Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shops to Close on Poland's Holidays

It's worse in the Czech republic. Some big cities are like ghost towns on saturday.

The saturday shopping hours are an old tradition. I don't know whether working hours in Poland have now changed to be more in line with Western Europe and the states etc. They used to start work at 8am and finish at something like three pm and then have a meal with their family.

Working hours in Poland are extremely long - gone are the good ol' days.

"Working hours in Poland are extremely long - gone are the good ol' days. "

Some people work extremely long hours here - me included. And people here complain bitterly if they're forced by their company to have a lunchbreak - most would rather get home earlier instead. I'm seen as a bit unusual in always taking one.

Though the early finish isn't entirely dead. The Warsaw rush-hour seems to start about 2.30 some days, often earlier on Friday and factories in parts of the countryside (& offices too) find that a lot of staff just disappear during the harvest.

The shop-closures suck though. Not everybody observes the grave-visiting (and unless you have an extended family spread around different towns it doesn't neccessarily take very long anyway) and people paid by the hour low-paid jobs would usually rather go to work.

The crowds of people lining up to buy food at the local petrol station near my flat is testimony to the fact that there's a demand for shops, even on a religious holiday. Stopping this daft and restrictive law is the first thing Tusk should do.

November 1st 15:30
Son, aged 13, asked, "Do we have any more graves to visit?" (slightly desperate tone)
Answer (from mother) "It's a tradition ... (explanation and plea to patience and forebearing lasts several minutes).
Son: (even more desperate tone) "It's just I want to do a wee!"
It's already become a family classic. Perfect timing and delivery.