Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Love thy neighbor

Last week, at the start of the return journey of a trip to the mountains, our car battery became flat.

We asked a few people parked around us if anybody had any jump leads. One guy did (the guy parked next to us) - however he said we'd have to pay him 20 zloty if he wanted to help us!

We eventually bump-started the car, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted to put it down to a random asshole, but after thinking about it I realised that I've had a number of such experiences in Poland (such as someone finding my lost phone and demanding their 20% finders fee before I could collect it, or delivery guys that won't lift a finger to help).

Why are altruistic acts so rare in a country that is so deeply 'Christian'?

Perhaps the weather is getting me down! or maybe I've just had some unlucky experiences - it would be interesting to hear other opinions.

Re: Love thy neighbor

I think it's because Poles see a foreigner and all they can think about is money.

We stayed in a guest house in a village just outside Poznan and later found out that we were charged four times the usual rate .

Anyway, whaddya mean "Christian"?
They don't even know Jesus was born out of wedlock.

I avoid buying many things in Poland, except at gas stations or hypermarkets where prices are clearly marked. Otherwise, the price increases tenfold when Poles discover you aren't Polish. Pure greed.

As for being Christian: most Poles has never read or own a Bible. The content to most is a complete mystery.

People used to help each other out for free when they broke down. Prob diff attitude towards foreigners given paltry wages they earn and assume you're a rich tourist.

Hans my dad used to always read it and I have one on the bookshelf by the bed which I read sometimes. Please don't include all Poles in your assumptions.

we've pulled 20zl from a few people we've helped ... but that's been for towing city slickers 10km home ... hauling them boot first from a field ... that sort of thing

basic "drag your clapped out 126 round the Lotos forecourt 'til it starts from pure fear of being pulled apart" comes for free. Especially for local yokels.

I've been flagged down more than once by Poles in anad around Warsaw; run out of fuel a few kilometres from the petrol station, dead battery on a cold morning, that sort of thing. I've always helped, and they've usually commented (in response to my broken Polish) that hardly anyone else lifts a finger.

Poland is still very much "every man for himself" in these little gestures of helpfulness.

“As for being Christian: most Poles has never read or own a Bible. The content to most is a complete mystery. “

Pure nonsense

Most Poles simply do not like carpetbagger Germans. Your perceptions are skewed.

As far as the Bible: two of my older siblings had to memorize the order of books in the Old as well as New Testament during their religion classes, as well as every major story. This was back in the 80’s (during communist Poland). I went to a Catholic school in the US and the curriculum was far less stringent. Notable that back then in Poland religion classes were purely voluntary yet nearly every child attended.

Bible quotes and biblical characters are ingrained in Polish folklore and traditions.

I'd think most Polish Catholics will know the New Testament inside out as that is the main focus of Catholicism. It's quoted at every mass and you have to know if for confirmation. The emphasis at Catholic schools in the UK is usually more on new rather than old.

I think in Poland all the schools used to be secular because of communism so the only religious education was through church and home. I wonder whether bibles were freely available in those days in the way they are now, given that communists frowned on organised religion.

People who are not local are easy targets for being ripped off, taxis, food, accommodation and of recent times Real Estate.
I wonder how many people have paid through the nose when buying a house or land and later finding out the property they brought was only worth half.
I have to admit in Oz things are a bit different.