Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Poland's teachers protest over pay

...not to say that there aren't many excellent teachers who are truly in it to educate the young minds, etc. They're the ones that truly make the difference.

But, those are far few in between

Thank you for qualifying your post MikeC. I was deliberating whether or not to rise to the bait. You bring up a point worth discussing.

I think your comment can be applied to any career or profession. Good teaching requires more than just knowledge: it requires people skills, patience, and diligence (and a host of other attributes that cannot be easily listed). I think we have all had a teacher who obviously knew a lotbut could not convey it to the students. The teaching skill set is peculiar.

You mention the best and brightest go into the private sector. I think there is a very good reason for it: the value societies put into education. Why do you think 50% of new teachers end up leaving within the first two years? And another 20% leave within the first five years? Two reasons. First, teaching is a lot harder than people think. Two, why work so hard for such a small salary if you can make more in the private sector?

If you want to see a country that truly values education look at Finland. Teaching is considered to be one of the most respected professions in the country. Salaries are high, and competition for teaching positions is fierce. All teachers are required to have at least an MA. Put some value - societal and financial on something, and people will respond.

MikeC - If we (here I mean the U.S. - sorry to all the non-Americans out there) spent a quarter of what we spend on the defense budget on education, think of the possibilities. Schools would be palaces. The best and brightest would be fighting for jobs as teachers. Of course it is just a pipe dream of a teacher who has been grading too much. I need to stop now. I'm supposed to be checking if any students have e-mailed me some essays at the last minute. Grades are due tomorrow. I still have another hour of work or so... "Easy hours" - are you including the lesson prep and grading in your phrase?

Ignorance is bliss

Another way to respond to MikeC's post (in reference to my stats about teacher retention):

The private sector is full of people who couldn't (or wouldn't) last in a school.

One of the most damaging aspects of teaching currently in the United States is the segregated career path that teachers unions have fomented. This is created by the combination of requiring M.A.’ s in education and by only counting years of teaching service in computing pay scales. This has effectively excluded mid-career path persons with experience taking up teaching.

Back in High School the two best teachers I had were rather late into the profession. The mathematics instructor had been over twenty years in television broadcasting and the science instructor had been a chemist for Monsanto for over a decade. Back in those days what was required was an associate’s decree in teaching and schools would place you on a pay scale recognizing other work experience.

Today, those that may choose to take up teaching after other work experience simply cannot afford to take several years off to obtain the specialized teaching credentials just to start at the bottom of the pay scale.

Wildhelps, I agree with everything you said except that spending more resources will somehow improve results (this pertains to the US).

K-12: There are many school boards (in ONE county, there are single states with several) in the US with billion (that’s BILLION+) dollar budgets. Granted, mandatory busing (stupidity in the 21st century) takes up large portions of these budgets, we are talking about obscene amounts of money. At the end of the day, test results speak for themselves and clearly illustrate that there is no correlation between money spent per student and test results or grades.

Second, Teacher Unions are the cause of many problems in education (US). They’re preoccupied with politics instead of teaching, there have been numerous scandals involving embezzlement, and they fight any mandatory measures of accountability.
Anyway – this could go on forever but my only point was that throwing money around won’t solve the problem.

And as far as defense budget: Forget about the fact that our military guards our freedoms and protects our interests for a second. Think about how many high paying jobs are created and the ripple effect on local economy (including universities) whenever a defense –related manufacturer opens up a production facility anywhere in the US.

First let me say this has been one of our most substantive threads in months...

I agree that there is malfeasance in education throughout the world. And there is corruption and malfeasance in defense budgets as well.

Blackwater. Halliburton.

Wherever there is (any) government spending, there is probably also some malfeasance. I saw it as soldier in the U.S. Army, I saw it as a volunteer in the Peace Corps, and I have seen it as a teacher in the U.S. and in Poland.

malfeasance - that's a word one seldom comes across

Sounds like a cajun dish

Ant to mange to use it so many times in a couple of lines deserves respect indeed.

I will have one with rice please