Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tesco, Gorzów, Poland!

Soemthing which may be of particular interest to Original Mark, Hans, and Wild Phelps !

Footage of women undressing in Polish Tesco changing room posted on the internet

Tesco has promised a full investigation after changing room footage of scantily clad women in one of its Polish stores was posted on the internet.

The company said it was "appalled" by the film, which includes a running commentary, and is thought to have been shot by security guards at the store in Gorzow, western Poland.

The footage reportedly shows a girl under the age of 16 trying on a bra, and another young woman trying on a swimsuit. It is thought the footage was filmed during a summer sale period when the store had erected temporary changing rooms without a roof.

A spokeswoman for Tesco in the UK told Personnel Today: "We are appalled by this incident and we are currently assisting the police with their investigation. Tesco complies with Polish law and does not permit the use of CCTV footage in any of its changing facilities."

Robert Polis, a customer at Tesco's Gorzow store, told a local newspaper he was angered by the film. "If I found out that someone had taken those sorts of pictures of my wife, I would give them a kick in the face," he said.

The retail giant, which has 107 stores in Poland employing more than 20,000 staff, was accused earlier this year of treating workers in its Polish stores "like criminals". Shop-floor workers said they were subjected to "rough and humiliating" body searches and "aggressive and degrading" behaviour from store managers.

Re: Tesco, Gorzów, Poland!

My guess is that it was the 'Manhattan' store.

Shocking! where are these discusting videos

I looked on You Tube. Couldn't find them .

This all actually took place about 6 months ago. Not much to see, but an invasion of privacy certainly.

"It is thought the footage was filmed during a summer sale period when the store had erected temporary changing rooms without a roof. "

well that was just asking for trouble wasn't it...!

On a similar theme - anyone else get annoyed by Polish supermarket security people (50 something year old alcoholics with moustaches) ...

Plus market is worst for this.

I'm still mad at a brown female security guard at Stansted airport confiscating a jar of my aunt's best bramble jelly due to it being a terrorist threat. "Just following orders, Sir."

Alcoholic Lechs ain't a patch on that cow.

Why are you mad at her? Do you expect her to make an exception for you for some reason?

I wanted to eat the terrorist threat!

I don't mind security at airports. Better that than some mad muslim blowing up the plane!

Maybe *she* wanted to eat the terrorist threat! Was she a big lady?

The rules are clear.
We used to throw away loads of cosmetics, drink, jam all sorts. The same rules apply all over Europe but they are too lazy to inforce the rules, Italy and spain being the worse.

So many people complain about the no liquids and 1 item of baggage but if the had problems on a plane they would be the first to moan.

In my local Albert supermarket, the miserable looking security guard follows me around and lears right into the trolley. Does this mean that Poles shoplift a lot, hence the high security? Or is it just a symptom of lack of trust?

Is that in the UK Jon?

It's here in Warsaw. For sure people shoplift in the UK, but the security measures to stop it here are amazing. There are still shops where an old lady follows you around and stares angrily, like the bookshop on Nowy Świat. It's amazing they sell anything at all. There's a small supermarket in central Warsaw (on ul. Hoża) where there's a rule that all customers must be followed. When there's a few customers in, it's quite spectacular to see the staff darting around from person to person.

Also, in some supermarkets, when people buy something in a box, like toothpaste, they open the box to make sure that there isn't a more expensive product in it. I can't be the only person who feels rather depressed when that happens.

Goes back to communist times when they had everything behind the counter. Maybe they are still getting used to trusting customers with the merchandise. Given that people with no money will probably try everything I'm not surprised they check the boxes.

Maybe that's why they take out bras in Marks and spencer in the UK, making out they are checking the size is right...

I could measure you (... he says helpfully)