Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Question

Man plucked from jaws of rubbish truck
Reuters Thu Aug 23, 10:13 AM ET

Austrian refuse collectors rescued a Polish man from the jaws of a rubbish truck after hearing his cries for help, Austrian daily Kleine Zeitung reported Wednesday.

The homeless 50-year-old had spent the night in a rubbish container on a housing estate in the town of Arnoldstein in southern Austria.

In the morning, refuse collectors came along and emptied the bin into the back of their lorry, Kleine Zeitung said. One of the workers heard his cries and stopped the machine when the press in the back of the truck started squashing the rubbish.

The man was not hurt but taken to hospital for checks.

The question then is what is better - homeless in Austria or living in Kaczynskiland?

Re: A Question

Polish media constantly paints a picture of how the streets of the west are paved with gold. Poles who were virtually unemployable in Poland come back from the west with new cars, buy flats, and splash money around. Is it any wonder that the desperate seek to mimic this success. Sadly many fail.

People that age who are homeless usually have either mental health or substance misuse problems. It doesn't matter whether this guy is in Poland or austria or the UK for that matter. I don't think they are very tolerant of homeless people in Poland so it may be that Poland is exporting its homeless problems.

The homeless who have truly come to see if the streets are paved with gold and fallen on hard times are usually younger than 50.

"substance misuse problems" - they are alcoholics

"substance misuse" is a term covering drugs or alcohol Hans

50 year old homeless types in Poland drink alcohol to excess. They don't do drugs. Same as anywhere really.

Angela I was talking about homeless people that age in general (not specifically in Poland) and I think I also mentioned mental health problems. Among the homeless in the UK it is a much neglected group when it comes to rehabilitation into society. There are many projects for young people but not for those over say 30.

I know people don't like to think like this but alcohol is in fact a highly addictive legalised drug.

50 year old Poles don't do drugs. Alcohol, yes, it's seen as macho, and is a huge problem in all slavic countries. Illegal drugs, no way.

I meant I wasn't talking about just Poles when I used the term "substance misuse"

There are tramps everywhere. I've noticed a difference between the warsaw homeless and those back in Leeds.

The English ones that are more visible and are openly begging tend to be younger. Older homeless are harder to find - you only see them in certain places where they congregate to drink cheap cider.

The Polish ones that you see, begging and drinking or sleeping the drink off, tend to be older. Younger homeless exist, but seem to be a bit more out of sight.

Wonder why?

Yes I remember as a child that if you saw a tramp he would usually be an old man.

Just guessing but maybe it's down to the breakdown of the traditional family unit in the UK. Very young homeless in London are usually escaping abusive situations at home. They also have abusive situations in Polish families (although single parent families are less common than in the UK), but maybe young people in Poland go to stay with extended family because families are more close knit?

Refuse containers are quite warm - the man chose well. Therefore he was obviously not as dumb as the drunken men who freeze to death where they fall wintertime.