Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Michael Palin in Europe

The boats being pulled over the hill at Elblag is an amazing site & a great day out. After tue war, they let the German guy who built it stay as manager because it's unique & only he could repair it if something went wrong. He even got some sort of award. It was only commercially used for about 5 years but has kept going for 80 years through tourism. Very worth seeing.

The steam railway at Wolsztyn is under threat & a lot of people here are embarassed it still exists, but the tourism income from Europe's trainspotters is enough to keep it going for the forseeable. There are a few other ones but they're municipal ones or run by hobbyists.

There's so much here that nobody hears of.

I thought the steam railway was great. I do hope they keep it.

My wife's family are from Wolsztyn.

Was it on the Palin thing? Might have to try and find a torrent. What was the actual name of the programme?

http://bitt.tv/torrents-search.php?search=palin&cat=0&cat=0&incldead=0

It's a private tracker, so you have to register. I'm going to download tonight and I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "torrent"?

a torrent is a computer term to describe a way of downloading files. Whilst the method itself is perfectly legal, the content usually isnt ;)

Next generation file sharing system.

Like a grown up Napster.

But different.

I watched the programme and enjoyed it, on the whole.

Some things I learned from watching:

1) Monika Richardson's English is very impressive.
2) Kevin Aiston is as big a dick in English as he is in Polish (most handosme Englishman in Poland, my ARSE!!)
3)Wałęsa still uses every chance he can get to have a dig at political opponents
4) but his cleaners are crap - the plaque outside his office was completely smeared
5) BBC Translators are either not particularly good or they copped out with relating what the ex-president said exactly

Worth a download for anyone who has torrents on their comp

http://www.mininova.org/tor/954213 - you need to register at http://www.thebox.bz/signup.php but it's worth it as they have a lot of good quality UK TV.

I agree they have plenty of crud. I particularly hate the plethora of tacky cabaret and game shows. But then I am the sort who hates strictly come dancing, Pop Idol, "how do you solve a problem like Maria?", the X factor, any game show etc. I have met people who can sit through these shows and enjoy them, and I find this ability quite intriguing....

They do have some good programmes on Polish tv too. I like TV Polonia. They have some good films (sans dubbing) and I think some of the soap operas are very well written and acted.