across a river.

And at the current rate of exchange ...

Last year, in London, my son pointed out that: “the prices in McDonalds are the same as at home”

“No; here the prices are in Pounds, at home the prices are in Dollars.”

I am bracing for the shock when I’m in the UK in a couple of weeks.