Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
English language television in Poland

English language television in Poland

This is probably of interest only to expat types resident in Poland.

BBC Prime is to disappear in December and be replaced by something called BBC Entertainment. No big deal you may think. However, rumour has it that, BBC Entertainment will be broadcast only in an idiotic Polish lector version!

The Polsat sat package is to include four new BBC channels (cbeebies, entertainment, knowledge, lifestyle) - ALL to be lectored into Polish!

The Cyfra Plus sat package reportedly won't be offering the new channel, so shortly they'll be no more BBC for subscribers to their service.

I realise we've had this topic before, but, I'd appreciate an update on what English language programming other English-speaking residents get to see and how they get them.

Re: English language television in Poland

Dear God!! When will they stop these awful lektors? Worth remembering that they can broadcast with the facility to turn them off, but just don't bother to enable that option.

It would be very, very small minded indeed to insist that the Polish channels available on UK cable are broadcast with an English language lektor reading out a censored version of the text in a monotone.

And, in Warsaw at any rate, you need a very large satellite dish to get UK television. I think it's easier in west Poland.

A lot of English language TV shows were available on the web at a site called TV Links, but its proprietor has just been arrested and the site closed down. www.wwitv.com has a few English stations but whenever it gets a major terrestrial one the encryption is changed due to copyright. People tell me it's possible to subscribe to a German or Swedish satellite service and get a few English stations.

Yep, that lektor overdub makes me feel like chucking up whenever I hear it!

I looked into the Sky with big dish set-up, after Dajwid very kindly sent me an old digibox, a year or so ago. The places I approached all said "no, can't be done" ... and I kind of gave up.

But, following this latest rumour/news, I will have to research the whole thing again. The problem is that as a humble flat dweller a big dish is out of the question.

The Polish subtitles on BBC Prime are paid for by the British government. Perhaps if enough of us hassle the embassy something will happen...

have a look at this!! Might just try the 7 day free trial!

http://www.liveuktv.com/

Thanks, Jon. That's a great link.

It'd be nice to watch it through my normal TV though.

Sky TV

Get a regular basic subscription for GBP20 per month via a UK address. Big extra charge if you declare that you live in Poland.

I don't get BBC any more - you can still get it in western Poland - but Channel 4 and 5 plus a package of other channels make life passably English. A must if you have kids to bring up. A 90cm wall-mounted dish is what I have at present. To get BBC and ITV you need a 2m ground-mounted affair, which I will get in my next garden (didn't want to advertise the place to burglars, did I?).

For the Yanks out there, you can subscribe to the American Football channel and get misinformed with Fox News!

I guess it'd look weird having two Sky subscriptions for the same UK address? All addresses I could use already have Sky.

Couldn't get the online TV site to play through my Windows media player.

You don't know anyone who doesn't have Sky? How sad!
I don't suppose 2 subs for one place would look too strange - many houses have multiple occupants nowadays.

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp

Need to install this to make it work with media player :-)

Some possibly good news!

I called Polsat and it seems that from next month they will be broadcasting four new English language Channels from the BBC. All will be available in both lektor and original version. And according to the call centre guy all of the channels they lektor are also available in the original version at the touch of a button. Which would mean at least 10 English language tv channels!

Maybe somebody else would like to give them a call to double check? It seems almost too good to be true. Certainly a whole lot better than the deal offered by Cyfra Plus.

Polsat - tel 0 801 080706

The new BBC stations for Poland:

BBC Entertainment

BBC Knowledge

BBC Lifestyle

BBC cBeebies

Is Polsat still owned by that convicted smuggler ... err what's his name - the bloke with 20 odd passports ... errr Solorz is the name he's going by these days, isn't it?

We're also going to get Polsat now they have 4 BBC channels. Also much cheaper than Cyfra+.

Five including the news channel, BBC World .

Please double check it first before signing up.

I don't know who owns the company, but, it certainly is a better deal than Cyfra Plus offer.

I feel I really should be convincing you all to switch to n

What's n?

N is a HDTV provider owned by the ITI group from Luxembourg or some such place. They also own TVN, onet, Pascal, Multi-Kino and Warsaw Legia football club.

Their tv package seems to be of interest only to Polish-only viewers.

...and people who appreciate high-technology equipment, Si.