Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countdown to Schengen membership on 1 January 2008

will this make a huge difference to current arrangements? :

http://www.polskieradio.pl/zagranica/gb/dokument.aspx?iid=57573

A report by the National Auditing Chamber has given good marks to
government administration for progress in preparations to Poland's
entry into the Schengen zone. The report, presented today, gives a
generally positive assessment to efforts, in spite of some delays and
failures. Among others, the report pinpoints delays in adapting to
computerised data and information systems, and the visa registration
system. Some of the delay has been caused by prolonged discussion in
the European Commissions on regulations controlling the operation of
the data systems. Poland is to join the Schengen zone on 1st January
2008. As of January, border checks between Poland and Lithuania, the
Czech Republic, Slovakia and Germany will be discontinued and checks
at airports will be lifted in March

Re: Countdown to Schengen membership on 1 January 2008

Does this mean we will be able to carry drinks on board planes though?
No, I thought not.
I'd prefer to show my passport and not pour my mineral water away - real freedom.

One of the problems was (and is) that illegals can just walk across Poland's eastern border and then once in Poland do the same across into Western Europe. That's why the order controls have been in place for so long.

An African, Indian, Asian immigrant has his sights set on Germany, Netherlands and the UK, not Poland. Poland is just the route in to the west.

after watching the passport-checking-person force my 9 y/old daughter to show her left ear the last time we travelled ... i suspect old habits will die hard.

The eastern border here is quite tight, they've deployed a lot of immigration staff there, and it isn't at all easy for non-EU citizens to get in. Schengen will make it even harder for Ukrainians, Belarussians etc to come to Poland.

One group of people who will potentially lose out are ethnic Poles from the former Soviet Union, who don't necessarily have Polish citizenship. They aren't hassled when they're actually in Poland, but it will be harder for them to get here in the first place.

http://www.notifbutwhen.com/2/Vincent.jpg

"The eastern border here is quite tight, they've deployed a lot of immigration staff there, and it isn't at all easy for non-EU citizens to get in. Schengen will make it even harder for Ukrainians, Belarussians etc to come to Poland."

I second that. When I was in bieszczady in 2005 the border controls there were very tight. They had this huge state of the art border control station built using EU funds to monitor the border between Ukraine, Poland and Slovakia. There were border police all over the place despite it being a very remote area. One saw us walking down the road speaking English and asked for our passports and twenty questions about where we were staying etc. They were very edgy about any potential foreigners. There are Ukrainian border police all over the other side too stopping any tourists who might want to wander over into Ukraine without a visa.

The Germans are always catching illegals trying to cross from Poland to Germany. They must get into Poland somehow ...................

where there's a will there's a way Angela.

"The Germans are always catching illegals trying to cross from Poland to Germany."

Can you back that up with any empirical evidence?

Last I remember some Africans were caught trying to swim across the River Oder. It was discussed here.

Maybe they came to Poland as bogus students. Previously by far the most illegal immigrants used to come to Germany via Austria and Italy. In fact I thought Italy was the worst for letting illegals in and then leaving the problem to other EU neighbours as they don't stay in Italy. Any country on the edge of the EU is vulnerable because these people are desparate and will try anything including being sealed inside lorries and under trains.

Poland's eastern border has been insecure until very recently. It always failed Schengen's tests. Only a month ago did it finally pass the requirements in terms of security to be allowed an open border to the west.

Poland is seen as an stepping stone for third world migration to Europe. Ask anyone who owns a language school or sports club in Poland about the number of applications and requests to come to Poland to play, they get from the dark and yellow continents.

A common ploy is to somehow get to Poland (on a student or business visa, or on a 'sporting tour') and get a Polka or several Polish women pregnant. They are usually then able to stay on. Later the aim is to move west.

Those that fail in this mission do as Angela said swim across the border or similar.

"after watching the passport-checking-person force my 9 y/old daughter to show her left ear the last time we travelled ... i suspect old habits will die hard. "

An English friend told me that the same happens to him whenever he goes across the border. If you have a Polish or German id or passport they barely look at them.

said child is Polish and was travelling with a polish passport.
lady looked like lemon had unexpectedly stuck in her tonsils.
always a contrast to heathrow where they're chatty and friendly (in their quest to separate goodies from baddies)

"Poland is seen as an stepping stone for third world migration to Europe. Ask anyone who owns a language school or sports club in Poland about the number of applications and requests to come to Poland to play, they get from the dark and yellow continents."

Surely that can happen anywhere in Europe? What's to stop non EU citizens saying they are going on holiday to any country in the EU if they have a visa and then absconding? Is it hard to get a tourist visa to Germany?

No, Poland is the easier EU option. I guess they're just more desperate for the money that these illegals bring in!

Ukraine and Belerus are even easier to access. Thousands of Indians and others waiting there now for a chance to come west.

"Thousands of Indians and others waiting there now for a chance to come west. "

Lol Hans you and your over-dramatising! You make it sound as if they are all in an orderly queue on the Polish border

It's very true that Ukraine and Belarus have 1000s of Asian immigrants. They are there both legally and illegally. Most would probably prefer to be in Poland or better western Europe.