Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Married Catholic priests

There are some in England - married priests who translated from the Church of England to the Church of Rome stayed married.
When I wake up in the morning and feel horny, do I think about God? No, for reasons of sanity I start pestering my wife with various results depending ...
If I lived on my own, I suppose I might just grasp hold of my prayer book.
Oh come on you dorks in the ecclesiastical hierarchy! For a millenium Catholic priests had wives, Orthodox priests have wives iii it's time for the Roman church to stop encouraging masturbation and paedophilia.

Re: Married Catholic priests

What's wrong with mastubation? Doesn't everyone do this - married or not.

Agree with the marriage point though.

When does this rule stem from?

"it's time for the Roman church to stop encouraging masturbation and paedophilia"

I'm quite sure they discourage both.

The married priests in UK and certain other countries have been a roaring success. If you mention that they exist, people in Poland either disbelieve or disagree. The only married RC priests here are Uniates. (Grecko-Katolicki). Mariavites can marry, but they're hardly RC.

The reasons for unmarried priests were (albeit justified by theological hoop-jumping) political and economic.

Nearly every religion has a priestly or monastic order which insists on celibacy - there are benefits to this, and those who have consecrated their sexuality to God are only to be respected. Although it would hardly shake the Church to its foundations priests were given the freedom to take wives (or husbands).

Though there is the old story (Anglican, I think) of two London priests talking during the war. The air raid siren started, and the married one said that he must get back to his wife and family, and the celibate one said he must get back to his parishoners.

I am all for priests marrying. I think it would make them more approachable and help them relate to real life issues.

I guess the church has to take into account the fact that it would have to support their families if they allowed this. Could be quite a large cost for them, particularly with their view on contraception!

"it's time for the Roman church to stop encouraging masturbation and paedophilia"

I'm quite sure they discourage both.

Errm - I like gardening. Weeds don't do well if you sow other seeds. Men and bad habits go hand-in-hand. The RC church makes work for idle hands.

Sorry to sound cynical, but I believe the tradition of forbidding marriage has more to do with property and inheritance than any spiritual matter.

That was indeed part of the reasoning behind imposing celibacy. That and lobbying by the increasingly powerful monastic orders. Outdated now and far more opportunities for moral failure in a modern urban society.