Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Problems with immigrants not speaking English

The UK government will focus its English-language funding on areas where improvements in "community cohesion" are required most, it has announced.

Ministers were forced to halt free English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes last year after a sharp upturn in demand placed strain on college intakes. In London mayor Ken Livingstone was forced to allocate £15 million to make up the shortfall as a result.

Now the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills is proposing prioritising future funding on areas which need the biggest improvements in integration.

Councils will be required to justify their requests for ESOL funding while businesses and the voluntary sector are also being asked to fill the gap where appropriate.

Skills secretary John Denham said good English language skills have a "vital role to play" in encouraging "community cohesion and integration".

"We must ensure that the priority is to reach long-term residents for whom poor English is a real barrier to integration in work or in the community," he said.

Some have questioned the government's commitment to providing translated materials after it announced last month it would seek to limit the provision of translations of official documents.

The move received criticism but was defended as a "commonsense approach" to the problem as a bid to encourage new immigrants to learn English by the government today.

Immigration minister Liam Byrne said: "It is vital that those we welcome into the UK to work and settle here play by the rules, learn English and use our language.

"People who want to come to the UK permanently, or as highly skilled workers are required to speak English. Now we want to go further and insist that anyone coming to Britain to work speaks English."

politics.co.uk

Re: Problems with immigrants not speaking English

Yeah - I demand free Polish lessons

Back in 1991 a Mr Khan at Kirklees Metropolitan Council explained to me exactly why Poles didn't qualify for grants (for course fees) when applying for teaching courses - "There aren't enough of them to constitute a minority". So my wife went to teach (French) intially without UK recognised qualifications and got them accredited after surviving a year in Wembley.

Non-UK Pakistanis, Indians and black Africans did qualify for course fees. Some Kazachs I knew didn't ... despite their differently-coloured skin.

The muslim 'world view' is similar to that of Nazism: proclaim that you are victims (Versailles) and make ever-increasing demands aimed at world domination. No appeasement would ever go far enough.

Two of my closest friends have married muslim girls. One stayed with me at Christmas, and I felt sincerely sorry for him - his wife has made ever-increasing demands on him. Dropping pork, I could live with ... but alcohol?? And she doesn't even pray (a duty 5 times a day). HE has to take their son to the mosque - it's a religion for men, you see.

My other friend stood his ground and neither gets in the way of his wife's religion, nor joins in.

The difference between them? Friend number 2 is a Christian while friend number 1 has no religious belief at all. He thought his hidden hypocritical atheism would give him an easy life - instead he finds himself taken over and his unspoken and unconsciously-held beliefs trampled on.

Friend number 1 is like the UK, my other mate is like Poland. Cultural relativism UK-style is cultural suicide.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2438570,00.html

Did these friends perhaps also leave your toilet in an awful state, use your shower too much, shirk the washing-up with some clichéd remark, disagree with your political views and leave half of the food you cooked for them on their plates?

"The difference between them? Friend number 2 is a Christian while friend number 1 has no religious belief at all. He thought his hidden hypocritical atheism would give him an easy life - instead he finds himself taken over and his unspoken and unconsciously-held beliefs trampled on."

Funny you should mention that. I once went out with a devout atheist who did not believe in marriage. I broke up with him after he said he was willing to compromise these beliefs if I wanted to get married. Now ok I am not exactly a model Catholic but I do strongly believe in marriage, but why would someone compromise their own strong beliefs just to keep me in his life? Either his own beliefs mean something or they don't. If they don't mean anything why have them in the first place? Somehow his ability to just put aside his beliefs made me think that any marriage to him would be merely meaningless manipulation. I knew that of course resentment against the institution he so despised would surface later on.

It's nice if you do the faith thing for the right reasons, not just to stop someone leaving you.

"shirk the washing-up with some clichéd remark"

haha I would love an example of a cliche to use to shirk washing up, but alas I have a dishwasher. Since the original comment, I am now on the lookout for cliches. And it's so true that they are abundant in any conversation, particularly at work.

http://www.bullshitbingo.net/cards/bullshit/

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/1460212,2678,1,1,na_porod_do_ojczyzny,kioskart.html

This article talks about birthing mothers who can't speak English.
Medical language is one thing that no foreigner can be fluent in - they don't teach it in any school. It really isolates you in hospital.