Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Poles hate lamb - what's wrong with them??

When we talk about lamb lets get our defintions in order ie

Lamb — a young sheep under 12 months of age which does not have any permanent incisor teeth in wear
Hoggett — a young male sheep or maiden ewe having no more than two permanent incisors in wear
Mutton — a female (ewe) or castrated male (wether) sheep having more than two permanent incisors in wear.
In Australia the definitions are extended to include ewes and rams, as well as being stricter on the definition for lamb which is:

Lamb — 0 permanent incisors; female or castrate entire male ovine 0-12 months (note that the Australian definition requires 0 permanent incisors, whereas the New Zealand definition allows 0 incisors 'in wear'.)
Other definitions include:

Lamb — a young sheep that is less than one year old
Baby lamb — a milk-fed lamb between six and eight weeks old
Spring lamb — a milk-fed lamb, usually three to five months old
Yearling lamb — a young sheep between 12 and 24 months old.
The younger the lamb is, the smaller the lamb will be, however, the meat will be more tender. Sheep mutton is meat from a sheep over two years old, and has a less tender flesh. In general, the darker the colour, the older the animal. Baby lamb meat will be pale pink, while regular lamb is pinkish-red.

The best lamb sells in oz for about 7$Au a Kg about 18zl a kg

My girl had never eaten lamb before she left Poland. And i've never seen it for sale in Polish restaurants. Believe me, i've looked. I can't stand Pork!

That's because Poles think of lamb as being mutton Neil. I don't know anyone in the UK who would go for mutton chops over pork chops. I don't know how many Poles ask how many incisors the sheep had, they just equate the word baranina with poor quality meat, which mutton is also seen as in the UK.

Basically where there is no demand supply will dry up. As I found to my surprise at my local tescos which has stopped selling ecover products much to my dismay.

Our local Tesco Polska store had a single consignment of frozen lamb from Ireland before Christmas. It sold quickly. This was the first time I had ever eaten lamb.

There's only one shop fairly locally that sells lamb. It's frozen, bloody expensive, and as tough as old boots.

Maybe this should be entitiled "Poles hate mutton". It would then have zero posts

I don't believe Poles see a difference between mutton or lamb. They eat neither.

Pork and chicken are the Polish meats of choice.

The young lamb meat we have in the UK is very hard to find in Poland so most people don't know if they like it.