Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Polish ads in UK

Why do they have ads in Polish at luton airport?

They have a big billboard ad for credit cards written in Polish as you come out of arrivals. This sort of thing is overboard and unecessary. I don't see them putting up ads in urdu or cantonese (both large groups represented in the british population) so why Polish? This is the sort of thing that makes me uncomfortable. As an ethnic Pole I am living in the UK and I don't want everything to be in Polish because this isn't Poland. I guess anyone can buy advert space, but it freaks me out a bit.

Re: Polish ads in UK

Have you been on holiday, Ania?

Yes for some wintersun

Not sure if the Polish language billboards at UK airports annoy me more or less than the English language billboards here in Warsaw "There is only ONE, Wilanow ONE" etc.

When you get them here, they aren't aimed at foreign residents or visitors, instead, they're uaually aimed at aspirational Poles as a kind of advertising flattery.

I know where you are coming from, but English is very widely spoken in the world. Polish is not. It's also encouraging those who come over to take out (possibly dubious) credit. As I've said before, I don't agree with the way Poles are being encouraged to come and work and live here. I also don't understand why so many brits are on benefits when there is so much work around. Something is very wrong with the system.

There are always small ads in Polish in my local newspaper. Chiefly in the jobs and rental sections.

The answer to the benefit culture - stop benefits after say 6 months.

"There are always small ads in Polish in my local newspaper. Chiefly in the jobs and rental sections."

I'm not sure I agree with this either. The local newsagent has handwritten ads on little postcards in its window. I haven't checked for a long time, but I remember seeing an ad for the illegal sale of imported cigarettes written in Polish. I think there may have once been an ad for marijuana too. If a newspaper puts in ads in Polish they should be careful of legal consequences.

" I think there may have once been an ad for marijuana too"

Somebody should Grass them up!

As for loan adverts, the legal loanshark community has never been slow in exploiting the naive, immigrants, the poor, etc..

Jon,
That Wilanow ad gets my goat too - see it every day.