Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is the population of Poland too big?

Should population be controlled? Should future govts continue the success of the Twins in encouraging emigration?
Should encouragements be offered to keep Poland a green and pleasant land?

Re: Is the population of Poland too big?

Stronger planning regulations and a crackdown on planning office corruption would help to stop beautiful Polish villages from turning into rambling souless suburbs. They have lovely countryside here - it would be a shame to spoil it further.

This I would agree with. There are some shockingly ugly big detached houses being put up all over the place in the west of Poland.

Is their no taste element in planning applications?

Do they have planning regulations in Poland?

Very strict regulations, although bribery of officials is common, and many (some would say most) people start building and wait for the inspector to turn up, then bribe them, rather than submitting an application first.

I built without bribery - I think bribery is more common in the UK in building matters, and only big companies can do things. In Poland little people can build - in the UK normal people simply can't. I remember the problems and expense I had when I wanted to build a drive. Absurd.

I agree with that. I could never build in the Uk, in Poland no problem.

I think that as more Poles leave more asians and russians will move in. There is always someone willing to do the 'unpopular' work.

we had minimum pitch restrictions for the roof (should anyone plan to go for a flat one, back to the drawing board for you )

Varsovian - did you tile your garage floor?

Yes - it really is a good thing to do because you can never really clean concrete floors properly.

Getting back to planning regulations for a moment, I think what Jon said is absolutely scandalous. Planning permission is quite a straightforward procedure, although it could be slightly less time-consuming. The govt was just about to introduce new planning legislation to make it easier still, but then the elections were called.
You go to your local authority and they give you a list of things to do and papers to get. You do them, then you get the go-ahead pretty quickly.
A transparent system and no bull about bribery - that's nonsense put about by cave ... sorry ... flat-dwellers.

I've never heard that you can bribe planning inspectors in the UK, they all seem to have personality bypasses....also you would have to bribe the whole planning committee wouldn't you?

Remember that some of us flat dwellers also have also built houses. Though flats have their own virtues.

A 'gift' to the planning guy in the relevant Polish town hall ensures that your application is given priority. The process can be incredibly long winded otherwise.

Land is reclassified all the time from agricultural to building. Do you really think this happens without paying someone a bribe .

Just recently the agricultural minister was (almost) caught taken million dollar bribes for just this.

Amazingly, bribery to get planning permission for a house doesn't happen around here. You simply follow procedures.
In the UK, big developers simply buy planning committees - not everywhere, but it happens regularly. Try buying Private Eye if you don't believe me.