Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Non-Catholic Children in Poland

I ask because my husband is the usual C of E Protestant Englishman and he would rather our son was the same ...

I'm not so sure, there wouldn't be rather a lot of disadvantages; and would like him to go the Catholic route. Not because I have strong Catholic beliefs, but, because life, and especially school, will be easier.

do you have my email? feel free to contact me thataway if you're interested. [no earth-shattering news, just don't need to share here]

Yes. I'll drop you a line.

We get it in the neck from time to time even though we're catholic. We're perceived to be protestant because I'm English.

Mind you, I do occasionally wind people up by saying I'm "Christian", which they automatically understand as being protestant, then as the conversation unfurls I reveal that I go to a catholic church whereupon the other person exclaims that I am being dishonest going to an RC church ... errrm ... because I'm a Christian!! Hence Papists must worship ...?

Most Poles have little or no knowledge of the bible or what being a Christian, Catholic or Protestant means.

Anybody disagree?

My mother-in-law is a perfect example. She plainly has never read the bible. Has no concept of what a Protestant is. Yet she goes to church every week and has pictures of Jesus, the Pope, or a crucifix in every room of her house!

My wife has always been a church-going catholic but knows less than me because I went to a protestant school and had to study the Bible, OT and NT.

Religious studies lessons - an idea that hasn't made it to Poland yet. Does anybody know how to say "religious studies" or "religious education" in Polish?

religioznawstwo

Well I've read bits and pieces of the bible over the years. My favourite gospel is Luke and my favourite book is Sirach (which apparently the Catholic church only reluctantly accepts). I'm not exactly a model Catholic though as I was arguing with my parents about religion from an early age and I think I was testing God by asking for things when only a toddler. Most memorable was challenging my parents about the papal issue of indulgences 500 years ago (or whenever) and being labelled a heretic by my dad. To tell the truth I found religion quite frightening as a child and didn't really enjoy going to church until I visited Poland in 1980 aged 13. I'm very open minded about religion now and have no problems going to church. I have a strong belief in Christianity and also lean a little towards buddhism (I see parallels but buddhists are apparently lacking enlightenment when it comes to accepting Christians). My mum sees me as a lost cause (and she's very open minded about a lot of things, compared to a lot of Polish women her age). But religion is a very personal thing. Nobody should lecture anyone else how they should approach it, because you cannot force it. I'm probably more religious /Christian minded than some of the people who go to church every day.

As to non Catholic kids in Poland, well Poland is changing. Older Poles find it difficult but I think young Poles are very open minded. I know a couple (the mother is Polish and the father of Jewish origin and born in the UK). They have a daughter and have moved to Poland (Krakow). Apparently the daughter was being bullied in catholic school in London for having a jewish father. She is getting on much better at a school in Poland.

Polish ministery of education states that children must do RE in schools, the curriculum is catholic religion only, I had a Swedish vicer teaching the kids and we were warned that we were not following the curriculum as he was introducing other religions, kids lived hime, parents loved him. He left and we were forced to have a catholic priest. The kids refused to go to the lessons. We had a huge war with 'MEN'.
Result- MEN 1 us 0