Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nuclear power in Poland

My prediction:
The mighty N is coming our way, like it or not. And democracy or no, you won't have a choice.
Seeing as it's a perfectly safe form of generating power, I suggest placing it in Warsaw, next to the river.

Re: Nuclear power in Poland

Suddenly the receptionists won't be so pretty....

There was a huge green movement in Poland in the 90s and I assume that's bigger now. There would be a lot of opposition to nuclear power on the doorstep, especially as some people insist they are still suffering the effects of chernobyl.

I've been told that the increase in the number of miscarriages is blamed on this and I know that in Lublin a huge amount of leukaemia came about in the 80s and was directly attributed to the radioactive cloud that passed that way. Two of my uncles died of cancer within 6 to 8 years of the accident. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

The one they started building in Kaszuby was abandoned and they built a hydro electric plant instead.

What was planned and abandoned

What they built

http://ewz.home.pl/

Green Poland, If it classes as green, nice place to visit.

The truth is that nuclear energy is the cleanest, safest, and most environment friendly way to produce energy. It is the only way Poland will be able to become independent of Russian gas deliveries.

Unfortunately, there is too much misinformation on this subject floating around. Poland's coal-powered generators will have disastrous long term ecological consequences.

Poland can tap into EU funding for nuclear plant construction.

Are they exploring more eco friendly methods such as wind farms in Poland? I'd have thought the baltic coast had some potential. Obviously ventures such as this and hydro electrics it can only produce a portion of needs but surely they are a more self sufficient method.....

Doesn't hoover dam produce much of the electricity for california?

Hoover Dam produces twice the electricity of Dungeness B in Britain. (2,000 vs. 1,000 MW) Right now (2007-10-21) Hoover is producing electricity equal to approximately 8% of California’s mid-day demand. Approximately 55% of Hoover’s power goes to California so reckon that today’s output is covering 4% of California’s needs.

Nuclear energy is indeed clean and safe, but the waste it produces stays radioactive for a long time. And if there is an accident, Windscale, Chernobyl, Five Mile Island, the consequences are huge.

The EU has targets for achieving power supply from sustainable sources - wouldn't it be great if Poland was at the forefront of this? Geothermal energy and wind power are worth looking into.

You'll see wind power in Poland shortly.
The radioactive material produced by the nuclear industry will be highly radioactive long after our civilisation has come to an end. I mean, we've been going 8000 years and we're banking on lasting another million!!
Never mind, we'll all be long dead (and forgotten) by then and who gives a monkey's about future generations anyway?

If you drive towards Berlin from our place you'll notice hundreds of wind generating wotsits from the moment you cross the border into Germany. Nothing this side.

"Hoover Dam produces twice the electricity of Dungeness B in Britain. (2,000 vs. 1,000 MW) Right now (2007-10-21) Hoover is producing electricity equal to approximately 8% of California’s mid-day demand. Approximately 55% of Hoover’s power goes to California so reckon that today’s output is covering 4% of California’s needs. "

they make it sound like more than that when you go on the hoover dam tour....or is that because california uses so much?

So tell me Ania, did you feed the carp in Lake Mead?

Um..there is sustainable life in there?

I posed for some photos there if you must know.....

There are loads of carp down where you get on board the boat for what must be one of the world's most boring trips. I hand-fed them popcorn - highlight of the day!
De-dum, must stop reminiscing - that was way back in 1980 just after my uncle Władek died ...

I was there in March so maybe the carp were hibernating....(either that or had died from popcorn overdose!)