Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Statistics and lies

According to the Economist:

Top 20 countries for quality of life
(so why does everyone want to go to Spain??)

1. Norway

2. Iceland

3. Australia

4. Ireland

5. Sweden

6. Canada

7. Japan

8. USA

9.= Finland, Netherlands, Switzerland

12. Belgium, Luxembourg

14. Austria

15. Denmark

16. France

17.= Italy, United Kingdom

19. Spain

20. New Zealand

Related article
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/05/nindex105.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

Re: Statistics and lies

Where's Germany on this list?

Actually you can have a good life anywhere as long as you have enough money.

I've never noticed much difference between Ireland and the UK except that it has always rained when I've visited Ireland.

Iceland no 2

Rocks, snow, ice, fish, alcoholics

"so why does everyone want to go to Spain"

Because its warmer and more interesting that Norway, cheaper that Icelabd, nearer than Australia, and more exotic and drier than Ireland.

Doesn't explain the (rather dramatic) influx of Brits to Bulgaria though.

More people should come to Poland.

Errm - don't you mean China??

More people should come to Poland.

They would, but all they hear is jokes about the leadership and stories of corruption.

English friends don't belive me when I show them pictures of Poland. it is a great shame. But the polish government and most Poles don't want non poles buying property, so slowly a great country goes down the toilet.

" But the polish government and most Poles don't want non poles buying property, so slowly a great country goes down the toilet. "

It's not a good thing for foreigners to invest in Polish property. Just sends prices rocketing and means locals can't buy. Same thing happened in the Calais area with commuting Brits sending locals into a right strop.

Maybe. But most locals can't afford to buy now. 300,000 minimum for a house. Average salary for a teacher or doctor 1500 per month. One reason why many are in the UK and Ireland.

"300,000 minimum for a house"

And that's in the provinces. Round Warsaw, there's not much short of a million zlotych.

But on the other hand, certain banks (Kredyt Bank chief among them) give people absolutely huge mortgages.

"300,000 minimum for a house"

And that's in the provinces. Round Warsaw, there's not much short of a million zlotych.

It seems Poles are well advised to sell up and go and live in Oz, for that money you could get a beautiful home, perfect weather, etc. Where was Poland on that list again. mmmmmm

Off target with Australian house prices too, I see.

Off target with Australian house prices too, I see.

No I don't see!..please explain