Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Storks begin migration to Africa

http://www.polskieradio.pl/zagranica/gb/dokument.aspx?iid=57492

Storks have begun their migration to Africa .According to old folk
sayings in Poland if the birds take off before August 24th then Poland
can get ready for a long, frosty winter. Polish ornithologists have
observed the first migrations already in mid August. In over two
months the stork cover some 10 thousand kilometers to reach central
Africa in mid November. There the birds feed on locust and get ready
for a return journey . They start arriving in Poland in March. Poland
is the home country of the white stork, the latest counting of the
birds, conducted in 2004, proved that over 50 thousand stork couples
build their nests in Poland which is over one fourth of the world
stork population.

Re: Storks begin migration to Africa

I miss the storks :-)

I saw thosands but was amazed every time I saw them in Poland.

I wonder why they like Poland so much. Perhaps it is the wide horizons and flat land.

Less pesticides used as a lot of land in Poland is not used. This means more food. Insects, frogs.

No - the thing is that storks don't like flying over large expanses of open water. Hence, when coming north from Africa they face a choice of either Istanbul or Gibraltar, although a few hardy fellows try their luck with Sicily.
On arrival in Europe they spread out in a big plume. That's why you see them most in (south)western and (south) eastern Europe, but not in central or extreme western Europe (such as NW France, Benelux of the UK).

Also, storks DON'T eat frogs ...

"Also, storks DON'T eat frogs ... "

That's not what I've read Varsovian. Apparently they eat frogs, lizards, mice, insects and even small snakes.

Varsovian I've done a little research and think the clue is more to do with what Angela said about a lack of intensive farming in Poland. Poland also has a lot of land that the stork likes - wetland meadows, particularly to the east. In Poland they think it is very lucky to have a stork nesting on your house. They pair for life and come back to the same nest each year. I do hope Poland doesn't take up mass intensive farming. There are some facts and a map of where the stork likes to breed in the link below :

stork map

Your map makes my point very well - you see the plume rising from SE Europe. Poland always had more storks than Germany, for instance - even before pesticides etc were widely used.
And they don't normally eat frogs according to the WWF ornithologist who showed me round the Biebrza marshes.

http://storks.poland.pl/about_stork/article,White_Stork_migration_routes,id,234996.htm

This map shows it all much better - you can see that most white storks take the direct route along the east side of Africa and get to the desired latitude, i.e. Poland. You can see the desire for this latitude among western storks (who have to fly further) by their (surprising?) desire to get to Alsace (NE France), ignoring most of France.

Poland is simply at the right latitude and we should enjoy their presence and maintain their habitats instead of making loosely nationalistic points about how storks have not abandoned their historic migratory destinations or opted to take budget airlines somewhere else.

lol ok....but maybe it also depends on the fact that they always go back to their previous nest which is a bit of a love nest as they pair up for life. Kind of romantic really ....

They keep returning, good job they can't read, they don't know about the governmental mess

our local pair had twins this year

(and at least 10 came to play Follow The Tractor when Mr FarmerNeighbour mowed the hayfield)

Seven storks circled round my in-laws' farm at the exact moment we arrived on holiday, the year before our first child greeted the world.