Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Polish poachers' get the blame for fishy goings-on

'Polish poachers' get the blame for fishy goings-on

POLES, Slovakians and Lithuanians stand accused of poaching carp from the area's lakes and rivers because it is a national delicacy in their homelands.

Fish stocks are becoming depleted and anglers fear organised gangs could start netting lakes and driving away with bucket loads of fish because of the high price of carp.

Del Shackleford, Reading and District Angling Association (RDAA) fisheries officer and bailiff, said: "It is a problem. It is a culture thing as the Poles have carp for their Christmas dinners and it is a fish held in high esteem in Poland.

"Carp sells for £10 a pound so a 10lb fish is worth £100, which makes it very lucrative. The danger is gangs netting lakes to meet the demand."

The problem has been getting worse, and regular anglers who object say they are being threatened by the poachers.

The RDAA has put up signs - in Polish, Lithuanian and Slovakian - at its lakes warning that fishing is for members-only and all catches must be returned.

Mr Shackleford said: "We have a real problem at Sonning Eye and we are trying to make our members more aware and encourage them to ring the enforcement hotlines.

"We have even found fixed lines in the water which the poachers have disguised and baited with six to 10 hooks."

The association has more than 4,000 members and its bailiff team receives frequent poaching reports from anglers.

He added: "When we get there we are often faced with eastern Europeans who speak perfect English, but pretend they don't under-stand."

Pole Marta Cherrill, who runs the Reading branch of WOSP, Poland's largest charity, said: "Without pointing the finger of blame, most of the carp being taken from the rivers is likely to be taken by the Polish nationals because at home it is a delicacy."

Anglers are now calling for changes in the law so the fish thieves can be dealt with and they want to see the Environment Agency employ more enforcement officers.

Mr Shackleford said: "People are pushing to get the law changed, but at the moment we feel we're fighting a losing battle.

"The law is very loose as to what we can do if we catch them, and it needs to be tightened up.

"These guys are fishing illegally but there are not the laws in place or speed of reaction to do something about it. And the Environment Agency needs to stop denying it is a problem."

Two weeks ago, Mr Shackleford received reports that a group of five eastern European men were taking fish from Midgham Canal and actually barbecuing them on the bank.

Environment Agency spokeswoman Hayley Willoughby said illegal fishing is a national problem and its monitoring across the Thames Region had not detected any reduction in river populations linked to poaching.

She added: "In the past two years, our enforcement officers report that the majority of fishermen appear to be non-national, hold valid rod licences and most have a good understanding of our regional bylaws which allow them to take up to two fish legally, with the permission of the owner.

"We are working closely with clubs and increasing patrols at locations where a serious problem has been indicated.

"This is determined by interrogating the database that records incidents notified to us via the hotline. We also carry out publicised illegal fishing blitzes."

Re: 'Polish poachers' get the blame for fishy goings-on

This is huge problem locally too. Poles are arriving before the bailif comes around for the £6.50 a day ticket price, leaving a look out to see when he is coming. Carp are put straight in the car boot.
I explained to a couple in English that fish cannot be taken away, they sadly didn't speak English (liars) and were shocked when I switched to Polish, the normal story, they have no money and need the fish to eat, they were not happy when I asked about the BMW they were driving. They they got aggressive.

Eastern Europeans are fishing out of season, taking fish, and in many cases not even paying for the right to fish.

When I was in Poland I paid 5x more for my fishing card for 7 years because I was not Polish, I then found out that most Poles don't bother to buy one anyway.

From the Guardian:

MP rapped for Polish poaching claim

A Labour spokesman was criticised after he singled out Poles and Eastern European poachers for stealing carp or freshwater fish to sell or eat.

Reading West MP Martin Salter claimed Poles and Eastern Europeans "have been stealing fish for gain or for the table".

Mr Salter spoke out following a warning that fish stocks in many British lakes were in danger of collapsing.

But Tory MP for Reading East Robert Wilson said in the last couple of years the city's Polish population has increased to about 12,000.

"I think there is a significant number of Polish people, who are struggling to get by and simply hitting out at them is not necessarily the best way to deal with the problem, which has been created by Government policy," he said.

"Poles and Eastern Europeans have made an enormous contribution to the local economy. This is one of the smaller examples of the huge problems of integrating large numbers of immigrants in a very small space of time.

"I am absolutely certain that there are Polish people who are going fishing for carp. However, I do not think they are doing it for profit. A number are doing it because they are too poor to buy food themselves."

The National Association of Fisheries and Angling Consultatives (NAFC) said recent extreme weather had had devastating effects and poaching had also been reported.

Chairman of the Polish Social Club in Reading Zenek Rakowicz said Mr Salter's comments were unfair. "It is probably one or two people," he said. "Most Polish people, who I know fish, they do not take any fish from the water.

"They are not very keen because the water is not very clean. The Polish people that I know work and do not have time to fish."

What a total load of rubbish.
Poles that fish are taking fish, they are not starving, it is the norm in Poland. Poles eat freshwater fish, as for the water is dirty story
Fishing clubs are going mad.

I never said it was an accurate story. As you say complete distortion. But, only to be expected, the Guardian is, after all, known for it's leftie, do-gooder, help the underdog, content.

He added: "When we get there we are often faced with eastern Europeans who speak perfect English, but pretend they don't under-stand."

It's interesting how when it suits the topic here then few Poles are seen as speaking perfect English but when a story needs tweaking they all suddenly speak perfect English!

The original story is obviously from a local newspaper.

Many Poles think nothing of stealing carp from ponds that don't belong to them in Poland, so why would their behaviour change in the UK

Carp doesn't belong in English waters. It was introduced here from Europe a couple of centuries back. The brits don't even like eating carp so why is it being bred in large numbers?

Carp has been in England for as long as it has anywhere in Europe. It originally comes from Asia. Nowadays the fish are bred and kept as a business for anglers to catch and put back. It's called sport. They are not for eating.

Carp doesn't belong in English waters. It was introduced here from Europe a couple of centuries back.

Poles don't belong in...............

Sorry

Fishing for carp is a massive sport, very big money!
A decent size carp costs hundreds of pounds.

http://www.carpuniverse.com/

"A Brief History of the Carp
The carp originated in eastern Europe and Asia around the 2nd century B.C. The Chinese are thought to be the first to use the fish as a food source at around the same time.

By the 17th/18th century AD, the species was being introduced into the UK by European monks. They had realised the value of the fish as a food source, because they grew to large weights in a small amount of time and with a minimum amount of space required per fish....etc. "

Angela - I guess these guys don't know what they are carping on about then...!

"Fishing for carp is a massive sport, very big money!
A decent size carp costs hundreds of pounds. "

So what do they do with the carp once they have caught it for sport? I mean who buys it and do they eat it?

"Carp originated in China and spread throughout Asia and Europe as an aquaculture species."

Ania, carp fisherman in britain and ireland love their fish. Carp can live for 40+ years. They give them names, stroke them, talk to them, and always put them gently back to try and catch another day. Carp are their friends. They would never kill and eat them.

erm taking fish out of water is friendly? Sorry but I keep fish and fishing for sport is cruel.

"They would never kill and eat them. "

What is the relevance of the prices quoted above?

To sell to other people who own carp fishing ponds. Not as meat.

I enjoy carp fishing. Thats it. Cruel? I enjoy it.
I also ride a bike to work.

We will never please everyone.

These people are stealing. That is just not on, sorry. If a person spends half the price of a house stocking a lake with specimen carp and a person with no licence comes along and takes the fish, that is stealing. I wouldn't go into Anias house and eat her fish

Of course it's stealing if it is being taken from a private land. I didn't ever say otherwise. Just didn't realise how passionate brits are about carp and that you try to catch fish and then throw them back and give them names and blow kisses to them and that sort of thing.....

I'm surprised the animal libbers haven't cottoned onto this....I mean they banned fox huntin'