Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jitters among UK Poles as pound plummets

Although Poles earn more in the UK, we should not forget the cost associated with food, transport and accommodation whilst living in the UK,,, the worst aspect in all this is the missed opportunities if they had remained in Poland.

Perhaps this would be a good year for a holiday in the UK ...

Varsovian, life in the UK is getting extremely complex. There seems to be an attitude of micro-managing the population. Nanny state and all that. It makes for a stressful time. Soon breathing will be a criminal offence.

2 more years of Brown.

There is no-one with any real grasp of what's going on or how to get out of this paralysis. Much as I disliked Thatcher, at least she wasn't scared to ask big questions.

Now all you get is endless ranks of local govt bureacrats discussing things and getting nowhere at great expense. Central govt just calls in Accenture, Deloitte, PwC and other self-serving no-hopers who demand big-buck fees for hopeless advice.

''the worst aspect in all this is the missed opportunities if they had remained in Poland''

Like free housing, tax credits, help with opening a new company, housing benefits and a minimum wage of 35 Zloty per hour. I agree. Most will never return. My wife has said she is more at home here than in Poland. 13 years of running acompany there, daily hassles with bribes, fiddling and 'aranging' things.
In the UK things are more black and white (I am not talking about the people).

I must say that last time we went back was the final straw, low pound and high prices, none of the Poles I know are going to return, Poland is now just too expensive to live in, on the wages.

It has simply forced them to stay away. Another fantastic result from the old government. Well done but as Kaczynski said "there are plenty of workers in China". Polska dla Polakow not any more.

Nice to see you posting again, Dajwid.

Too many others are unwilling to say anything even a little critical of Poland.

Most Poles who can speak any sort of either German or English have left and won't be back. The only Poles that have stayed are the rich, those unable to move for whatever reason, and the complete no-hopers.

Poland is now a land for the rich.

It's highly unlikely that many of those who have left will ever be back to live in Poland. Life is just to easy in western Europe and the Poles who have left are unlikely ever to be rich enough to live well in Poland.

"Poland is now just too expensive to live in, on the wages."

VERY TRUE.

I've noticed that Poles now have completely unrealistic expectations on house and apartment prices. Polish builders and laborers also want to be paid German and English rates for substandard work.

It's highly unlikely that many of those who have left will ever be back to live in Poland. Life is just to easy in western Europe and the Poles who have left are unlikely ever to be rich enough to live well in Poland.

Interesting Hans, you may want to explain what you are doing living in Poland, I just hope your not one of those complete no-hopers!..hmmm

My wife is Polish! I am also fortunate to have a very nice lakeside house. But Poland is only my second home. It always will be.

Now 1GBP = 4.73PLN!

I wonder when the slide will stop?

No problem! The treasury can sell some gold reserves so that the Bank of England doesn’t have to raise interest rates to maintain the pound’s value without slowing the economy and spurring inflation.

Oh, sorry; that’s right, Brown sold over 60% of the gold reserves for $275 an ounce fifteen years ago.

Britain is screwed.

Britain is screwed.

Oh no the millions of Poles have made a mistake!

Gold!

Yes, Gordon "the Moron" Brown even went as far as to tell the world several months in advance that he was going to sell lots of gold - the market prepared for it by lowering its prices considerably.

His wacky ideas hit the headlines again recently as the chickens came home to roost in the banking supervision sector. In 1998 he took away full responsibility for overseeing the banks from the Bank of England and made it rule by a committee of 3 institutions. All of them are pointing at each other as the guilty parties. The other banks are saying "I told you so" - as they had been warning the govt about Northern Rock for 10 years.