Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Positive things the Kaczynskis have done in govt.

Let's try to be positive for once.

They abolished inheritance tax.

For this alone they would be praised for decades in the UK, as Thatcher was with selling off public housing cheaply.

They have sold off masses of public housing units for a few zloty - very good news.

They reduced ZUS slightly.

Errr - that's all I can think of, but it's a damn sight more than Bliar/Brown have done in the UK. And it comes on top of them retaining 19% tax for the "self-employed" (brought in by the Commies).

Re: Positive things the Kaczynskis have done in govt.

You pay 19% tax only if you earn less than 3085 zloties (820 euros) per month!

On top of this there's a huge ZUS payment to make ...

Most people I know pay 30% or even 40% income tax

and an enormous number of Poles dealing only or mostly in cash payments pay virtually no tax at all. Builders of all varieties, secondhand car importers, people working illegally in Germany ....

It's almost impossible to get a receipt from any builder or labourer in my area.

i would suggest you all move to Canada.

Canadian Federal Tax
* 15.5% on the first $37,178 of taxable income, +
* 22% on the next $37,179 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $37,178 and $74,357), +
* 26% on the next $46,530 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $74,357 and $120,887), +
* 29% of taxable income over $120,887.

British Columbia Provincial Tax
5.7% on the first $34,397 of taxable income, +
8.65% on the next $34,397, +
11.1% on the next $10,190, +
13% on the next $16,925, +
14.7% on the amount over $95,909

Next door in Germany the self-employed pay only 15% on earnings of up 52,152 euro - or around 200,000 PLN - per year.

Wasn't the selling off of flats in tower blocks designed to buy votes?

Like I said, Simon, it's 19% tax for the "self-employed", with minimal ZUS payments. That's nice for those who, like me, can be self-employed. That was brought in by Leszek Miller, but not removed by PiS.

Abolition of death duty - if only the UK could do this ...

Regular income tax for employees is outrageously high, and should be slashed.

Come on you moaning minnies, I was wanting something positive about what PiS has done. Or has Comrade Michnik taught you what to say?

"Wasn't the selling off of flats in tower blocks designed to buy votes?"

Yes, it helped to keep Mrs Thatcher in power for a decade.

They helped people with no chance of anything in life become ministers.

They gave the whole of Europe someone to laugh at.

What is this minimal ZUS payment you speak of? My girlfriend says the minimum a self employed person must pay in Poland is about 800 zl every month. This is a large percentage of income to most Poles. Much, much higher than a self employed person pays in the UK.

P.s. her father is self employed and runs a small computer business. He is fefinitely not rich and pays 30% tax - not 19.

19% was all we ever paid. If the company owner is not Polish it jumps to 40%. that is why we only put the company in my parters name.
Maybe that has changed now.
19% plus the massive Zus payments.

“They abolished inheritance tax.”

They? This was first proposed by Prime Minister Leszek Miller, actually iy was part of Hausner’s plan. They simply took up a bill filed before they formed the government.

“They have sold off masses of public housing units for a few zloty - very good news.”

Again, part of Jerzy Hausner’s economic package in the old government. In fact, PiS halted privatization and cherry-picked Hausner’s proposals.

“They reduced ZUS slightly.”

Yes, and they increased pensions. Revenue negative result for the state budget. EU piggy bank and robust economy are keeping them afloat, nothing more, as well as incentives for direct investments passed by the SLD and signed by Kwasniewski.

Bottom line – Kaczory have done NOTHING, other than waste EU resources, antagonize Poland’s neighbors, and empowering fringe nationalists who came up with policies that will leave a negative impact on Poland’s public life for years to come.

Personally, I can't stand the Twins!

I think they have wasted valuable time in common with all other post-Communist govts.
Tax is an enormous issue that they have scarcely touched, but at least they have not derailed advances in CIT as they could have. PIT in regular employment remains scandalously high. ZUS is a joke of an institution, but they weren't to blame for that.
Public healthcare is a disaster - they've ignored it.
Foreign policy - disaster.
Public procurement reform - what reform?

EU money isn't being entirely wasted - I can see roads and sewers being built before my very eyes, and not to the usual low Polish public works standards.
Na wsi, one-off grants are being used to bring milking stalls, for instance, up to scratch. Farmers are investing in machinery - you don't have to run around at harvest time trying to hire a combine and operator as you did in the bad old days.

The point I was getting at, and this is something I keep banging on about, is that Polish public life is suffering from a prolonged bout of the hissy-fits, stoked up by a bunch of wasters like Rydzyk, gutless Polish bishops, Platforma, Commie-era-criminals-made-rich and Michnik-lovers.

I would simply like to have a touch of decency about political debate, you know, talking about what has and has not been done. Instead, we get girly screams which are as silly as the various stupidities coming from the mouths of the Kaczynski brothers.