Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Catholic Christening Poland

Anyone have any experience of or thoughts on Catholic Christening in Poland?

Re: Catholic Christening Poland

Exactly the same as in England.

Boring service, irritating relatives with cameras, baby fills its pampers, cries, a party according to personal taste afterwards, mother-in-law unhappy with something or other.

Nobody else?

Catholic Christening, in general, then.

What do you want to know?

You usually have two godparents who state their faith while holding lit white candles (or maybe everyone holds candles). The mother usually holds the baby. The priest christens the baby by annointing it and pouring a little water over its head from the christening urn. If the baby cries Polish tradition says that this means the devil is leaving the baby (I did not cry as I was a very polite baby )

The baby wears a nice dress and has photos taken. If it is a boy these photos will embarrass him forever as the dress is usually frilly and lacy and be-ribboned.

There is then a Christening party (which is what most of the people have come for after all). At this party, people get drunk and exchange Christening gifts for the baby.

I've been to CofE Christenings and Catholic ones and there is little difference except that in English churches they seem to like to do the Christening during mass so everyone in the congregation can take part.

By the way if you want to see a fine example of a Catholic christening then rent out the film "the Godfather"

Has someone asked you to be Godfather????

I wonder if you can be a godparent if you a baptised Christian, but aren't Catholic?

It seems you can be one in the CofE if you aren't CofE but are Christian. I was for my friend's child. The Catholic church is more fussy, especially in Poland.

If you have the misfortune of being nominated as godparent, beware you will be digging into your pockets all your life.
The Christening present is no holy picture or book, its a expensive bicycle or the like.

"The Christening present is no holy picture or book, its a expensive bicycle or the like. "

A bicycle for a baby?

I think you mean that you are expected to buy nice Christmas and birthday presents as the child grows up (and when they are an adult). For the Christening present itself it is acceptable to get something silver or to do with christianity.

Ania, no, not a Godfather. Just trying to gather some information and thoughts on Catholic Christening. I'm CofE. My wife is Catholic. Our son will be Catholic. We had considered having it done in England, but, as Ania and Angela state Godparents should be Catholics. However, in my part of England, Catholics are few and far between.

ONE of the godparents has to be Catholic.

The other can be any Christian - sorry, no Jehovah's Witnesses or Mad-Hatter-Day Morons. The Roman church says they don't count.

Well, seeing as no other bugger is going to say it:

"CONGRATULATIONS MAGDA & SIMON"

Well done fella, welcome to the club.

We had our son Christened in church here. As long as you get a tame priest, it's no great shakes.

Do it, get it over with, move on to real life.

Let me know if there's any other deeply philosophical fathering advice I can share :)

Thank you, Mark

I will be sure to consult you when in need of advice .

The Priest will be visiting shortly to collect his after Christmas donation and to sprinkle some water around the flat. We'll get the full lowdown on Christening from him.

We're also about to arrange the same .

Does the Father have to speak during the ceremony?

We had to get permission from our Parish priest (at the gaff where the Pope pitched up) and he was extremely uncooperative.

Right up until I threatened to write to Kwasniewski and the Archbishop of Westminster.

That learned him.

"Does the Father have to speak during the ceremony? "

Yes, but not very much .

The Priest will be visiting shortly to collect his after Christmas donation and to sprinkle some water around the flat. We'll get the full lowdown on Christening from him.

---

Is this usual?