Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reasons to leave the west for the east

"""Over 6 million people have migrated from Britain already and I would bet many for the same reason as I did; to get away from the increasingly violent and rude sub classes dragging a once great country to its knees with their laziness and expectation that the Nanny State should provide everything for them. Of course these morons will blame it all on immigrants. Uncontrolled immigration has played its part and no one can deny that but the real problem is the ethnic morons, spreading their ideology out from their sink estates like the tentacles of an octopus. I was fortunate like millions of others in the UK to have the wherewithal to migrate away from the morons.An initial move to Spain proved good as at that time the majority of ex- pats living in Spain had moved there with sufficient funds and income to be able to live comfortably.

However the ex-pat community in Spain has gradually changed over a number of years as more and more of the morons , having tasted the cheap booze, cheap fags and sunshine on their cheap Benidorm package holidays, decided that doing nothing in Spain on their benefits was preferable to doing nothing in UK. They have arrived in Spain to take up doing nothing in the sun with little more than the bene fits they draw and a set of impossible dreams about making a fortune. Some of the communities in Spain now resemble Britains sink estates, so choose carefully if you decide to move South. Although my urbanization has not suffered as much as most,

I decided that the general quality of life had been deteriorated sufficiently by the influx of morons that it was time to move to a country politeness, respect for law and order and honesty were still valued and practised beliefs; China fitted that requirement nicely. The added bonus was that I had met my beautiful wife there. Few ex-pats live here and with the exception of the odd bad apple those that do are generally good people. The chances of the morons invading this country is very small as most of them struggle to speak English so trying to learn even the simplest words in Mandarin would be beyond.. Furthermore with no Nanny State safety net, they would have to work for a living and take personal responsibility for their lives-unthinkable. """

Re: Reasons to leave the west for the east

There are morons everywhere. I don't see that as a reason to leave your own country. China

It seems some of those morons have hit the shores of Poland, easy lifestyle, booze, and petty crime.

Society needs to re-educate the morons to value and respect themselves and others. That's the only way forward, not running away.

>>It seems some of those morons have hit the shores of Poland, easy lifestyle, booze, and petty crime.

Oh yeah? What have you seen?

ooh it's from the telegraph :

http://my.telegraph.co.uk/phil_slocombe/july_2007/time_to_migrate_the_morons_have_dragged_down_brit.htm

It's a blog from a telegraph reader. Nothing to do with the Telegraph. The guy is an idiot.

>>It seems some of those morons have hit the shores of Poland, easy lifestyle, booze, and petty crime.

Oh yeah? What have you seen?

Just go for a walk in Sopot and see these English morons behave in a manner which is not acceptable to the local standards. Because they bring in money makes no difference, its just makes the hotel keepers more richer. Poland should bring in a zero tolerance for bad behavior and send these people home on the next plane.

What have you seen in Sopot? I was there earlier this year and didn't see many Brits around at all. Is there trouble at night from Stag parties etc?

And now a spot of pedantry: 'richer' already means 'more rich', so 'more richer' is a redundant phrase. Sadly, it's used a lot by English people who should really know their language 'more better'.

And now a spot of pedantry: 'richer' already means 'more rich', so 'more richer' is a redundant phrase. Sadly, it's used a lot by English people who should really know their language 'more better'.

Thanks for the correction, I might add that I am not English, also saying more richer is accepted in normal conversation,(this is not a english class)

Yes I know it's accepted. It didn't ought to be, though!

Sorry, I'm an ex-teacher and it's hard to stop myself sometimes. The English and Americans themselves are the worst manglers of their own language!

Anyway, what sort of behaviour did you see in Sopot?

"More richer" is acceptable nowhere.

Alternatively it "is not acceptable anywhere."

"Over 6 million people have migrated from Britain already and I would bet many for the same reason as I did; to get away from the increasingly violent and rude sub classes dragging a once great country to its knees with their laziness and expectation that the Nanny State should provide everything for them. Of course these morons will blame it all on immigrants. Uncontrolled immigration has played its part and no one can deny that but the real problem is the ethnic morons, spreading their ideology out from their sink estates like the tentacles of an octopus"

Great quote. It applies anywhere in the West.

Yeah, but China??
I love living in Europe - close to so many interesting places.

As for the linguistic tiffs, well ...
I teach my own kids to speak English properly; I shy away from correcting English on this forum. Still, "more richer" sucks so much precisely because it's used by so many dumb English-speakers. I used to cringe (and bite my tongue) when I regularly heard fellow teachers in England (in a state school) say "pronounciation" instead of "pronunciation". Eeek!

"to a country politeness, respect for law and order and honesty were still valued and practised beliefs"

China?!
I'm not much of a traveller myself, but a good friend of mine, who'd spent the better part of last decade doing business in China, would laugh aloud reading such nonsense. Escape the morons, run to China? "Z deszczu pod rynnę", as we say in Poland :) .

I found this article at: http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=955

Warsaw, Poland
"I was in Warsaw fr 9 months a few years ago teaching English, and there were chavs there too! In fact , the whole of the east side of this Birmingham sized concrete shithole has been concquered by what normal locals call : the sportswear people. They refer to themselves as "apaches" (sorry native Americans)
These are scary fuckers, they look like a combination of UK chavs and nazi war criminals. They cannot afford burberry or Argos gold, but tattered tracksuits, shaven heads and very cheap imitation NIke trainers from the russian market are de rigeur. They are always in groups, always drunk on very cheap strong Polish lager (they have a special brew equivalent) and like to throw beer bottles at very large stray dogs for a laugh. Robbery is their favourite way to make a few zloti, doesnt matter what, where or how, but its usually violent. It starts with the pickpockets in the tram as you cross the river onto the East side...and gets scarier the further you venture east. They live in huge ex Soviet tower blocks. When in Warsaw, leave the east end well alone, it really is too dangerous...and they can smell a western EU citizen from miles away. They will take your watch , wallet,but a passport is the ultimate prize, and all EU citizens in Poland are required by law to carry their passport at all times, Funnily enough, you rarely see Polish chavettes around, dont know why that is really....

So, they have spread as far as the wastelands of Warsaw...they really are on a Ghenghis Khan sized mission to conquer the globe!"

And there are more and more neighbourhoods which aren't so good, as people who can affordit move to better areas. Poznań seems to have a lot of that.

But it still feels safer in Warsaw than in most British cities.

Told you! Blockers .

They're everywhere you look in Poland, not just Praga, Warsaw.

the Gospel according to Saint Chav.

Now what was it they said about casting thefirst stone?

"They're everywhere you look in Poland, not just Praga, Warsaw. "

They're everywhere you look in Poland, not just Praga, Warsaw, Paris, London, Berlin....

Nope, they're much more common in Poland. I watched a good Polish film last night called Stacja Mirsk. There were only five characters in the whole film, but one was the typical, primitive, spitting, sportswear wearing, meathead-type. Watch it and learn something of the mentality of your typical Polish blocker or village burak.

One miliion of them have recently moved to the UK and Ireland.

"Nope, they're much more common in Poland"

I'm sure this comment is based on your extensive chav research in the UK where the name originated as a result of zero chav content...

An old man down my street gifted a plot of land to his grandson so he could build a house and live a decent life ...

... but the chav had a different idea.

He sold it 2 months ago and has just taken delivery of a huge Dodge pick up truck with chrome and lights everywhere. I couldn't stop laughing when I realised what had happened

Funnily, similar things happened when the local peasants started selling land 10 years ago. Some bought cars, others just drank themselves to oblivion. No money sense whatsoever. A smallholder with 3 plots thinks he can sell a plot a year for life and still be able to farm. And what's more - they hate the newcomers for stealing their land!! Burak mentality.

Varsovian I think that mentality is down to the price of land going from near nothing to astronomical prices in Polish terms in the last few years. The sort of people who do this have always been poor and unenterprising and then suddenly realise they are sitting on a goldmine.

It's pretty stupid but given the life expectancy of an alcoholic they probably don't care about the future much.

"An old man down my street gifted a plot of land to his grandson so he could build a house and live a decent life ...

... but the chav had a different idea.

He sold it 2 months ago and has just taken delivery of a huge Dodge pick up truck with chrome and lights everywhere. I couldn't stop laughing when I realised what had happened

Funnily, similar things happened when the local peasants started selling land 10 years ago. Some bought cars, others just drank themselves to oblivion. No money sense whatsoever. A smallholder with 3 plots thinks he can sell a plot a year for life and still be able to farm. And what's more - they hate the newcomers for stealing their land!! Burak mentality. "

Super story and insights

“Super story and insights ”

You must be joking. What super story?

This is a typical peasant on a pay-day. This has been happening all over the place since the real estate boom began.

Why is it I wonder that some people seem to dislike real-life accounts of life in Poland?

This kind of thing happens all over the world. In every country there are people who are content to just survive. In Poland however, such people are often asset-rich and are also highly visible.

In Poland however, such people are often asset-rich and are also highly visible.

They may to an extent be asset rich (depends on the location of the property) keep in mind that they will never be able to afford to buy another property if they sell up. Asset rich and income poor, one can understand that some people opt to enjoy the good life now, spend up and make merry, why die asset rich and have lived the life of a pauper.
Nothing wrong with renting, I understand a high percentage of Germans rent!

"Why is it I wonder that some people seem to dislike real-life accounts of life in Poland? "

For the same reason as people don't like to hear real life accounts of life in other countries. I mean this thread is about life in the UK being crap. For many people that is true. I mean look at 11 year old Rhys Jones shot in liverpool by other teens just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There are teenagers with guns walking the streets of the UK. Only today I saw a story on the news of a woman who when trying to protect her baby died of 20 stab wounds in Bishops stortford - now that is not a particularly rough part of the UK. Everyday there is some story of yet another teen stabbed or shot and people complain about Poland as if there is such a great life to be had in the more developed parts of the west. There are nasty people everywhere these days.

Nobody likes to hear about the bad stuff because if it's your country you want to be proud not embarassed.

stabbing

I've just seen another shocking story about five boys in Kent who stoned a 67 man to death when he was playing crickt with his son (one of the boys involved was only 10 at the time)....what the hell is happening to the world

Anne it seems you have just woken up, nothing has changed it is just that crime news is getting more media attention.
I read the other day of a murder case in my town committed some 27 years ago, a lady was stabbed 58 times, and with all this dna stuff, the prime suspect is a catholic priest.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22330913-2862,00.html

No Offbeat there has been a huge increase recently of teen on teen violent crime. Every day there is news of yet another stabbing. It just never used to happen here - not on this scale.

Ania you are correct in what you say, youth violence, assaults on innocent people is just so common, without stating the obvious ie drugs and alcohol, I think in Oz, the main offenders are the Asians.
I might add that in country Poland, where things are not as good as in the city, its also very, very bad, gangs roam at night and attack and damage anything they see, my uncle's house was broken into and not only did they steal everything they urinated on the carpets and bed sheets.The neighbors heard the noises but did not want to get involved for fear of revenge. This goes on everywhere.

I wasn't talking about burglary or mugging. I'm talking about murders committed by children and not just among ethnic minorities.