Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should Christianity be scoffed at?

The UK PC brigade says yes, and that all religions are bad but that only Christianity should be openly laughed at because you can get away with it.

(Polish) Catholicism has unresolved issues with child molestation (is it really bad?) and fully resolved issues with gender discrimination, sex, contraception, abortion, homosexuality, child brainwashing, evil spirits and a host of other betes noires of the liberal world.

Is Christianity worth supporting? Or should we throw in the towel entirely?

Re: Should Christianity be scoffed at?

I think all religions should be treated with respect. In the UK I think it's now illegal to incite religious hatred. Faith is a very individual thing and whatever the religious organisation's actions, this to me is separate from the essence that is faith.

Personally I don't see why all religions should be treated with respect by default - rather I think respect should be earned, as with any other thing or person.

By your tenet, if a new religion started which required the cruel sacrificing of cute hamsters as part of its rituals, then you would by default respect it - or is there more to it than that?

In fact I think that the whole idea of telling people what they should respect (almost everything it seems in today's PC society) without properly justifying it leads a thin veneer of superficial feeling which hides real personal opinions in quite an unhealthy way.

Interesting that life of cute hamsters is considered more important than less cute cows, sheep, pigs sacrificed as a norm for food.

If someone has a belief then that should be tolerated rather than ridiculed. That's part of a democratic society. Live and let live rather than political correctness.

As for freedom of speech there is some glaring inconsistency there. At the moment what we have is one group that it's ok to ridicule because they aren't going to set a bounty on the head of anyone who says the wrong thing, but not ok to ridicule other religions. The rules should therefore be equal for all religions rather than be lax for some because you can get away with it.

Well that's exactly my point. I find halal quite disgusting - should I suppress my feelings and force myself to respect that?

Do you respect other barbaric religious rituals, such as female circumcision?

My point is that you can't just say that all religions should automatically merit respect, without qualifying it a bit more.

"Do you respect other barbaric religious rituals, such as female circumcision?"

This goes back to the debate about what is considered normal. As I have said before, behaviour we accept as normal is abhorrent to some cultures. Does that mean we should be disrespected for our norms?

So you are saying that something like female circumcision is only bad because of our definition of normal - and that we should not judge it by our standards, because each set of morals is equally valid?

Sorry I don't buy that - to me it is quite clear (objectively speaking) which position holds the higher ground (and you don't need religious scripture to arrive at that conclusion).

Anyway I think this is something that could go on for a while, so I'll let it go ;)

"Sorry I don't buy that - to me it is quite clear (objectively speaking) which position holds the higher ground (and you don't need religious scripture to arrive at that conclusion)."

I guess I can't buy that any opinion is truly objective. Norms are developed over time, based on incremental shifts in perception. 100 years ago it was considered unacceptable for a woman to show her ankle in public. In some countries that is still unacceptable. Who are we to judge whether that is right or wrong when we held the same view not that long ago?

One interesting example of this discrepancy between right and wrong is the variation of the age of consent throughout the world.

Anyway my view is that such opinions should not be forced on groups. Any change has to come from within the group itself not from interfering "do-gooders".