Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kebab fat invades Poland

Kebab fat invades Poland

A medieval cobbled square in Poland that has survived invasions by the Nazis and Soviets is being destroyed – by kebab fat.

All Saints' Square in Krakow is being eaten away by fat drops from the favoured snack of thousands of visiting tourists, mostly Britons.

A clean-up failed to stop the kebab rot so engineers are now applying a varnish to protect the cobbles.

They should then need only normal cleaning, officials said.

Re: Kebab fat invades Poland

All Saints' Square in Krakow is being eaten away by fat drops from the favoured snack of thousands of visiting tourists, mostly Britons

Rubbish!

I think all the years of acid rain has done far more damage than kebab fat. All those sculptures and friezes in the Old Town that have been slowly melting away for years are the result of bad environmental policy not kebabs.

I don't know where all saints square is but they replaced all the cobbles in the main square a couple of years back.

"All Saints' Square in Krakow is being eaten away by fat drops from the favoured snack of thousands of visiting tourists, mostly Britons. "

Galloping Balderdash!

Where did that quote come from?

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=62944&in_page_id=2

This appeared in the "weird" section of the Metro. The metro is a freebie newspaper handed out at tube stations in London. I think it has some sort of link to the evening standard or daily mail because sometimes exactly the same stories appear (word for word) in one or t'other.

Other articles in the same issue :

Bikini mermaid fun disturbed by anarchist protestor sharks
Introducing the blinged-up lederhosen
Men charged over brother sex switch
Hungary honours wrong director
Uglies go to dungeon for free

Somehow I don't think this article was meant to be taken too seriously...

Phew! - my wife always tells me the worst kebab she has ever eaten was in Krakow ... bought by me. I was starting to feel guilty about destroying Wawel too.

I can't face kebabs after someone told me how it's made. yuk

"Phew! - my wife always tells me the worst kebab she has ever eaten was in Krakow ... bought by me. I was starting to feel guilty about destroying Wawel too."

The worst kebab I ever had was in Gdańsk-Jelitkowo. Paradoxically the kebab stall had a sign saying 'Najlepszy kebab w mieście".

I haven't been able to face one though, since I read about that thing in Blackpool: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=JWGCB5LPYR5CBQFIQMGCFF4AVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/05/24/nkebab124.xml

"the kebab stall had a sign saying 'Najlepszy kebab w mieście"."

maybe it was the only one in town

I have found that in Poland you should never go by what they "recommend" in any restaurant. When you try to order they always start saying "Polecamy"...etc.... You have to be very careful because sometimes they pretend to have misunderstood and bring you the recommended dish anyway. Usually it's something that isn't selling very well.