Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Poles in the USA

"Do they circumcise their baby boys like the average American? "

Isn't this only Jewish Americans?

70% of American men feel the breeze ...

My experience of America indicates that many Poles have integrated 100%. Many do not teach their kids Polish and change their surnames. They don't want to be seen as immigrants, they want to be good American citizens loving their country and waving the american flag at any opportunity, etc. On the other hand some are really into Polish culture and go the opposite way, but it's nothing like the UK and it is considered uncool at least by american media imagery. Mind you there was a reason for the over the top patriotism taught to kids born in post war britain to Polish emigres....they didn't plan to stick around for 50 years.

At the end of the day having any other culture in the US is considered highly uncool. All part of the taking hearts and minds from below and stamping out any dissident thinking by making everyone think the same brainwashed "we love america" line. I swear they put something in the water...in a highly individualistic culture, all elements of individualistic thinking are stamped out.

(ok mini-rant over) Ok waiting for Mike and slepo to point the nuclear missiles in my direction

Unfortunately your analysis fails for the reason that it assumes that a citizen’s relationship with the U.S. is dissociative or affected.

It is not that having any other culture in the U.S. is considered uncool; it is not a fad or fashion thing. It is the openness and diversity that invites others to participate that is so beguiling. It is also the earned respect for that openness and diversity that engenders a fierce defense for a nation that allows such opportunity and inclusiveness. Simply stated the end effective result is that U.S. society is tolerant of the tolerant and intolerant of the intolerant. Viscerally Americans understand that they must work mutually to sustain an environment of individuality.

There is no “they” making people think anything or taking hearts and minds. There is, however, a commonality of purpose to which people subscribe. There is nothing monolithic about American society other than its appreciation of the environment that it has created.

“It is the openness and diversity that invites others to participate that is so beguiling. It is also the earned respect for that openness and diversity that engenders a fierce defense for a nation that allows such opportunity and inclusiveness. Simply stated the end effective result is that U.S. society is tolerant of the tolerant and intolerant of the intolerant.”

Well said brother

It is difficult to explain to your average European. Even Brits, which are closest to us culturally dont get it.

Ania’s comments on “waving the flag” mirror what every single European I know says about it when they come over for a visit. They don’t understand why people keep flags on their lawns. Americans are just proud to be American. I won’t even go into it here, but I tell you what Ania – there is something to be said about the land of the free and home of the brave.

"but I tell you what Ania – there is something to be said about the land of the free and home of the brave. "

I agree Mike - there are lots of things to be said! There must be something you and slep don't think is perfect there.....come on don't be shy!

Ania, I am not having this conversation with you, but let’s just say that judging by the amount of people who risk their lives every day to set foot in the US and how much Americans love their country it must be an amazing place. Or God's Country, as we call it (I know you like that one)

Seriously – once you live somewhere else for a longer period of time you learn to appreciate the good ol’ USA.

Or God's Country, as we call it (I know you like that one)

Seriously – once you live somewhere else for a longer period of time you learn to appreciate the good ol’ USA.

Mike Mike, hmmm don't torture me by this type of nonsense talk, it just shows how much Americans have been brain washed and up themselves.
History will view current America as a evil empire, I draw your attention to its involvement in wars ie Iraq, I'm amazed that people like you Mike C don't zero in and advertise your rich Polish background, I would prefer to be called a Pole than a American (anytime)

have been brain washed and up themselves.

Offbeat hardly the person to say that

I have met great Americans, Great poles Great Brits Great Germans....... I have also met stupid ones. That is the world.
Never been to the USA but Americans are proud as are many nationalities.
Live and let live.

Yeah bro'

"Mike Mike, hmmm don't torture me by this type of nonsense talk, it just shows how much Americans have been brain washed and up themselves.
History will view current America as a evil empire, I draw your attention to its involvement in wars ie Iraq, I'm amazed that people like you Mike C don't zero in and advertise your rich Polish background, I would prefer to be called a Pole than a American (anytime) "

Every nation has its own feelings about itself, and the USA has a lot more than most to be proud of. As for involvement in wars, as the leading superpower it would be more remarkable if they didn't.