Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brits are ignorant hypocrites

The UK media is full of green awareness, healthy eating, people discussing personal relationships with a hitherto unparalleled openness, and amazing educational advances and yet the reality is completely different.

All Brits who visit me seem to be permanently stuck in the bathroom! For one reason or another.
They haven't twigged that a large intake of milk has certain, huh-hum, toilet effects. So they top up with a health yoghurt. (You couldn't make this up!)
They shower 2 times a day, 15 mins each time. In winter (how do they get that dirty?).
Brits throw rubbish everywhere.
Few have a compost heap for all their wasted food. How can you throw bread in the bin?
Young Brits are incredibly narrow-minded when it comes to eating different food.
They talk in cliches all the time - bloody irritating.
They seem unable to do the washing up (and rinsing) without a machine.
They seem unwilling to cook food from scratch.
Baking is out of the question.
They have zero knowledge about current affairs outside of media saturated Parliamentary issues and Madeleine McCann.
They bizarrely think that Britain doesn't suffer from large-scale corruption in local and central govt.
Faced with hardships or emergencies, they either panic, moan or groan, instead of doing something about it. They are loud, uncouth and overdramatic. And unwilling to help others, or adapt their behaviour so as to not annoy or inconvenience other people.
TV comedians seem to confuse shouting with being funny.
There are too many lazy Brits.
They have no knowledge of geography, or actually of anything at all apart from what 'celebrities' are doing. State education is a desert.
They seem unwilling or unable to forge stable, healthy relationships - the women want to be single mothers (after 'enduring' several years of living together and 3 years of marriage), and men end up visiting prostitutes. The UK divorce system gives women with children financial encouragement to divorce their husband and take up with another man.
They grasp what Christmas is about, but are baffled by Easter.
But I like the pubs, especially in the countryside.

Re: Brits are ignorant hypocrites

What is it with you and milk!?

I really couldn't explain - you'd have to simply live through jettisoning it.
After a month without chocolate, I eat it and it tastes good.
Ditto with chips, beer, bananas whatever.

After a month without milk, you simply can't stand the stuff in any quantity. And you appreciate cutting your toilet paper use by 80%.
I'm no green freak, so I really couldn't care about the inherent cruelty to dairy cows, though some might. 'Veal campaigners' and animal welfare bleedin' hearts shouldn't drink milk, for example. Unless they're hypocrites ... or British.

'm not sure about dairy because yoghurt makes me feel great, but think the whole traditional Polish diet is bad for me. So it must be bad for others too. They have found a definite link between bowel cancer and smoked meat like bacon and ham. I also think all the pickled stuff is unhealthy.

I know brits who have a compost heap. I hate washing up (dishwashers are a blessing indeed). I love cooking from scratch & baking. If I see another article about the Mccans I will scream. I do something about it, but get stressed. I do help people, but I do also adapt my behaviour. I only find Jack dee funny. State education - agreed. Can't comment on prostitutes or divorce. Not sure many grasp what Christmas is about these days. Agreed pubs are lovely, especially now they are smoke free.

Varsovian you forgot about the new smoking culture, probably because you've not come across it yet. It's very annoying and silly that people all stand outside to smoke. This is a new thing since the ban.

"After a month without milk, you simply can't stand the stuff in any quantity. And you appreciate cutting your toilet paper use by 80%."

Well I have given up or rather cut down completely on milk on more than one occasion and it does make you feel better. Dairy used to make me bloated, tired, and gave me ibs at one point. However, I think yoghurt or in Poland siadle mleko (sitting milk) is very good for you.

What is really good for you is to give up potatoes. Our bodies were not made to eat potatoes. Particularly chips and crisps. Yummy but very bad for your digestion and immune system.

Polish ham producers used to put in a whole load of preserving agent called 'saletra' which made it taste great. Unfortunately, it was a strong carcinogen and shot Poland to the top of the stomach cancer tables.
The old geezers are right - ham doesn't taste the way it used to!

I eat little pork anyway, and as I'm not a kanapki man I don't eat much pickles either. I used to love Branston ...

Smokers - dirty horrible people. Let 'em huddle miserably outside. Discos - let people smell the sweat which the fumes used to cloak!

For porfessional reasons I'm interested in food science - one of the big things EU-wide is new ways of frying/roasting potatoes to reduce toxin production.
I secretly nibbled on some crisps last night - not many but they tasted so good. I used to eat much more (with beer), but they kept on giving me mouth ulcers. I can't remember having an ulcer since.

If this thread was about Poles then everyone would complain. No time for lengthy response, but.

"Brits throw rubbish everywhere."

Have you ever looked around a Polish street or forest? Much worse.

Oh come on, let us not get into another "X is worse in UK/Poland" squabbles!

I don't agree with many of Varsovarian's points in this post - but let's try and defend Blighty without slagging of Polska!

slagging-off rather

The soaring UK rat and urban fox populations symbolise wasteful, throwaway Britain.

They say foxes have moved to cities because of intensive farming in their natural habitat. Rats live in the ancient sewer systems and have been around for centuries. Most councils have pest control sections.

What I find shocking is the amount of food supermarkets destroy past its sell by date. Most of it is still edible.

Worse still is the piles of uneaten food thrown away by Brits. You can sort of understand stuff going off in the fridge, but it's the uneaten food left on plates and just chucked into the bin that galls me.

Brits as a group consciously disrespect food.

Supermarkets tap into this stupidity by selling towards shoppers' weaknesses. Sparkling, attractive fruit and veg with a long shelf life, instead of food which tastes good - perhaps apples with skin blemishes or potatoes which are not perfectly round or scrubbed. I'm going to leave it there - I don't want to think about it any longer.

Most of our leftovers get recycled by the local stray cat, raven, magpie and ...um fox population. Also I really do know Brits who still have a compost heap and conscientiously recycle their organic waste!

"Sparkling, attractive fruit and veg with a long shelf life, instead of food which tastes good - perhaps apples with skin blemishes or potatoes which are not perfectly round or scrubbed. "

ok guilty as charged! ::hangs head:: but if it looks nice it tastes better! there is my excuse ...

"guilty as charged"

oops! was that a cliche?!

"The UK divorce system gives women with children financial encouragement to divorce their husband and take up with another man."

Is this true?

BTW - has anybody been keeping up with the McCartney divorce trial news ?

Magda, it goes like this:

Blair didn't like couples slagging each other off in court trying to find "blame" for marital breakdown. The idea was that it harmed the post-divorce relationship and the kids.

So, we went to a no-blame situation of divorce on demand. That made it easier to end married relationships and accentuated the current discriminatory legal mindset, where men are penalised by the courts habitually splitting the possessions 50/50 and imposing alimony settlements regardless of blame. And regardless of whether the woman enters into a new relationship essentially on the same terms but with another man.

Put 2 and 2 together. The wife meets a new man. She petitions for a no-blame divorce (I'm tired of him). The family home gets sold (or he is forced to move out). He pays alimony, while she has her job and the money coming in from the new man.

In sum - divorce gives the woman a one-off massive payment and sets her up in a new relationship where there are two and a half salaries coming in. The man ends up in poky, bachelor accommodation - often rented - that he's embarrassed to bring his kids to, thus reinforcing his general uselessness.

In the UK, 75% of divorces are initiated by women. Ever thought why that is?

And as for Heather, well - as part of some charity work I lived in the same house as a prostitute and she was obsessed with money.

4 years for GBP 55 million.

That's more than a 40 year-old whore can normally get, though she came off the game several years before she met Paul McC.

And he's not the first silly old man.

I read that as soon as she gets her cash she plans to leave Britain. She reckons nobody likes her