Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TV-fuelled controversy tonight

The UK Channel 4 is showing a documentary on the pros/cons of immigration (Dispatches, 8pm). Interestingly, it will concentrate on the various ethnic groups.
Already there has been a chorus of condemnation from the usual red-fascist sources and wishy-washy bedfellows.

Re: TV-fuelled controversy tonight

... and I understand it will talk about Poles too.

How do you see Channel 4 in Poland?

Sky Tv digibox plus a 90cm dish in Warsaw
You can't get BBC unfortunately without a 2m ground-placed dish - and my garden wouldn't look nice with that cluttering up the place. BBC channel islands just comes into range around 18:00 so I'm only just outside the range. Used to get it until Poland joined the EU ...
You can also see C4 on the net - visit their website.
Oh, I get C5 as well. Helps to keep me sane and the kids tuned into Englishness.

Anyway, the documentary (fronted by respected newsreader Jon Snow, a Warsaw correspondent in martial law times) came up with various findings.

Indians are ambitious, wealthy and contribute a lot.
(Non-middle class) Pakistanis are the opposite of the Indians.
Somalis take most in benefits and do the least work.
Americans are the 8th biggest immigrant group and have the highest earnings. (South Africans/Australians/Canadians/New Zealanders all similar).
Poles work the longest hours for the lowest wages, but are the group improving itself at the fastest rate - good prospects for future wealth.