Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Generator

One for any techies out there.

We suffered quite a few power failures last winter in our village (one for over three days), and as it was not a particularly bad winter, I expect this year we will get more. I am therefore looking to get a generator as back up and whilst I have a reasonable understanding of the size we require (big!), I am a bit thrown by the supply to our farm which is 3 phase. My question is whether I will require a 3 phase generator (if there is such a thing) or would a standard one do? I would want this wired into the house supply so will have to employ an electrician but if anyone has any experience of this, I would appreciate any help. I have tried searching the web but without much success.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Generator

My grandfather had a Lister CS Slow speed diesel generator powering his farmhouse. Never had a single problem with it and it ran for years and years and years. This would be just the thing. Plenty available in England at very reasonable prices.

Here's a link to a page about just such a generator:

Lister CS Generator

I've got a small Lister engine running a water pump, so drop me a line, via Magdalena, if you want further info.

Thanks Simon, I will have a look at this and will contact you if I need more info.

On another point are you still involved with the 4x4 club or was this another Simon.

Same Simon .

Yes, I currently drive a Discovery and a 110 Defender ...

Where are you based?

Live in a small village. The nearest large town is Boleslawiec, Dolnoslakie, which is about 13 miles west of us.

I have a Hilux Double cab truck.

So not very far from me. You should come up for one of our monthly get-togethers. First Saturday (or Sunday) of every month. Or maybe invite us down to you for some greenlanes and a barbie bonfire?

There's a good looking Lister diesel generator on ebay right now:-

cgi.ebay.co.uk/LISTER-HOUSE-GENERATOR_W0QQitemZ250170676426QQihZ015QQcategoryZ46412QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not a CS, but would still do the job.

Sounds good to me. I assume we join here?

http://www.4x4poland.com/join_offroad_club_poland.htm

We can't make next saturday (although sunday is free), so will likely get up at the November meet if that's OK.

Use the Land Rover Owners Club website. That one is updated much more often and there are details of the meetings somewhere there. Same club. Doesn't matter what 4x4 you drive.

Thanks Will do.

Hopefully meet soon.

Yep.

I should say that we don't do anything very extreme; just in case, that's what you were interested in. Just greenlanes, some mud, and the like.

Have a look at the Gallery page for an idea of the cars and people who come along.

Here are some photos taken over one weekend this summer:

4x4 Meeting

We see it as an opportunity to get out and about and meet people more than anything else really. If it was anything extreme we wouldn't be interested as I can't afford any damage, and the car is not modified to do that anyway.

Cheers

Great.

Let me know if you want any help with the generator thing.

The Land Rover Club meet pictures look great