Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Former President Kwasniewski drunk in Ukraine

Our Former President Kwasniewski disgraced himself in the Ukraine, is he another Boris Yelsin?

What a disgrace! another communist thug hits the dust!

At least our current leaders have some respect and dignity.

please watch....hmmm what a joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1YtMxdEtzk

Re: Former President Kwasniewski drunk in Ukraine

(I liked the girls in the audience)

Fakty That is the program that always has stories about villagers with depressing music.

Offbeat, Is Fakty where you get your news?

another communist..... Oh no! not back on the radio Maryja story please. He was a communist a very long time ago, at a time when to get on there was little choice.

He was drunk, the audience loved it I thought it was funny too.
I still like theguy, he did more for Poland than anyone over the past few years.

President Kwasnieswski lectures in Georgetown U, Ivy-League American University.

Do you think Kaczynskis will be asked to ‘lecture” at any respectable institution when they slip into irrelevancy and obscurity?

Kwasniweski is a true statesman, despite what Radio Mawryja would like you to believe offbeat

Kwasniweski is a true statesman, despite what Radio Mawryja would like you to believe offbeat

Mike C, you seem easy to please, a true statesman, hmmm yeah if you say so! pass me another vodka!!

Is it better to have an intelligent president who might drink a bit or one who has never had his own bank account and has always lived with his mother and a cat?

Is it better to have an intelligent president who might drink a bit or one who has never had his own bank account and has always lived with his mother and a cat?

hmm I never thought about it that way! Mr Hans what have you got against cats and people who live with there parents? most poles have no option due to the economic circumstances and cats are very nice animals!
Lets call a spade a spade, what the good former President did was a disgrace and a big question mark hangs over his head, for people to call him a statesman shows how narrow minded people can be! :-)

Hans is probably talking about the Iranian President!

By the way, wasn't that dziad of a dean rude in his introduction of that Iranian, whatever his name is ... I'm-a-dinner-jacket or something.

He's referring to the Polish Prime Minister.

"Ever since Lech and Jaroslaw Kaczynski won elections in 2005, Poland's political scene has become so loony that some humorists are hailing it a golden age of political entertainment.

"Life just surpasses my capabilities as a satirist -- very many of the things that have happened in Poland in recent years could not have been thought up by the best satirists," said cartoonist Szczepan Sadurski.

Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski last year brought two unpredictable populist parties into the coalition in an effort to shore up his government -- an uncomfortable alliance that was an endless source of political farce until it collapsed this week.

Parliament at one point held a special Mass to pray for rain during a drought. A ruling party official called for investigating the children's TV show "Teletubbies" because the character Tinky Winky appeared to be gay. And two eccentric Cabinet ministers showed up at a news conference with stuffed toy foxes.

Jaroslaw Kaczynski drew ridicule in May for revealing that he has no bank account and instead deposits his money in mother's account. The prime minister, whose Law and Justice party won 2005 elections on pledges to fight corruption, said he was afraid someone might deposit money into his account without his knowledge and frame him for corruption.

Predictably, the Kaczynksis, 58, are the butt of jokes just for being twins. One popular Internet game shows pictures of a Kaczynski brother and asks people to guess if it's Lech or Jaroslaw.

Poles also poke fun at their diminutive stature. Why do the Kaczynski twins ride in cars with tinted windows? So you can't see the children's booster seats they sit on. Why did the president and prime minister meet last week at a tennis court? To play volleyball.

On Monday, the round-faced, gray-haired brothers stood side-by-side at Warsaw's Belvedere palace to announce that they were dismissing all four Cabinet ministers belonging to the right-wing League of Polish Families and the agrarian Self-Defense party.

Some say the Kaczynskis and their allies have nourished a culture of political humor more vibrant than any era since the dysfunctional days of communism, when satire flourished as an outlet for public frustration.

In May, Ewa Sowinska, the ombudsman for children's rights and member of the League of Polish Families, announced she would ask psychologists to look into whether the "Teletubbies" might have "hidden homosexual undertones" because the character Tinky Winky appears to be male yet carries a red handbag.

A similar controversy erupted in the United States in 1999 when a publication belonging to the evangelical leader, the late Rev. Jerry Falwell, suggested that Tinky Winky was gay.

Gay rights activists condemned Sowinska's remark, and she quickly dropped the plan.

But humorists pounced. A joke circulated on the Internet juxtaposing Tinky Winky -- a little purple figure crowned by a TV antenna -- with a "Polish version:" a purple figure in a priest's collar, with a cross on its head and a censor in hand."

Or

"Lepper lashed out by saying, "The PM should not comment on sex, because he has never experienced the feeling of being in a stable relationship with a woman."

The Prime Minister, a 57 year old bachelor who lives with cats and whose mother handles his bank account. "

Lay off!
Some of my best friends are homophobic gays, I'll have you know.

In many remote Polish villages and small towns, there are many who cannot afford the 20zl monthly maintainance fee for a bank account. When they hear Kaczynski say “I don’t have a bank account’ they think ‘finally, an honest man who doesn’t steal’.

I don’t believe for an instance Kaczynski doesn’t have a bank account. It’s all spin designed to get those votes.

Current accounts should be free - banks have other ways to fleece you.
20zl is a bottle of vodka - better you have that vodka than the bank.
Also, the remote is nearer than you think. And when I hear people in England say that they're poor ...