Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Rev. Tadeusz Rydzyk

Polish prosecutors decide not to investigate alleged anti-Semitic comments by priest

Polish prosecutors have ruled out investigating a powerful priest who allegedly made anti-Semitic remarks and called the president's wife a "witch," a spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Prosecutors in the central city of Torun said there was no legal case for launching a criminal investigation into the comments reportedly made by Rev. Tadeusz Rydzyk during an April lecture, prosecutors' spokeswoman Ewa Janczur told a news conference.

Torun prosecutors had received more than a dozen complaints alleging Rydzyk had slandered the Polish president, potentially illegal under Polish law, and insulted Jews, Janczur said.

Janczur declined to provide the reasoning behind the decision, saying it would be made public once the prosecutors' decision becomes formally binding.

On recordings of the lecture that surfaced this summer, a speaker purported to be Rydzyk suggests that Jews are greedy and that Polish President Lech Kaczynski is subservient to Jewish lobbyists. The speaker also appeared to criticize the first lady's support for abortion rights, calling her a "witch" and suggesting she should kill herself.

Rydzyk has not denied giving the speech, but suggested the tapes were doctored — without specifying which parts of his speech might have been altered. He also rejected accusations of anti-Semitism and said he "didn't intend to offend anyone."

Rydzyk runs a conservative media empire that includes Radio Maryja, a station that has broadcast anti-Semitic programming in the past.

The prosecutors spent the past two weeks analyzing the tapes after receiving them from the weekly magazine Wprost earlier this month, Janczur said.

In early July, Wprost published excerpts and posted audio clips on its Web site from the lecture, given to students this spring at the journalism school in Torun, which Rydzyk himself founded and where Radio Maryja is headquartered.

His purported comments have sparked outrage among Israelis and Jewish groups. The Israeli ambassador to Poland, David Peleg, called them the worst case of anti-Jewish language Poland has seen since an anti-Semitic campaign in 1968 that drove thousands of Jews to flee the country. He also urged Polish and Roman Catholic authorities to condemn Rydzyk.

In early August, Pope Benedict XVI met briefly with Rydzyk and two other Polish priests after the pontiff's weekly public blessing Sunday in Castel Gandolfo, his summer home.

The Vatican later issued assurances that the Pope's meeting with Rydzyk, which drew protests from Jewish organizations, did not imply any change in the church's desire for good relations with Jews.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/21/europe/EU-GEN-Poland-Conservative-Priest.php

Re: Rev. Tadeusz Rydzyk

Roman Catholic bishops in Poland want controversial priest Father Tadeusz Rydzyk removed as head of the country's influential Radio Maryja religious radio station, according to a Monday newspaper report. Bishops deliberating this weekend at the revered Jasna Gora monastery in Czestochowa were split on the issue, according to Poland's centrist Rzeczpospolita daily newspaper.

But liberal bishops lobbying for the Vatican to intervene to remove Rydzyk won a vote on the matter.

Redemptorist priest Father Tadeusz Rydzyk has become one of Poland's most controversial clergymen.

Founder and director of the religious Radio Maryja radio station, Rydzyk is known for making anti-Semitic comments in broadcasts and courting right-wing politicians.

Cultivating an audience of predominantly rural and poor elderly listeners, the radio station has become a platform for right-wing politicians seeking voters.

Pride comes before a fall. If they remove him, I suspect he'll still be there behind the scenes. Don't forget he runs a private media studies college.

"The Israeli ambassador to Poland, David Peleg, called them the worst case of anti-Jewish language Poland has seen since an anti-Semitic campaign in 1968 that drove thousands of Jews to flee the country."

Was the expulsion of those Jews not connected with their faction of the Communist Party losing in a power struggle with the non-Jewish faction? By logical extension, wasn't the existence of a Jewish Communist faction in itself an expression of racism?

Sorry - just the ramblings of a pedant here ...

"the existence of a Jewish Communist faction "

Wasn't that just a deliberate and cynical tool of the communists to gain power by exploiting Jewish lack of national patriotism and so therefore more likelihood of them being loyal to the party rather than having romantic notions of the past, not just in Poland but in soviet russia? Didn't stalin have a (much earlier) huge purge of Jewish communist party members when their use to him was over? I've read somwhere that Kissinger was involved in negotiations with the kremlin to encourage an increase of exit permits for people of jewish origin around the same time.

I don't know why the losing faction lost in Poland, but they did give birth to KOR, Kuron and Michnik (and so had the last laugh).
Stalin was another matter - he purged the CP because he was paranoid, and most CP leaders were either Jewish (or part-Jews who emphasised their Jewishness to Jewish political allies, like Lenin - who wasn't what most Jews would call a Jew). This was a result of the Jewish emancipation movement (based on textile factory unions) merging with the Social Democratic party and swamping it.

"Stalin was another matter - he purged the CP because he was paranoid"

Varsovian isn't that the same reason for the 1968 expulsions in Poland? I mean it was CP led wasn't it so it must have been because of a kremlin fear that the jewish faction of the party in Poland would gain power in their own right and become organised as a separate political group? (or is that what your last sentence is referring to?)

Also were they actually expulsions out of Poland or did Jews just get the option to leave if they wanted to? From the limited material I have read on the subject I understood that they were thrown out from their Party positions but not out of the country, just given the option to leave. However, having lost their positions of authority and privelege they did not want to stay....

I honestly don't know that much about '68 in Poland, and it's difficult to know what or who to read on the subject as everything is skewed by the Jewish element. Try to read anything decent on Jews in the Russian CP and you hit a brick wall. Dmitri Volkogonov, KGB archivist, is an incredible exception - his works on Stalin and Lenin really indirectly take the mick out of all other works because he had pretty much undiluted access to state files.

As for Poland, anti-semites will come out with one biased version, Jewish activists will say there was no Jewish faction as such in the Polish CP, typical western historians will have a knee-jerk reaction and call anyone looking into the matter an anti-semite. And so you're left with what the winning party says and what the losing party says ...

EC questions decision to give EU funds to Rydzyk school

European Commission (EC) representatives have started questioning the decision to give the Higher School of Social and Media Culture in Toruń, controlled by religious radical Father Rydzyk, �15.3 million in EU donations.

The school was listed as one of key investments to receive additional funding between 2007 and 2013 without the need to take part in competitions. "The school prepared a good motion so it made it on the list," said the officers at the Ministry of Regional Development. "It is a scandal that the school of Father Rydzyk will receive funds while the project of building the bridge in Toruń is on the reserve list. It looks like PiS wants support of Radio Maryja before the elections," said PO deputy from Toruń Tomasz Lenz. EC spokesperson Kathrina Von Schnurbein said that the funds have not yet been finally divided "As for the time being this project is on the list prepared by the Polish government," she said.

Can anybody tell me what the Reverend has done wrong, or is it a witch hunt to put down the church.
Please provide the evidence or shut up!

Offbeat this is the type of thing that gives the Catholic church a bad name. Even my mother doesn't like this guy and that's saying a lot. He seems to be in the church to make money rather than for spiritual reasons.

Offbeat, try letting us know what good he has done.
He is a joke in poland with anyone under 70 or with an IQ of more than 10.
He is an extream racist, greedy, business man that has been praying on the uneducated and elderly in Poland for far too long. Maybe the Vatican is wrong, as was Jan Pawel II.

The vatican will not publically disown a priest, but his recent comments are totally contrary to the message the Catholic church is trying to extend to other faiths. As JPII was also giving this message and trying to unite faiths, it is completely contrary to his views too.

Rydzyk is out on his own with his views, but whether the vatican will do anything about him remains to be seen.

David and Ania, I can see you both delight in trial by assassination, I can only repeat myself and ask you both to provide specific proven allegations, alas No, its all what somebody has told me or what I read in the newspapers.
The sad fact is that Polish people are unable to work together in achieving a common goal, no its everybody having a score to settle, ie he was spy, he did this and he did that, that is why the current political situation in Poland today is a joke, not helped by some people who deliberately put fuel to the fire.
How you you expect the average Pole to walk tall and proud of his country when you have these type of people in the Polish parliament.
I have had the pleasure of meeting both priests (Fr Rydzyk and Jankowski) they are honorable people and are credit to there profession. They have done nothing wrong.
Fr Jankowski spoke out during the communist period and played a important role in that period.
Fr Rydzyk had strong views on Polands entrance to the EU, views that in time may well have been proven to be true.
To say that old people or people of low IQ only support Radio Maryja just proves how some people are out of step with reality.
Its a shame people who call themselves Polish enjoy to put down innocent people.

Offbeat I am not going to waste my time, just go get an education.

Offbeat, Radio Maryja has been a laughing stock among many otherwise religious Poles for several years now because of its outspoken views and interference in politics. I am sure Rydzyk is very personable, this does not make it appropriate to make comments which are going against the message of the church. As a catholic I disapprove strongly of such comments ending up in the press and giving the church a bad name.

"As a catholic I disapprove strongly of such comments ending up in the press and giving the church a bad name."

Well said Ania

Rydzyk is generally seen as a figure of fun here, plenty of tee-shirts with his face on, cartoons etc. But the tragedy is that people outside Poland hear about his exploits and get a very unrealistic idea of the Church

I am not a catholic, I am not religious at all but, I still feel it is a shame this racist, money grabbing, power hungry, person hides behind the catholic church. as I see it he has nothing to do with religion at all.
No religion anywere would agree with his exreme views.
He preys on the uneducated and the old!
I know that during Communist times there was no choice, Radio Marja or communist but times have changed, it is time he is stopped. No a hope that Kaczynski will get rid of him for obvious reasons, no Point in Walesa, moaning now as he did nothing at all during his time in office.
The man is out of control as are the mad twins.
a country I love is becoming a huge Joke.
that pi**es me off. sorry.

"I know that during Communist times there was no choice, Radio Marja or communist"

This is the sort of reason that the behaviour of anyone in the church is unquestioned in Poland. The church was a way to stick two fingers up at the communist regime. Many people still see anyone in the church as beyond reproach.

It's difficult to grasp the strength of feeling on the subject if you didn't live in Poland at the time of communism and feel the energy when you walked into a church during a service or went somewhere like Czestochowa. I guess I was there for two months the summer the strikes in Gdansk began so I saw the build up and the feeling in churches was amazing. It certainly changed my attitude to religion at the time and I've not come across anything like this anywhere since. Go to church in Poland now and it's not the same. However, the old "everything the church does is good" mentality remains.

Offbeat I am not going to waste my time, just go get an education

David, I would expect that sort of reply form a uneducated 40 year old.

Offbeat, Radio Maryja has been a laughing stock among many otherwise religious Poles for several years now because of its outspoken views and interference in politics. I am sure Rydzyk is very personable, this does not make it appropriate to make comments which are going against the message of the church. As a catholic I disapprove strongly of such comments ending up in the press and giving the church a bad name.

Ania, have you ever listened to Radio Maryja, I doubt it! If by some remote chance that you have, tell me what specifically upset you?
You have not provided specific allegations, which tells me you are just using hearsay, how shameful!

As a catholic I disapprove strongly of such comments ending up in the press and giving the church a bad name."

Well said Ania

Mike C... hmmmm. sorry to stretch the friendship, but when did you last go to church? Have you ever heard a Radio Maryja broadcast?

David, I would expect that sort of reply form a uneducated 40 year old.

From an uneducated, not form.

Yes I am 43 in fact. MA in English and psychology. Not as educated as many but then I do understand the basics of someone ripping others off.

I have listened to radio Maryja, last time in a catholic Church in the Uk, this morning, last time in Poland a couple of months ago. What I heard in both had nothing at all to do with what the station broacasts.

Offbeat - Yes I have listened to it plenty of times and the pious voices alone are enough to set my teeth on edge. My 74 year old mother used to listen to it all the time when she first got Polish TV so whenever I was with her it was on. For a long time she was a big fan as it was something she had never had access to over here - a radio station in Polish talking about religion (when I was a child we would listen to radio wolna europa).

She is not a fan of Rydzyk. She says while he has got the country praying (a good thing), he is suspected of making his money by robbing pensioners and he says stupid, embarassing, controversial things (she mentioned the above anti semitic comments and the potential EU funds).

As for Jankowski, she had previously mentioned the amber chapel he is trying to build. Apparently Jankowski made his name during solidarity years being close to Walesa. Her directly translated assessment of him is that he has been hit by "soda water on the brain". He apparently lives in palatial surroundings and when they tried to move him he had a heart attack and people were refusing to go to church.

I'm sorry to offend you if you have a high regard for these two priests, I understand what it is like if you have met someone from the church and have a great deal of respect for them. I guess however, I expect priests to set an example of exemplary behaviour. To me the above two are not following Christ's example of leaving all worldly goods behind to follow as illustrated in the following verse from the song "Barka", JPII's favourite.

"Jestem ubogim czlowiekiem,
Moim skarbem sa rece gotowe
Do pracy z Toba
I czyste serce"

For those that have not listened, listen online:-

http://www.radiomaryja.pl/

Enjoy

erm...I'm sure people aren't that fascinated Dajwid. The radio station itself is a great comfort to a lot of housebound elderly people around the world.

It's a great pity it is so political and mercenary. I hate anything like this just like I hate the evangelical stations in america.... "touch the screen to feel God" etc.

The man is blatently racist, daily the station accuses people of being Jewish, as if it is a crime.
Donations flood in as he lives in a massive mansion.

Sorry this is not religion it is a cult, that is living on the name of the catholic church.

Try searching internet for any positive comments about Radio Maryja or trwam.

The radio station itself is a great comfort to a lot of housebound elderly people around the world.

I agree, but he should be trying to help those people not ask them for cash and fill their minds with lies.

Yes Dajwid....

“Mike C... hmmmm. sorry to stretch the friendship, but when did you last go to church? Have you ever heard a Radio Maryja broadcast?”

Yesterday actually. The Evening Mass. Offbeat, I went to Jesuit schools my whole life, including college. I consider myself a proud Roman Catholic. A REAL Roman Catholic, the type that believes in hard work, education, charity, and giving back to the community.

Yes, I have heard Radio Maryja Broadcast. I have heard Rydzyk preach. I have met him on one of his many fundraising trips to the US. He is a piece of work.

Here is what I consider especially abhorrent about his operation:

- He collects money from poor pensioners in Poland and gives them nothing in return. Church should help the poor, not take their money.

- His broadcasts and sermons are laced with politics, racism, and xenophobia. He has every right to his views, however engaging in politics for personal (monetary) gain is despicable when coming from a priest.

- He extorted special taxing status for his organization by exerting political pressure in Poland. His organization is 100% tax exempt. Perhaps he should read what Jesus had to say about paying taxes.

- He lives in opulent luxury. Nothing wrong with it unless you are a priest.

I agree with one comment you made. Jankowski did a great job during the 1980’s. Unfortunately, he drank the power kool-aid and became too involved in business himself.

The sad thing is that Rydzyk does not run any charities or engage in any type of charitable work. He is all about the $$$. Great businessman, but far from what a priest should be.

So offbeat, my friend – why do you like Rydzyk so much?

So offbeat, my friend – why do you like Rydzyk so much?

Mike C nice to be called your friend (I'll need a few contacts in Poland when I visit next, I'm sure you will look after me in the form of accommodation in many of your investment properties)!
As a preface Australians have a spirit of giving a person a fair go, I would have thought that Americans are similar (now I have my doubts) It seems Polish people have a mentality of "if you see a head just kick it"
Lets be very clear the good Reverend has done no wrong, nothing has been proven. just nasty speculator and innuendo. How sad!
Priest and Religious have always enjoyed good accommodation and general living standards, nothing has changed. I personally have no problems with that as no person is perfect.
The issue of tax exemption is nothing new, It was only in recent time that Religious institutions were exempt in paying tax in Oz.
Then mention of poor people donating to The good Reverend, well how blessed they are, I only wish I could do that. What the good Reverend does with the money is on his conscious and he will be made to account. Nothing has been proven that any of the money has gone to some private Swiss accounts.
With Radio Maryja I can only say, how lucky the Polish people are in having this radio station, I wish Australia could have a equivalent.
Fr Rydzyk has responded to the needs and concerns of the Polish people and has my full support.
There are many people who delight in attacking the church, nothing is new, the sad thing is that so called Poles are playing into the hands of people who would like it to disappear from the face of the earth.

Sto Lat Fr Rydzyk

She is not a fan of Rydzyk. She says while he has got the country praying (a good thing), he is suspected of making his money by robbing pensioners and he says stupid, embarassing, controversial things (she mentioned the above anti semitic comments and the potential EU funds).

Hmmm. how sad, she has been talking to the wrong people. here we go again "suspected of" lol, I rest my case.
Robbing pensioners.. get a life will you!

Basically he has a bad opinion among Poles in the UK who take an interest in the matters of the Polish church Offbeat. There must have been negative reports in the Polish media. For example the above article.

However, I am sure the press has got him all wrong and he is above reproach. So are you saying the accusations in the above article are false? Why would people complain if he had not said such things?

Millions of educated Poles are wrong, but offbeat is right.

maybe you are slightly offbeat when it comes to such issues.

Basically he has a bad opinion among Poles in the UK who take an interest in the matters of the Polish church Offbeat. There must have been negative reports in the Polish media. For example the above article

Ania your knowledge of Rev Rydzyk is what you have heard from others or the media...lol.. just goes to show that small minds are easily lead.. Could I suggest you start all over again and do a more objective research. Sorry.
Your knowledge would be pretty distorted if you believed everthing you read in the newspapers.

Millions of educated Poles are wrong, but offbeat is right.

Victor everyone in Poland is educated whether there degrees are obtained at the university, paid for in the form of a bribe or obtained in the Corn Flakes packets what the difference. The vast majority of people support Fr Rydzyk.
Poles have a unhealthy habit of criticizing people who are successful, or its just another form of being jealous?

Offbeat are you saying that you don't think Rydzyk and the negative publicity he is getting is not harmful to the Catholic church? You accuse me of being ignorant and of the media of getting it all wrong....so here is an article I found on the subject.

The article is sourced from Gazeta Wyborcza (which I understand is a quality paper). It is an interview with an expert on canonical law. In summary he is saying that the issue is not whether father Rydzyk said something anti semitic and against the teachings of the church, but that 13 years ago Radio Maryja should have been declared as an organisation that operates outside the church and Rydzyk's involvement is as a private individual. That this is the minimum which should have happened and that he thinks it's a shame it did not. He also quote Bishop Wesoly who said that the episcopat should turn to the congregation of religious orders and secular organisations. The prof agrees with this way forward. He says bishops cannot prohibit Fr Rydzyk from his involvement but if they feel his involvement is harmful then they should put their case to the Vatican. (sorry may not be perfect translation but I think it's the gist of it).

This clearly states that there is a problem here and that the church is aware that there is a problem. Are you saying that Biskup Wesoly (someone incidentally who I have met when he ran kurs Loreto, and who was very close to JPII) is talking about this subject for no reason??? Are you saying he too is misquoted? I mean some of what the papers write must be true even if it does get dressed up in propaganda. My main concern is that the whole Radio Maryja fiasco is becomming an embarassment to the church and needs to be brought under a tight reign or entirely disowned by the church as suggested. The Catholic church gets enough ridicule as it is and situations like the above are not needed. You can accuse me of being ignorant and misinformed if you want but the facts speak for themselves.

http://www.gazetawyborcza.pl/1,75478,4426031.htmlFot. MARCIN TOMALKA / AG
Ks. prof. Remigiusz Sobański

Rozmowa z

prof. Remigiuszem Sobańskim*

Aleksandra Klich: Episkopat miał się zająć w najbliższą sobotę sprawą taśm o. Rydzyka, pod warunkiem że prokuratura uzna, iż są autentyczne. Wczoraj okazało się, że prokuratura w ogóle nie dopatrzyła się w sławnym wykładzie znamion przestępstwa. Co teraz zrobią biskupi?

Prof. Remigiusz Sobański: Nie wiem, co zrobią. Ale nie redukujmy problemu Radia Maryja tylko do tych taśm i do stanowiska prokuratury. Gdybyśmy tak zrobili, popełnilibyśmy błąd. Wykłady to kwestia prawdy lub oszczerstwa, problem pewnego pomówienia, tymczasem w sprawie ojca Rydzyka chodzi o coś więcej.

O co?

- O treści przekazywane przez Radio Maryja.

Że są antysemickie i niezgodne z nauką Kościoła?

- Proszę pani, mogę powiedzieć tylko tyle: 13 lat temu należało zdecydowanie powiedzieć, że ta firma działa na własny rachunek, nie wiem - redemptorystów albo ojca Tadeusza Rydzyka, prywatnej osoby. Że nie ma nic wspólnego z Kościołem. To było minimum, które należało zrobić, ale tak się nie stało. Mogę tylko żałować.

Problem stał się palący. Jak go rozwiązać?

- Nie mnie radzić cokolwiek biskupom. Ale wczoraj na łamach "Gazety Wyborczej" ksiądz arcybiskup Szczepan Wesoły powiedział, że Episkopat powinien się zwrócić do Kongregacji ds. Zakonów i Instytutów Świeckich. Mogę powtórzyć: tak, tędy droga. Na pewno biskupi nie mogą zakazać ojcu Rydzykowi działalności. Jeśli uznają, że jest szkodliwa, to winni przedłożyć takie oświadczenie w Watykanie.

Będą zgodni i tak zrobią?

- Nie znam odpowiedzi na to pytanie.

*prof. Remigiusz Sobański jest wybitnym znawcą prawa kanonicznego, konsultorem Rady Prawnej Konferencji Episkopatu Polski

Źródło: Gazeta Wyborcza

"Poles have a unhealthy habit of criticizing people who are successful, or its just another form of being jealous?"

You have the wrong end of the stick with this comment. There are, and have been, many eminent and successful Poles in the Catholic church. JPII being the most well known example.

Why is Rydzyk being criticised so much in Poland when JPII was so popular, given that JPII was far more successful?

I know you are not going to agree with me so I will stop posting on this debate because we will have to agree to disagree.

In my view whether Fr Rydzyk is innocent or guilty of being anti semitic, this case has harmed the reputation of the church. In your view it has not harmed the church (by virtue of its widespread publicity).

We have two different views and I know that you will not be convinced. I know you feel you should be loyal to the church because it is always being picked on and I understand your feelings on that subject, but in this situation I cannot agree. Sorry.

The vast majority of people support Fr Rydzyk.

Over 70s village idiots and who?

Aren't they the same ones that voted for Mr lepper?

"Your knowledge would be pretty distorted if you believed everthing you read in the newspapers."

Very true. But as far as Rydzyk goes, I have heard him preach in person during Mass. It had nothing to do with Scripture, he went on a long rant about Polish President at the time (Kwasniewski) and how he and his collegues were ruining the country. This was at a Polish-American Church, where half the poeople do not speak Polish at all. Even so, several of the ones who do got up and left.

This is quite unusual because Americans of Polish descent are usually fascinated with anything Polish and very supportive of Poland.

Most people do not want to hear about politics during a sermon. The whole "Seperation of Church and State" is alive and well (in the US anyway).

Nevertheless, Rydzyk managed to collect large checks from many widows and older folks that day

The fact that Walesa, who fought "in the trenches" with Jankowski has distanced himself from he and Rydzyk and is actively supporting PO these upcoming elections says a lot.

Okay, last thing on this. My friend’s family owns a market at a small town in Southern Poland. One day while visiting I witnessed three old women (pensioners) who came in to pick up groceries. It turned out they get their pensions sent directly to the store, subsequently they set aside all their money for food and bills that month and – yes – monthly ‘donation’ to Radio Maryja.

Employee who worked the counter said that almost every pensioner in town does the same thing.

People's lives have changed everywhere. But in Poland, the changes have been more extreme and brutal than in most other places, and old people have seen their world change beyond their comprehension. Rydzyk capitalises on this fear.

The old people who pay him 20 or 50 zl each month believe they are doing it for God, the future of their families and for Poland; they are prepared to overlook the fact they are bankrolling a phalangist political demogogue who drives a Maybach.

He drives a Maybach??
Obviously the anti-Christ!!!

Helecopter too, hardly helping the poor

Ania, thanks for your response and translation, you could have picked something more convincing.
There has always been tensions between the local church and religious orders, in the case of Rev Rydzyk, he is a member of the Redemptorist Order and he is accountable to his Superior, who in turn is accounts to the Superior General in Rome.(there has always been friction between the Jesuits and local church)
Rydzyk got permission to set up his radio station from the Bishop of Torun.
Have to beg to differ on this one. (unless you have some mud pies hidden away somewhere)

Mike C, I find your comments amazing, I thought you would have got away from the negative Polish mentality so common in Poland today.
Firstly can I just say if there was a Australian version of Radio Maryja and some alleged comments were made as alleged by people concerning Radio Maryja, it would never get the same response as it has received in Poland, I would have thought that you learned from the American people that we live in a democracy, yeah freedom of speech, IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING DON'T LISTEN TO IT, IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN IT DON'T DONATE. AND MOVE ON AND GET A LIFE.
The fact remains that the good Rev has done nothing wrong, if people wish to donate, good luck to them, they know whats going on and know where the money is going to, the old people giving the money as you mentioned, well how blessed are they, there God will reward them.
I would have no hesitation donating money to radio Maryja, absolutely.

This discussion has highlighted how nasty and negative Polish people can be, IT IS LITTLE WONDER THAT POLISH PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED POSITIVE THINKING WHILST LIVING IN THE WEST NEVER WANT TO RETURN TO POLAND.. HOW SAD.

"I would have no hesitation donating money to radio Maryja, absolutely."

Good for you offbeat. I will keep you in my prayers.

“This discussion has highlighted how nasty and negative Polish people can be”

How exactly? Because of how free-thinking Poles feel about Rydzyk?

“we live in a democracy, yeah freedom of speech”

I had no idea Radio Maryja listeners were such democrats

Practice what you preach brother. You forgot “Separation of Church and State” comes right after “Freedom of Speech”.

You gotta hand it to Rydzyk - the Mohair Brigades have gone international

"the Redemptorist Order and he is accountable to his Superior, who in turn is accounts to the Superior General in Rome.(there has always been friction between the Jesuits and local church)"

Is he a Jesuit?

Is he a Jesuit?

No he is not, I was making a point that Relgious Orders don't always see eye to eye with the local church. They have there own structure.

Mike C, I thought you had matured with your views on the world, alas not, I guess I will have to keep on chipping away.
O yes, It would be nice if you would show the same amount of venom in exposing the corrupt US government as you show to the Catholic Church.hmmm I forgot the US is perfect.

What venom? I am Catholic you mohair lover. Rydzyk DOES NOT speak for the Catholic Church. He represents a renegade sect that has come under Vatican censure and scrutiny.

Ania, Jesuits build schools and hospitals, Rydzyks live off of pensioners and widows

Yes I know about Jesuits Mike. They also have more autonomy from the Vatican than many orders. It's an american order isn't it?

At the end of the day the church needs to sort this out internally and distance itself.

No, they've been around for hundreds of years. Started off as "Foot soldiers of the Pope" during Crusades.

Very respected in the US because of their work in education (Georgetown University, University of Notre Dame, Loyola University, and many others)

I guess they are just very big in America.

Maybe they are very close to the vatican but this gives them more freedom. Aren't they seen as an elite and intellectual order and also a wealthy and powerful one? "Confessors to the kings" and all that?

They are both intellectually rigorous and deeply spiritual. The 40 days devotion, which can only be done with a bishop's permission, has caused mental breakdown for many over the years, and is now only for the most psychologically robust. Their academic work (round the world, not just in US) is highly respected, as are the missionary societies they sponsor, who support existing Christian communities in places like Sudan & Iraq. Rydzyk's redemptorists (whose reputation is increasingly tarnished - anybody remember their radiostation in Germany being closed down for racism?) are nothing to do with The Society of Jesus.

And Jesuits woul never, ever run an anti-semitic radio station or allow a member to publicly describe the first lady of Poland as a witch.

If the 'family of radio Maryja' (Rydzyk's cult of elderly phalangists) turned up with their filthy banners about 'eurosodomy' or 'zionists' at a Jesuit gathering, they would be sent home pretty quickly.

It's possibly worth mentioning that in places (mostly round Africa, South America, Spain & parts of US) where divisive & often dangerous "churches within the church" form (basically sects/cults within Catholicism) form & annoy the Vatican, the Jesuits often go in to promote normality & a healthier form of religion. Given that "The Family of Radio Maryja" have been accused of being such a cult (rember when Pope John Paul 2 refused to meet them), perhaps it's time for the Jesuits to step up their activity here in Poland?

Cardinal Dziwisz wants controls on Polish Catholic radio

Krakow, Sep. 4, 2007 (CWNews.com) - Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz of Krakow has called for close episcopal supervision over Radio Maryja, saying that the controversial broadcaster threatens the unity of Polish Catholicism.

Cardinal Dziwisz, the longtime secretary to Pope John Paul II (bio - news), made his suggestion in an address delivered on August 25 at a meeting of the Polish hierarchy, and published this week by the Catholic weekly Tygodnik Powszechny. The cardinal said that Radio Maryja is part of a worrisome trend in which the work of the Catholic Church is "gradually slipping out of the bishops' control."

Cardinal Dziwisz urged the replacement of Father Tadeusz Rydzyk, the Redemptorist priest who founded Radio Maryja, with a new director whose guidance of the station would be more in line with the wishes of the Polish hierarchy.

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=53288

Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding small
Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness grinds He all.
—Friedrich Von Logau (1614–1655): Retribution

God's mills grind slow but sure.
-George Herbert (1593 - 1633): Jacula Prudentum.

Offbeat! So far not 1 single person agrees with backing the cult that you are promoting, if it was an extreamist fron a non christian religion, people would not have been so polite.
You agree to send money and follow this man, that is your choice.
He is an extreamist, he prays savagly on the old and poor, he has been condemed by the vatican and catholic church.
I see the massive damage he is causing in Poland.
I am amazed any Pole could still trust, believe, let alone have the face to promote him on a forum such as this.

I repeat I am not catholic, but he is really the black sheep, bringing shame on the church.

I have nothing to add, I pity you for being so gullable.

It doesn't really matter any more Dajwid, because now that Dziwisz spoken out something will be done about Radio Maryja. Dziwisz is probably one of the most high profile people in the Catholic church in Poland. He was very close to JPII so anything he says will be respected by the Polish catholic congregation. Even Offbeat must take his views seriously now that he has spoken out officially like this. The fact he has made a statement shows how seriously the church is taking the current situation.

I personally am not religous, but this as damaging to the church.
Hope he gets stopped or at least taxed on his massive income.

I have nothing to add, I pity you for being so gullible.

No need to show pity, its a shame that you have a biased mind, our Americans friends should be more concerned with the church in there own country with regard to child abuse, or the war in Iraq.
No one has detailed specific allegations against the good Reverend.
If Radio Maryja advocates family values, it has my support, if it exposes the manipulation of Polish politics by the old guard communist, Freemasons and Jews it has my support...oops I'll take that comment back otherwise I will be accused of being anti semetic...what a joke

Bravo Fr Rydzyk and Radio Maryja

Practice what you preach brother. You forgot “Separation of Church and State” comes right after “Freedom of Speech”.

What about Christmas Day? Whats on the American Dollar note, What about American Presidents always saying "God Bless America"
America would not be in the mess it is today if the church had more say.
And what about the Jewish influence in American Politics???

>>if it exposes the manipulation of Polish politics by the old guard communist, Freemasons and Jews it has my support...oops I'll take that comment back otherwise I will be accused of being anti semetic...what a joke

And with that, the mystery of offbeat's support for the good reverend is solved.

And yes, you will be because you are.

"if it exposes the manipulation of Polish politics by the old guard communist, Freemasons and Jews it has my support"

There are fewer than a thousand Freemasons in Poland, No more than a handful, if any at all, are involved in any way in politics. There are no serving politicians to the best of my knowledge. No single profession or political viewpoint is dominant among the members, many of whom are elderly. Many are practising Catholic, which reflects the demographic in Poland. The addresses of lodges are in the phone book, and the grand lodges are registered as voluntary organisations with the Polish courts. There are occasional meetings open to non-members. There is no conspiracy, nor has there ever been.

Offbeat, your comments seem unfortunately to be as ill-founded and menacing as some of Ojca Rydzyk's.

And why would Jewish people want to manipulate anything in Poland? Absolutely no reason to. If there's any manipulation going on, it's more likely to be the manipulation of aged and vulnerable Radio Maryja listeners by Fr Rydzyk.

Pure anti-semitic nonsense.

Tadeusz Rydzyk is no better that Hitler in my oppinion.

Why do you feel he should not pay tax.

"There are fewer than a thousand Freemasons in Poland, No more than a handful, if any at all, are involved in any way in politics. "

Are there so many masons in other countries?

What about Catholic masons? The Catholics have their own masonic organisations from what I have heard (an English friend was being put under pressure to join because his father is a member). Or is that what you meant?

There are about 300,000 Freemasons in England (250,000 male 50,000 female). Up to 5 million in US, but less than half of those attend regularly, and about 200,000 in France. The country with the highest per capita number is probably Iceland, where it seems to be very popular.

There are no such thing as 'Catholic Masonry' as such. Freemasonry isn't a religious organisation and is open to people of all faiths. The thing you mean, is probably KSC, a well-respected parish based business and professional mens' club, specifically for Roman Catholics. Somebody might be put under familial pressure to join that; it is very family oriented. Nobody is ever put under pressure to join Freemasonry (though in the US, some masons are keen for their sons to join) indeed they would not be able to join under duress.

In Poland, FM was banned between 1820 and 1918 (Russian part), and between 1938 and 2000, though there was a sort of lodge operating under the aegis of a French lodge from 1961. Many if not most Polish Freemasons didn't survive the war, due to many members being either military men or intellectuals. In other parts of occupied Europe, Masons were arrested and sent to Dachau.

Famous deceased members in Poland include: Presidents Narutowicz and Rydz-Śmigły, President-in-Exile Zaleski, Adam Mickiewicz, Cardinal Podoski, Artur Zawisza, Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz (poet), Andrzej Strug (writer), King Stanisław August Poniatowski, Jan Henryk Dąbrowski (national anthem), Józef Elsner (Chopin's music teacher), Izabela Czartoryska (patron of the arts), Janusz Korczak and many more. Some quite respected living members too!

But Fr. Rydzyk & Offbeat seem to think these people are/were somehow against Poland.

For interest, worldwide, members have included: George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parkes, Cole Porter, Oliver Hardy, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Irving Berlin, Al Jolson, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Paul Revere, Buzz Aldrin, Charles Lindbergh, Harpo Marx,Bernard Bresslaw, PG Woodhouse, Josephine Baker, Mark Twain, Annie Besant, both Roosevelts, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, LBJ, Churchill, George VI, Alexander Fleming, Dr Barnardo, Conan Doyle, Elias Ashmole, Cromwell, Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Lizt, Goethe, Kipling, Chagall, Hogarth, Houdini, Pushkin, Nelson, Voltaire, Trollope, Montesquieu, Josephine Bonaparte, Marie Antoinette, Salvador Allende, Alphonse Mucha, Simon Bolivar, Kemal Ataturk and millions of others.

But Fr. Rydzyk & Offbeat seem to think these people are somehow conspiring against Poland

"But Fr. Rydzyk & Offbeat seem to think these people are somehow conspiring against Poland"

Well that's probably because as you say mainstream freemasonry is non-religious and is widely seen as anti-organised religion. Is it true that America is run on freemason ethics?

Some people are very anti-freemason and refuse to join if invited. These are not necessarily religious people. They are against it on principle. I'm not really sure what the attraction is.

Freemasonry isn't really anti-religious, though at times, and in continental Europe and South America, it has attracted members who believed strongly in seperation of Church and State, at times when that was a particular issue. It is also generally expected (here in PL at least) that members should be able to make up thei own minds on important issues. In effect, one should be free.

It's hard to talk about 'Freemason ethics', since there are so many members each with their own views, and there are so many types of lodge, each with their own focus. The nearest thing to 'Freemason ethics' is that all Masons publicly affirm their support for Freedom, Equality, and Brotherhood, with a particular part of the ceremonies (sorry I can't go into more detail - you'd have to join to find out!) referring to the concepts of Wisdom, Strength, Beauty and Peace.

The anti-masonic thing, at least in UK and other English-speaking countries, has a bit to do with the huge increase in members shortly after world war 2 (the veterans were great 'joiners' of things generally) which led to a bit of a 'butcher, baker and candlestickmaker' feel to some lodges, very noticeable in small towns. Also, there have been a few books published repeating all sorts of nonsense about secret handshakes and skullduggery in order to sell copies.

The reality is quite different. Many people are drawn to it for all sorts of reasons. Some lodges (especially the mixed male & female ones) are quite esoteric, some are quite 'clubby', some very cerebral. There is something special about it really.

This was in today's Daily Telegraph. Reasonably fair, all things considered.

Polish poll may hang on priest's message
By Harry de Quetteville in Warsaw
Last Updated: 1:54am BST 10/09/2007

A radical Polish priest accused of xenophobia and anti-Semitism has become the "king-maker" of his country's election campaign.
Father Tadusz Rydzyk runs the Radio Maryja Catholic media network and his messages to the faithful could influence the outcome of the polls.
The coalition led by the prime minister, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, fell apart last month and an election campaign has begun.
While Mr Kaczynski and his twin brother Lech, who serves as president, are well known for their grip on the secular levers of control - including myriad security services - Fr Rydzyk has emerged as a power broker who claims his power from a higher authority.
In staunchly Roman Catholic Poland, the ability to mobilise the faithful in their pews and at the ballot box is critical.
Run from a fenced compound in the city of Torun, 75 miles north-west of Warsaw, Radio Maryja was created by Fr Rydzyk in 1991 and has one million listeners a day. Others read the priest's newspaper or watch his television channel.
Radio Maryja has become a crucial political ally of the conservative Kaczynski twins.
"Radio Maryja has up to 1-2 million listeners. But they are a very specific group - usually old, and very disciplined voters," said Dr Jacek Kucharczyk, from Poland's independent political think tank, the Institute of Public Affairs.
"In the 2005 elections, with Poland's low turnout, the Kaczynskis won with just 3.5 million votes, so a block of one million voters is huge. It has made Rydzyk a king-maker."
That power has increasingly allowed Fr Rydzyk to impose Radio Maryja's agenda on national politics in Poland.
In part that means homespun family values.
But Radio Maryja's critics argue that Fr Rydzyk and his media empire are also anti-Semitic and homophobic.
"It is extremist. The political message is xenophobic, notoriously anti-Semitic, anti-German, homophobic - you name it," said Dr Kucharczyk.

With all the smear and lies thrown at the Reverend, I have yet to see one specific comment the Reverend has made which is not of the Catholic faith, I point out that I am not of defender of Radio Maryja and if I had proof that Fr Rydzyk was a fraud or a cheat I would be the first to speak against him.
Thankfully giving to the church money as a form of indulgences does not exist in Oz and I would suggest it will slowly disappear in Poland, its pretty sad that you have to pay a priest a arm and a leg to get somebody buried, baptized, or married in Poland (and of course the envelope when the priest visits during Easter)

The comments by forum members suggest that Poland will never be a great country, because Poles are not able to work and respect each other. The Poles have a strange habit of knocking people who have good intentions ie politicians in particular. The current politicians have there good and bad sides, like politicians in every other part of the world.

" The Poles have a strange habit of knocking people who have good intentions ie politicians in particular. The current politicians have there good and bad sides, like politicians in every other part of the world."

This happens everywhere Offbeat. (Except maybe America where they put something in the water to make people happy with everything america does and to love their president! )

"if I had proof that Fr Rydzyk was a fraud or a cheat I would be the first to speak against him."

Do you think Dziwisz has no proof?

Do you think Dziwisz has no proof?

Its purely a internal matter, more to do with the authority of the local church, Dziwisz has no authority over Rydzyk, The church in Poland has always had a strict authority ie the Bishops running the show not a priest from a religious order who is accountable to his superior in Rome.

We will have to beg to differ on this one, no hard feelings, still love ya

I repeat, TAX???

"Dziwisz has no authority over Rydzyk"

Yes but I guess my point is not about the internal structure of the church, but about whether Dziwisz must have proof in order to raise the issue in the first place. Why would he bother getting involved otherwise? Why would Biskup Wesoly be making comments if nothing serious is going on?

"I repeat, TAX???"

No church anywhere pays tax,in Britain, vicars don't even pay Council Tax.

As for proof that Rydxyk has said offensive and un-Christian things, remember that he was recorded saying than the Presiden't wife is a witch who should euthanise herself.

Isn't the mere fact that Rydzyk was funded by a Polish Nazi living in S. America enough for anyone? (Kobylanski)

He's a vile creature.

But then how many preists have a maybach a helicopter and an army of bodyguards, how many live a massive building specially built.
He runs a multimedia company not a church.

Tadeusz Rydzyk is no better that Hitler in my oppinion.

Why do you feel he should not pay tax.

Victor, Victor, comments like these gives you little credibility, There has always been tension between the Jews and the Church, one thing you may not be aware of is the Jews want to reclaim land and buildings which they owned prior to the war..these are the most sort after locations in poland. I think this stinks.s

Oh Lord *prays* please help us avoid yet another Polish/Jewish relations debate..Amen!

I found out an interesting thing yesterday. I thought it was just the Catholic church that was anti Jewish in medieval times, but apparently Luther was too and even more vehemently and violently so. It surprised me that someone so totally forward thinking for his time thought this way...I assume all Lutherans have rejected that part of his works (I think the church in America has). However, I wonder if they still have an influence on Lutheran congregations who come across them today.

“Victor, Victor, comments like these gives you little credibility, There has always been tension between the Jews and the Church, one thing you may not be aware of is the Jews want to reclaim land and buildings which they owned prior to the war..these are the most sort after locations in poland. I think this stinks”

The fact is that most of this “sought after” property went to the Catholic Church in the early 1990’s. Buildings and land were given back in some cases where the only claim was a deed dating back to 1600’s!!

At the moment, the Archdiocese of Krakow owns close to 90% of real estate in and around Krakow Old Town. This is only one of many examples, as is the case all over Poland.

Offbeat, why don’t you start by reading what the late Pope John Paul II had to say on relations between the Roman Church and the Jews. Your comments on this are ludicrous. Jesus Christ was a Jew by the way.

“Jewish”, as you say, claims on property held before WWII are insignificant anyway. Regardless, anyone with a legitimate claim should have their day in court.

“If Radio Maryja advocates family values, it has my support, if it exposes the manipulation of Polish politics by the old guard communist, Freemasons and Jews it has my support...”

Wow…please provide ONE example of this “manipulation”.

Do you even know any Masons?

Powiedz nam Ojcze, czy miłujesz Boga z całego serca swego? Czy miłujesz bliźnich (wszystkich) jak siebie samego?

Czemu nie dzielisz się majątkiem z biednymi staruszkami, które w dobrej wierze oddają Ci ostatni grosz? Czemu nie wspomagasz ich wiedząc, że są chore, pozostawione bez opieki? Czy Ci nie wstyd bawić się, grać na giełdzie?

Skąd wziął się Twój majątek Ojcze Dyrektorze? Czyż jako zakonnik, nie ślubowałeś żyć w ubóstwie?
Gdzie byłeś Ojcze Dyrektorze w rocznicę śmierci papieża, kiedy Twoje owieczki oddawały cześć jego pamięci?

Kto dał Ci prawo, byś kreował liderów politycznych, szkalował tych, którzy mają odmienne poglądy? Kto dał Ci prawo narzucać wiernym Twoje przekonania, straszyć ich gniewem Bożym? Kto pozwolił Ci kupczyć Bogiem? A może Ty sam czujesz się Bogiem?

I ostatnie pytanie. Czy Ty Ojcze Dyrektorze na pewno wierzysz w Boga? To chyba nie może być ten sam Bóg, w którego My wierzymy.

http://www.radiomawryja.pl/

Mike I doubt anything will convince offbeat on this point. He has met Rydzyk and feels loyal to him.

I'm sure they got on like a cross, sorry house on fire, they have so much in common!

Spikey hats??

"Spikey hats?? "

Oh no don't start a prussia debate too!

What are Tadeusz Rydzyk's views on Germans and Germany?

Loves far-right Germans, hates German anti-extremists laws. Didn't he get told he was persona non grata or something?
I'm a bit hazy on this ...

I'm told he was 'asked' to leave a few years ago for inciting racial hatred. I'd like to see some hard proof of this though.

and as for
"There has always been tension between the Jews and the Church, one thing you may not be aware of is the Jews want to reclaim land and buildings which they owned prior to the war..these are the most sort after locations in poland. I think this stinks.s "

If land or buildings were illegally taken from somebody, then they belong to their heirs - property ownership is absolute, and respected within the EU. As for 'sought after' property, this is irrelevant. In most cases it is people's homes, paid for by their hard earned cash. The Rydzyk tendency see nothing wrong with an ethnic Pole had to abandon their home in the war subsequently reclaiming it (Jaruzelski's villa on ul. Idzikowskiego is subject to such a law suit from the pre-war owners, now in New York), so how is it different if the owner is Jewish? Offbeat, I'd really like to hear your perspective on this.

"What are Tadeusz Rydzyk's views on Germans and Germany?"

Traditionally (or officially before & since communism, unofficially always) the 'Endeks' (Giertych family, Rydzyk, before war Dmowski) quite liked liked the East, (ethnic brothers??) and loathed Germany; whereas the 'Sanacja' (Pilsudski, the intellegentsia, arguably the forerunners of Platforma) deeply distrusted Russia and liked Germany and the West, seeing the Western enlightenment values as something that poland can share and seeing Poland's place as a modern European country.

The pro-enlightenment, progressive camp often use the word 'Ciemnogród' to describe the murky eastern darkness that the far-right camp want to hold Poland back in. The far-right side often accuse the other side of something they call 'relativism' and anti-Polonism.

1 2