Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hundreds of Poland's criminals flee to UK

Hans this is another anti Polish article, I wouldn't get over excited about its contents, you may want to consider the fact that if there are over 1m Poles working in Britain this is a very small percentage indeed.
People should be more worried with the Romanians and Bulgarians who are on the loose and who haven't been detected for there crimes. If it comes to crime look at the United States, there are currently more than 1 million people behind bars out of a population of 300 million. That reminds me there are a lot of nasty crimes committed in Germany.. hmmm

It's from a national newspaper reporting facts so if it's anti-Polish tough luck. Perhaps Poles shouldn't commit so many crimes

Perhaps Polish police should be less efficient? At least they are going to Polish prisons. Be thankful for the work the Polish police are doing. Why are british police not checking whether someone is wanted in another country before letting them into the UK in the first place? They scan passports now so there is supposed to be a database for this reason.

These stats need far more analysis if they are to be of any use in making assumptions about a nation's criminality.

>>Why are british police not checking whether someone is wanted in another country before letting them into the UK in the first place? They scan passports now so there is supposed to be a database for this reason.

Actually, the Polish authorities scan everyone's passports at the airport as you leave the country (at least at all of the Polish airports I've been to).

They scan when you leave the UK too. Someone told me it's to check whether you have paid all your parking tickets!

“It's from a national newspaper reporting facts so if it's anti-Polish tough luck. Perhaps Poles shouldn't commit so many crimes”

Offbeat, she just proved your point buddy. Less than 100 hundred Poles out of more than 1,000,000. It is laughable that this even gets reported. Compared to other immigrant groups in Great Britain (especially non-European) these numbers are completely insignificant. Poland is also one of the largest European countries and the largest recent EU addition.

Another sensationalist article. Newspapers are in the business of selling newspapers, not reporting facts. Then again, many people get excited over anything they read.

BTW, the US prison population is over 2,000,000. There are more than 5,000,000 former inmates currently on parole or probation.

The number is 70 per cent higher than from any other country!!

Too many of Poland 'unemployables' are coming here.
Yes it is worthy of an article.

"The number is 70 per cent higher than from any other country!!"

70% of what? You don't have enough information to make comparisons. I am amazed nobody sees the positive of this and is so easily taken in by media hype.

The fact that hundreds of convicted criminals and Poles on the run from justice in Poland are being sent back to Poland each month, certainly makes it worthy of reporting .

All foreigners should be checked on arrival at Dover.

My local newspaper's crime report is full of Polish names. And these Poles are being convicted of offences here.

If you examine crime figures you will see that the vast majority of crimes committed in major UK cities is committed by immigrants or the offspring of immigrants. Blacks top of the list by a long way. The same as in the US.

So I am now a criminal?

Nobody is saying that all Poles are criminals

But didn't the Polish President or Prime Minister refer to the recent Polish immigrants to the UK as riff-raff?

What was the exact quote...?

Translate "feckless"

I'd be interested to hear the original Polish quote if anyone has it. The newspapers quoted the translation. The translator was apparently criticised in the Polish media for not using the right word.

Polish newspapers and politicians often state that because of the mass exodus of the unemployable (in Poland), crime has gone down and the official unemployment figures dropped. It wasn't just the President who said this once. It's a constant theme.

The latest Polish news reports tell of people earning big bucks in Ireland or Britain and continuing to claim disability or unemployment handouts here in Poland.

Almost all Poles working in Germany - many hundreds of thousands unofficially - claim to be disabled or unemployed back in POland.