Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anti-Poles

Michnik and Geremek tell Vaclac Havel to call for independent observers for Polish elections; Kwaśniewski calls for Germany to be tougher on Poland.

Why do they hate Poland so much that they want to damage her internationally? What precisely is it about them that makes them anti-Polish?

Re: Anti-Poles

They are among the most respected figures in Poland. Perhaps it's because they care.....

Oh dear.

This is an independent survey about how much the people in the list have harmed or helped Poland, according to the respondents asked.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Perhaps bartoszewski should stand for prime minister....

Was this a survey conducted among Poles? (it says it's a telephone survey but I can't see where).

Yes, at least it was conducted in Polish & in Poland; the results came out last week. I think that a few of those names wouldn't be widely known outside Poland.

Interesting that they see anti semitism as damaging to Poland. This shows attitudes have changed since communism fell.

I think a generation is growing up without all the baggage of the past, who don't remember the days of pogroms and the anti-Zionist purge of 68, and who have a very different experience of Jewish people, from films like Schindler's List & The Pianist.

68 was all about the "Jewish" faction in the communist party losing in a power struggle, wasn't it?

The good thing about that was that it gave rise to a communist intellectual opposition led by Michnik and Kuron which was tolerated by the authorities to a certain extent. KOR and all that.

I'm not good on this period of history because no-one is allowed to talk much about it. It's a big no-no among Polish journalists.

So, did anyone find anything on Kwasniewski's father? Was he an NKWD murderer? I'm sure I could find loads of the family background of other political leaders in the world, but Kwasniewski seems to want to keep his utterly secret. Now why is that?

What difference does it make what your father did? Not in the least relevant to the son.

“What difference does it make what your father did? Not in the least relevant to the son.”

Perhaps not; on the other hand the advancement of individuals, both further and faster than normal, can be attributed to patronage. (pater)

In the absence of background information one is wont to speculate as to how someone could possibly be promoted so consistently despite not completing prior assignments; not finishing university getting sent to study in Moscow yet at the same time getting ostensibly non-controversial assignments with the sports ministry and Olympic committee.

He might not share his father’s politics. It is possible that his father did not exert any effort in promoting his son. However, oe can wonder as to who, in party circles and knowing his connection, would endeavor to not advance Aleksander.

Hmmm ...

Mysterious meteoric rise through Party ranks in a system where nepotism is rife.

Nope, you got me there. Kwasniewski pere has nothing to do with Kwasniewski fils whatsoever.